LTE Apple watch support and plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

You might wait just a little bit more, I heard there is a problem with the Apple Watch series 3 with LTE, it doesn't connect well on LTE it keeps on connecting onto unwanted wifi network...It might need a software update to rectify this issue. It might Take a little time. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @danheb

That and the fact that battery dies within an hour or 2 using cellular. So really I wouldn't spend the money at this moment to get it until the bugs and battery issue has been fixed.

If i am spending that much money on a watch that is suppose to untethere your device and u can use the watch as the device, i rather have much more battery life and none LTE issues.

This is the CNET review on it.

" If you're pushing the unique features of the Series 3 with cellular, you're going to wipe out your battery quickly. I made a half-hour call to my mom as I walked into town a half mile away to get an iced coffee. A walk there, a walk back, checking email and listening to music (and using GPS with heart rate for the walks), I ended up at 50 percent battery by 3 p.m. Sure, I was using everything. But isn't that the point?"
I Plan to Stick Around

It's well documented on Apple website that the Apple Watch series 3 will give you about 1 hour of talk time on LTE network, I can live with that as an emergency not to talk with all my friend but if it keeps on trying or connecting with unwanted wifi networks and when I need to use it the battery is drained out that is a whole lotta different story.

I will be really mad 🤔🤓

https://www.apple.com/ca/watch/battery.html

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @danheb

Thats the point though. They brought this out for you to enjoy it and talk on the phone or receive mesaage if you don't have your iPhone with you. If the battery will drain that quick when talking on the phone or with the WiFi / LTE issues then what's the point if rushing to get it right now? I rather wait until it's stable enough for me to warrant and justify my self being one. Although I wouldn't right now anyways lol
I'm Here A Lot

Wonder the reasoning for Rogers not to offer this, I would assume that those who would want an LTE Apple Watch would be customers that use a lot of features and therefore data. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Naftalim

They said the reason. They are holding back until Next Year to launch it. Read Below

" »We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards"

Telus has said they will carry it but also said the same as Rogers as they need to enable this technology and function to do both on one number. Telus however is letting customers know on their site that they will carry it.
I've Been Around

I hope Rogers does because I would switch carrier because of the watch. The only reason I haven’t get the Apple Watch yet was because there is no cellular feature. But now with this feature, the new Apple Watch 3 is definitely on my Xmas wish list this year!!! I can wait till them and get my new IPhoneX, so plz Rogers!!! I have been with Rogers since.... for Forever! Don’t wanna leave you just because of this.
I Plan to Stick Around

The only big difference is that Telus is alreayd working on this (before year end) while Rogers will think about it when time comes to upgrade their portfolio of devices not before next year...or the launch of the Apple Watch series 6😉
I've Been Around

When is Rogers going to support Apple Watch 3 ?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @davekpatrick

" We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards"