Pictures and videos sent over iMessage and Whatsapp are charged as MMS?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Pictures and videos sent over iMessage and Whatsapp are charged as MMS?

Last month I sent 6 pictures and videos over iMessage and Whatsapp from my 4S, but somehow Rogers still picked it up as MMS and charged me 50 cents for each. I thought these should be free of charge as they are using data? Or did I configure something incorrectly?

Anyone else has this problem?

Thanks,

Ronnie

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Pictures and videos sent over iMessage and Whatsapp are charged as MMS?

I don't think Rogers or any other provider would track multimedia messages sent through Whatsapp, and iMessage is definitly free if it's blue meaning yours and the device you're sending to has iMessage.

I use both services on a daily basis and I don't have any MMS as part of my package; never been charged for any. What I do get charged for is if I share contacts for example via text, that counts as MMS, or obviously if I send media through text. So check to make sure you're not getting charged for something you're not aware of.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

hey ronnie ,from what i could find out from apple is that the free texting pictures ,videos etc  is only from anything running ios5.like a ipad text to ipod or sending pics from iphone to ipad and so on.And the most important thing is to turn off carrier data and turn on wifi if ur near open wifi signal.some times i just put my phone in airplane mode just to be safe and then turn wifi back on.hope that helps.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks ace74. It seems like if you send them over 3G, regardless of iMessage or Whatsapp or anything else, Rogers will pick it up and charge you MMS. They are only free over wifi. I've called Rogers (the guy told me he's seen many cases of MMS over whatsapp getting charged) and ask them to disable MMS for my phone completely.

Ronnie

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

sorry to hear that u had to have it diabled thats part of the fun with technology.see i have my 5 or 10 so sending pics/mms to my five or ten peeps any time of the day ,as many times.so whoever i keep getting charged mms for i just add them to my 10.and other peeps outside of my 10 i just text them when im at home using wifi or at starbucks mcdonalds etc.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I am wondering if Roger's changed the way they manage this service, because when it first came out I could recieve picture messages from Roger's subscribers using iMessage (not sure if they had the send as MMS option on or off) but now the picture message comes as a link to Roger's Photo Service website (because my phone is on SpeakOut and does not have MMS capabilities). This sucks because I have never been able to see pictures through the website I am directed to. Anyone else notice this change?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have an iphone4 (ios 5), and sent a picture to another iphone4 (ios5) via i-message (all blue), and while on wifi, and rogers still charged me 50 cents for one mms. and, i have a 25 msg mms package as part of our corporate plan. i have no choice but rogers for work, but i dropped rogers from home and cut the cable off many years ago,

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I don't think Rogers or any other provider would track multimedia messages sent through Whatsapp, and iMessage is definitly free if it's blue meaning yours and the device you're sending to has iMessage.

I use both services on a daily basis and I don't have any MMS as part of my package; never been charged for any. What I do get charged for is if I share contacts for example via text, that counts as MMS, or obviously if I send media through text. So check to make sure you're not getting charged for something you're not aware of.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I used what's app in Zone 4, and purchased a data pass to be sure i would not get charged for messaging. Rogers charged me for the messaging anyway, anytime i was not on wifi.

They are charging What's App as messages, not data.

that discovery cost me $99.00

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

@susanology

Welcome to the Community Forums 🙂

You might find this link helpful clarifying how WhatsApp works. 

It does highlight that "If your phone is roaming, additional mobile data charges may apply." 

This is true, but it would be for data roaming which is different than charges for SMS (text messaging) while roaming.

I would like to help and get a better understanding of the charges.

What are the charges billed under, data or text messages?

What was included in the travel pack that you purchased?

Looking forward to your reply.

RogersMay