LTE Apple watch support and plan

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

Rogers has made a corporate decision not to support the Apple Watch 3 'at this time'.  This is too bad for me and other health and sports aficionados like me that have been waiting for the Apple Watch to become a stand-alone cellular device.  Of all the Apple announcements made yesterday it was Apple Watch 3 that got my attention and it's the one device where I'm going to upgrade.  Rogers decision must have anticipated a loss of customer base, and I for one will be checking out what Bell and Telus have to offer.  Sorry Rogers 'at this time' is not good enough.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for fixing your contradictions, I couldn't make sense of what you were getting at. Smiley Tongue 

I think people want the latest technology now. That's where people are trying to figure out why Rogers would wait. I agree with you. I wouldn't change carriers for a watch, but as the focus for cellular data delivery changes, people will change to, which means switching providers.  If Rogers doesn't offer service for the watch in time, you're going to have people who are frustrated that they waited.  

If someone is waiving candy in their left hand that you can see and they have a closed right hand where there MAY be candy, people are going to take the candy they know exists. That's simple logic. And so for some, switching to a provider that offers the watch will make complete sense. For that, it's tough for anyone to argue otherwise. If you're not locked into a plan, make the switch! You'll get new customer incentives from Bell and Telus, there's no doubt about that. As for services, they are all going to be very comparable. The real service that matters is customer service. From MY perspective, Rogers has excelled in this over the others. 

Truly, I just hope Rogers sees the demand to get on-board with this technology. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Staveros

Typing while on a bus isn't fun lol.

Yeah i agree with that but in the end I guess for them it was that decision they took.

Hopefully they change their views and add it to their portfolio.

Maybe they are also doing this to see the demand for it before adding it.
I've Been Around

Annoyed that I'm locked into a plan for another year. I want to get the Apple Watch with the LTE attached.

Annoyed all around. I am going to look into getting one with Bell and price it out. A friend of mind looked and she could add the watch for $5 a month on her plan.

I would LOVE to see Rogers add it. They need to get with the times.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Carly6

That is true however you must have the same carrier in order to have the watch and phone working together as per Apple.

So all on all you would need to move ur line over and then get it.

I hope so too.

I've Been Around

I came here to also see if Rogers would get the Apple watch and I see that a lot of people are upset that they aren't (yet).  People want to jump ship, that's fine.. but am I the only one who remembers  a time when Rogers was the *only* carrier in all of Canada that offered the iPhone 3G ??   Point being.. 1.  Back then I think there was an exclusivity deal with Apple and Rogers, but that ended eventually.  2.  The other carriers didn't implode for not having an Apple product. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm one of those that wants an LTE Apple Watch.  One problem Rogers may be considering is that there isn't much money to be made.  Rogers probably won't sell the watch.  And they likely can't add a lot to the subscription price to support the watch, so they may be taking a wait and see approach to gauge consumer demand.  If enough customers want it, and if Rogers can make enough money to cover costs, or if it prevents people from jumping carriers, they'll put it on.  That is all just speculation on my behalf.  From my perspective, it would be way cooler and fun if Rogers just supported it right away.  

Best,

Steve 

I'm Here A Lot

@K33N3R "am I the only one who remembers  a time when Rogers was the *only* carrier in all of Canada that offered the iPhone 3G ??   Point being.. 1.  Back then I think there was an exclusivity deal with Apple and Rogers, but that ended eventually"

You might remember that, but you forgot the only reason Rogers was the only carrier that offered the iPhone is because Rogers was the only one with a GSM network. It was about hardware compatibility, not exclusivity deals.

I don't think there are any exclusivity deals today either. I think Rogers underestimated demand. But they'll catch up and get it eventually.

And to those that say "why would you switch over a watch"? Well, a watch with LTE, means if my phone runs out of batteries, gets stolen, I forget it at home, I can still make and receive calls, messages, track my bike rides, pay for things at the store, etc. It's becoming as important as the phone itself.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gustav

I agree but again I disagree. To each their own I guess. It's not the same for everyone and everyone sees it differently.

In the end it was Rogers ultimate decision to do it. They most likely want to see the demand for it before adding it.
I've Been Around

Add my name to the list of those who will be switching to Bell to support the new Apple Watch.