cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Push” mail notification on Rogers Yahoo mail

mhancock0
I'm here a lot
As far as I can see with a Rogers Yahoo email account, and an Apple Mail client working with the latest iOS, “push” mail is not possible, and it must be fetched. Why is this? Any references to “push” email notification that I have read online state that any modern email server should be able to push the emails, rather than have my phone fetch them.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: “Push” mail notification on Rogers Yahoo mail

RogersMoin

Hello, @mhancock0.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The Mail app should be able to fetch new emails automatically; have you checked the ‘Fetch New Data’ settings for Rogers’ email?

Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts > Rogers email > Fetch New Data. If ‘Push’ is selected and it’s not downloading the emails automatically, then you can try selecting ‘Fetch’ and select ‘Automatically’. 

Please keep us posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Thank you for replying.
In my case running an iPhone 8 with the latest iOS, Push notification is not made available to me specifically in Rogers Yahoo accounts. The only options are Fetch or Manual. In the Fetch setting the options are automatically or after a specified time period. When in this setting it can be up to 15 or 30 minutes later that I get an email in my Apple Mail app after it has been received by the Rogers Yahoo servers and displayed in my Rogers Yahoo app.
Since my original post, I have learned that Apple Mail running in iOS will only fetch automatically if the phone is connected to Wi-Fi and in a charging state.
Does this make sense to you or any other forum members?
I cannot believe that Apple would put such restrictions on fetching mail. Perhaps not enough people use Apple Mail in iOS to be frustrated by this otherwise I’m sure Apple would have changed this procedure.

Gust11
I've been around

@mhancock0 wrote:
As far as I can see with a Rogers Yahoo email account, and an Apple Mail client working with the latest iOS, “push” mail is not possible, and it must be fetched. Why is this? Any references to “push” email notification that I have read online state that any modern email server should be able to push the emails, rather than have my phone fetch them.

look this out may be help you https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup/OptOnline

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Heres some important tidbit:

Yahoo! does not support IMAP "push" notifications to the native iOS mail client. You will need to set a preferred Fetch interval in the device settings to pull messages from Yahoo!

If you wish to get push notifications as messages arrive, you can install and use the Yahoo! Mail app for iOS.

You can try using the Yahoo! Mail app, maybe push mail works in their own app. but not in the native apple email application.   so that should answer your question.

Thanks for your reply. I do use the Rogers Yahoo iOS app and that is why I know that the Apple Mail native app takes so long to get the same email messages. It’s a real nuisance and I can’t see the reason for the limitation.
I have however noticed that when my Rogers accounts are set for fetch (as push is not available), that in the Auto setting the app will only fetch mail when the phone is on a Wi-Fi network and on “power“ which I assume means on a charger of some kind. Basically it’s every 15 minutes or that scenario for the most frequent fetching.
This is a limitation that really makes Apple Mail not very useful for day-to-day purposes. As you suggested, I do have my Rogers Yahoo! mail set up for banner notifications and in my case I make them persistent.
Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation