LTE affects cell phone strength in iPhone 5.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

LTE affects cell phone strength in iPhone 5.

Hi,

Just purchased the iPhone 5.  I have noticed that when LTE is enabled the signal strength for phone drops to about 1-2 bars.  When you switch to 3g the cellphone coverage rises to 4-5 bars.  My guess is this due to the connections to LTE towers are not up to speed for cell phone coverage yet.  Has any one else  experienced this issue with their iPhone 5.  Would like to know if most people are having the same bevahior.  I am considering going to Apple Store to have them investigate.  However if this current problem with the LTE network then there is not much Apple Store can do.. 

And if there is any knowledgble Rogers folks out there do you have any updates on when the LTE towers cell phone connectivity will be corrected?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: LTE affects cell phone strength in iPhone 5.

Hello thecyberhotogs

You are getting low bars on LTE because of where the towers are. Less LTE on a tower will cause this. I get 2-4 bars on LTE right beside the tower. I have no problem with it because you still get the same speeds anyways. So I wouldn't be worried about it.

I have owned every single LTE phone Rogers has released and this is a LTE issue, not the phone so it would be a waste of time going to Apple.

It all depends when Rogers will add more towers with LTE. Until them, you wil be okay with 1-3 bars on LTE. Also LTE does not work with voice. LTE is ONLY for data.
I've Been Around

I have the same issue, one bar on the new Iphone 5, even when I go outside my house.  I also, sometimes get No Network status on the phone and sometimes unable to call out.  I was told by tech. Support to have me switch the Network to 3G and it should solve the problem.  It seems to me Rogers have no fully implement LTE into the whole network yet or they might be some issues that need to be addressed.  Also, I have one bar status even on my old phone Nokia E31 which does not use LTE.  The area I am at does not have any highrises or commerical buildings around, and I do not have my wireless router turn on all the time.  Guess there is an issue with the cell tower and I am in the weak or border line area.

love to have Rogers to investigate and get back to me.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello wilsonlam

You will need to have Tech support investigate it & get back to you that way. They are the only ones that can do that. It could be that the area does not have a lot of signal for LTE. I know many places that barely get LTE yet they are not far from a LTE tower. Rogers adds LTE on the towers to light it up & call it " First" Yet it barely works.
I'm an Advisor

I live in a basement suite, although it's about half way above ground, and get a very poor signal over 3G on my iPhone 4S. I experimented with a blue tooth headset with the phone sitting on a window sill and that helped a bit. The best solution for me, though, was when Rogers brought out One Number several months ago. When I'm home, I use my computer for phone calls instead of the cell phone, and it works perfectly. It's just like Skype and will also do video calls.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jimboden

This isn't about 3G and such. This is about LTE.. The problem is that people want to use their phones instead of a computer. Being in a basement with windows and such, the phone should be able to get signal and LTE. Rogers has NOT improved on fixing this stuff and its suffering their customers.

Rogers One Number is good BUT has many faults and issues. Take a look at the thread in the Rogers One posts. You will see many complain about it and the issues it has.
I'm an Advisor

Yes, i'm following the Rogers One Number forum and have reported a couple of my own problems. It works pretty well for me when I use it, though, which is all I care about. I know this is an LTE thread, not 3G, but posted about RON in case it might help someone else.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jimboden

That is nice for you to do it. The problem tho is not the OP & other users are talking about LTE & the affect they have. RON is not what everyone wants right? RON is useful but what is the point of having a LTE phone if you can not use LTE in places where its supposed to work? See my point?

Anyways back on topic here.

Rogers needs to add more towers for LTE & actually make LTE work the way it should with more bars & such.
I've Been Around

Wow. Can't believe the difference in signal strength. I was wonder . was wrong with my new iPhone 5s and why my messages...calls ect. We're only working half the time. The signal was total garbage with LTE. My cell is for calls and messages, not surfing the net, I have a computer for that. Thanx for the info! Brilliant!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah. Just because there is a tower, doesn't mean that it has lte.
And even if it does, in general, lte doesn't go as far as 3G does (higher frequency often so it doesn't travel as far.

Hopefully as they roll out the new 700mhz spectrum in more areas, we will see improvements, as the 700 will go much farther.