Not receiving texts from Android phones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not receiving texts from Android phones

Hello @DCH73,

A warm welcome to our Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your very first post! We hope there will be many more to come! 👍

It is strange that you haven't been able to receive any messages from your friends who are Android users. We appreciate you taking the time to try and troubleshoot the issue yourself and sharing with us what you've done so far. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this! 🧐

By any chance, have you recently switched over from an Android device? If possible, can you ask one of the Android users to try disabling their 'Enhanced Messaging' via their device settings and then try sending you another text message to see if it works? With most Android devices, this can be done in the Messages app > Menu > Settings > Chat Features and disable the 'Enable chat features' option.

Please let us know how it goes! We look forward to your reply! 😊

RogersLaura

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the response, but no, I haven't switched...I've had an iPhone for many years.....and it's not all Android users that I don't receive texts from, only some....it seems completely random.  Have checked every setting imaginable and still cannot figure it out.  The only thing I've changed around the time this started was that I switched my home internet service from Bell back to Rogers.....but I can't imagine that would affect it in any way.  And as I said, my husband who is on my plan can receive texts from those same people, so I can't see that it would be on their end......but Rogers tells me that their texts do not reach the Rogers network.....so why do they for texts to my husband?  

This has been going on for about 3 weeks or so now and I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to figure this out.....

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to give them a try!

Thanks

Hello @DCH73,

Thank you for clarifying! I was wondering if by some small chance it had to do with the RCS Messaging app, but since you've always been an iPhone user, this wouldn't apply to you. 

Since this issue began, were any tickets lodged on your behalf by our Tech Support team? If so, what were the results?

Would you be able to send us a Private Message so we can have a closer look into this for you? For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please CLICK HERE.

Thank you,

RogersLaura

I've Been Here Awhile

I've sent you a private message, thank you!

Appreciated @DCH73!

I have your PM and I will respond to you momentarily. 🙂 

Regards,

RogersCorey

Is it possible to ask just one of the users to reach out to their provider and advise them that they are not able to send text messages to your number?

It has been investigated on our end with no message arriving on our Network so we'd really need to check on the findings from the other provider to see if they can detect anything. They should be able to run a trace on the message to see where it failed.

Regards,

CommunityForums

RogersTony

I'm a Regular

So Android user here (Pixel 2, Android 10, with RCS enabled)

And I've been having countless issues with Group MMS when there is an iPhone number in the mix (this is with and without RCS enabled, I've only started to use RCS in the past few months, but the issue has happened for at least a year and a half)

So what I've seen is that when there is a non Android device in the MMS, it will send the MMS to the android user(s) but iPhone users will get one of two. In the Google Messages settings, I have Group MMS setup to send as a Group MMS not individual threads)
Some simply won't get the message - no delivery receipt, no rejected, nothing.
And other users will get my message, but it shows up as an individual SMS message - so they're getting the message, but its only showing from me, and when they reply, it doesn't go into the MMS thread but the individual SMS thread. But the other Android user, we'll still see our dialogue in the MMS (but their responses to the iPhone user are also only going to them as individual SMS)

So to me it appears to be it maybe something funky with how the iPhone receives the MMS protocol?
But ya SMS messages seem to go through just fine - though that doesn't help me as I am trying to send groupMMS messages.

Hello, @b-ry.

Thank you for joining this discussion, I appreciate your detailed post. 

When a group SMS/MMS sent through RCS enabled device one of the two followings could happen:

a) the recipient device is RCS enabled, the reply from this device goes to the group

b) the recipient device doesn't support RCS, the reply from this device goes to the sender

We have discussed a similar issue in a different thread. I have noticed a group SMS/MMS may not work as intended when there is a mix of different devices on different platforms. I have experimented with RCS & group SMS/MMS in different scenarios and found it's not reliable. 

You may want to consider a 3rd party text/pictures/video messaging app to run a group. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin