cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA - DO NOT update Series 4 Apple Watches to 5.1

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor

My series 4 watch is bricked.

Tons of stories online of this happening. It’s a massive issue. Apple support are working on it. No ETA right now.

If you have a watch stuck at the Apple logo, leave it off the power and let the battery drain and eventually shut off.

Hold off on the update guys!

***Edited Labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: PSA - DO NOT update Series 4 Apple Watches to 5.1

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hey guys!

Please read this below whomever has the watch.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/10/30/watchos-5-1-bricking-apple-watch/

nasa25

My watch is bricked along with many others now. My series 3 updated fine

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @nasa25

Thats why I posted it. Mine is bricked. Apple rep on chat just ended the conversation ( left like other reported). Called in and made a huge stink. Considering this is a $1,200 watch ( the one I have). The level 2 support admitted that thousands are having this issue and has been flooded with calls all day. He felt bad so they are sending me the $200 44MM Stone Leather loop band as a sorry for this and the reps closing the chat. I am keeping mine instead of exchanging it. He said a update should be out to fix this issue soon.

Many are upset and Apple should get this fixed asap.

nasa25

@Meowmix

Wow that’s crazy they ended the chat like that.

I did a chat then a call. Getting a call back tomorrow but he asked me some canned questions that their engineers are looking for feedback on.

Good to hear you got some compensation for their mess up.

My series 3 updated perfectly to 5.1 so I’ll just have to use that for the time being. I think it’s only series 4 affected. Hopefully they resolve this soon.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @nasa25

Yeah seems like a series 4 issue only. It's pathetic that they are giving canned excuses ( script) or close chats. Many have taken screenshots of it and reported it as well. Seems like the Apple reps cant take the heat.

Only after speaking to him for 20 minutes, explaining my issues with Apple and their chargers breaking within minimal use and now this ( including the chats). He understood. I told him that this will cause more issues then anything as many will return the watches and or get exchange units with the update ready to go and when it happens, it will brick it again.

nasa25
Just received word that Apple has pulled the watchOS 5.1 update due to this issue.

nasa25
For those with watches stuck at the Apple logo (ie bricked) to turn it off, press and hold both the crown and side button. When you see the phone reboot and Apple logo reappear, KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN until the logo disappears again. Then release them. That will turn the watch off. No point in letting your screen get a burned in Apple logo or waiting for the battery to die.

nasa25

Update - if you got the watch direct from Apple, call the closest store with stock and see what they can do.

Mapleview swapped out my watch no questions asked even though I'm beyond the 14 day policy (I know there were a few on here that got the watch direct from Apple).  

nasa25

@Meowmix were you able to get sorted out re: your bricked watch?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @nasa25

Sorry for the late response. My dog passed away so I wasn't able to come on..

Yes i was able to resolve it. Apple sent out some kind of patch I guess or software update to the store when I went in and fixed the issue without needing to exchange.

nasa25
Sorry to hear about your dog 😞

It’s good that Apple was able to fix it in store. I know tons of people on macrumors had to get their watch sent in for repair but some lucky ones (like myself) got either an express replacement direct from Apple or was able to get the store to swap out the watch (basically a return and rebuy).
Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 in conversation