cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Apple watch support and plan

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around

Any idea on when the new Lte Apple watch will be supported on the Rogers network? If it is supported what would be the price plan? 

***Added Labels***

369 REPLIES 369

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @haggis312

Unfortunately Rogers has said sometime in 2018 but hasn't given a proper date.

As for the price? Either what Telus has or Bell. The pricing will only come out once they announce the watch when they carry it

bdobson
I plan to stick around

Apple certainly wouldn't like it but this made me skip buying one at all. If this takes to much longer it's possibly worth waiting for series 4 anyway.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bdobson

I was going to wait as well but leaks have been shown that its the same as the Series 3 but with new bands and just a few other things added extra as apps. Nothing else so far.

bdobson
I plan to stick around

It is much too early for any leak to be real and not completely made up. A new watch wouldn't even likely be announced until WWDC (June/July 2018) or later. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bdobson

While that is true, however most leaks that are leaked out (98%) of them have always been real...

We shall see. However carriers won't go for a Series 4 LTE if they invested in the Series 3 LTE Watch. So you would just be buying it outright instead of on a contract like Telus and such. ( Telus finance).

bdobson
I plan to stick around

I've always bought devices outright so that's not a concern.

The cellular technology that Apple would use in the current series 3 watches would be the same in the series 4. It's just a software based sim (an e-sim) so once it's supported, it should always be. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bdobson

Yeah that's true. What I am talking about is them selling the watch, not supporting it... They will support it of course but I don't think carriers will sell the series 4 unless they see a huge demand of them being bought from the carriers.

The only carrier I see getting it right is Telus with the financing they have. I am doing that with them and its the same price just diveded in 24 months.

Either way to each their own. We shall see what that brings out next fall.

Is there any update on when and if Rogers will support Apple Watch with LTE ?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Mboy07125

Unfortunately as I said above, there isn't any new updates.

It’s a right pain in the rump that Rogers is so far behind on this.

So I just upgraded my Apple watch to be able to receive calls/texts without my phone around and now I am looking for a new plan with a new provider.  It's very unfortunate, as I am happy with the service I am getting with Rogers.  

spit
I'm here a lot

I don't understand why you think it's "beyond" you to figure out why people want to switch because of the Apple Watch issue.  Have you ever tried jogging with an iPhone 7 Plus as opposed to a Watch with AirPods?  We would also like to be able to receive urgent calls during our workouts from our family at the same time.  Balancing both requires us to have a Watch.  The ability to pick up arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation during workouts is a nice feature to have as well.  

The Watch is very important to some of us and you can add me to your list of switchers if Rogers does not offer this within a month or two at most.  My self and my wife will be jumping over to Telus or Bell.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @spit

I rewrote my post on another page regarding this. After picking up the watch and been using it at work ( -Produce manager) I can tell you it's worth it. The only reason I wrote that at the time was because I didn't have it and didn't see a need for switching carriers to do so. Since I am with Telus I got it and tried it out and like it. The only issue I find is the screen gets scratched very easily. Thankfully Apple changed that and gave me an extra Black Sports band and extra charger for the issue.

Rogers will indeed bring it before the summer. That I know since a manager I communicate showed me a email regarding the E-sim post. So we shall see what date will be given.

Garygouril
I plan to stick around

Got tired of Rogers refusal to even discuss the LTE watch, so investigated switching. Found out that had I been a Telus customer the past year I would have save $10 per month with BYOD. Was Able to get a new iPhone 8 for $0 for 64GB, or $200 for 256GB, with same plan as I had on Rogers, better coverage in my area, for 5$ less per month than I was paying for my 3 year old phone. So now I am saving money and ready for a new watch. I guess I should thank Rogers for pretending the Apple Watch doesn't exist, because I was prompted to learn there are better alternatives.

I find out right embarrassing to Rogers for not supporting Apple Watch LTE right away,as a Rogers costumer for 14 years I am actually considering going to Bell.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Dforrest13

Truly is since they see how many want this feature and at the end it's causing them to lose customers.

spit
I'm here a lot

Even if Rogers was not sure about potential popularity of the Watch, they should have at least placed a poll in their regular email letters to their users if they would be interested in adding the Watch or not.  The fact that they did not even bother taking preorders or even a poll is rather annoying to say the least.  Who are they to decide which devices the customer will be limited to?  We will be voting with our wallets.  Been with Rogers since '93 but will the wife and I will dump them within two months if it is not announced.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @spit

Agreed. They should have sent out a email or a poll online seeing how many would want it. They know many want it. However they keep saying it's due to the technology that the E-sim has. Which is weird because Bell and Telus are able to get it right.

Been using my Apple Watch series 3 from Telus and loving it. The battery is at 60% still since I took it off the chager at 5am yesterday morning ( Plus turning it off from 10pm till 5am) this morning. Received calls, messages and notifications. Turned off the screen being turned on when moving my hand / wrist which helps the battery too!

spit
I'm here a lot

Hi @Meowmix,  I was always impressed with the Watch's battery life too.  Hope you are right with the possibility of Rogers getting the LTE Watch before summer.  However, my personal timeline for them is shorter than that before switching.  Need the Watch especially for jogging with Apple Music and no phone strapped to your arm.  Being able to walk around the workplace sans the phone would be nice as well.  Apple Pay, reading & dictating notes, mail, messages, etc. on the run all without the phone are all great to have at the workplace as well where we can just leave the phone in the desk drawer all day.

Re: LTE Apple wattch support and plan

danspicer
I've been around
Ive been with Rogers for 25 years, but if they will not support the Apple Watch then I will switch to bell

sblackburnsg
I've been around

Come on Rogers!  We need Apple Watch 3 LTE support!  I will switch to Telus if it doesn't change.