cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Apple watch support and plan

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around

Any idea on when the new Lte Apple watch will be supported on the Rogers network? If it is supported what would be the price plan? 

***Added Labels***

369 REPLIES 369

Re: LTE Apple watch support and plan

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

Well, it used to be that the devices were carrier branded (I doubt the watches that Apple's shipping have any branding to them).  Still, each batch would have a range of addresses that the carrier would use for provisioning.

Yes, you can have platform specific services which would complicate using different platforms with a single SIM (often the carriers have different APN's for these devices to segment the traffic).

Heh...this still doesn't give any cause for Rogers not being able to provision these. 🙂  I think they really should be providing some specifics and some timelines.

danheb
I plan to stick around

I completely agree with you on this!! Out of respect for its customers they should let us know.

The AW s3 eSim cards are assigned for each country and won't work when you're out of the country contrary to the iPhone you can buy anywhere and use them where ever the Apple Watch won't.

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

Actually, I'm not convinced that the eSIM's have either the MCC or MNC already coded.

It could very well be that Apple's stating that just so they preserve their local "Apple Tax".   (i.e. we're only getting a 75 cent dollar if you check Apple's exchanges on the new products).  Kinda lousy considering our dollar was 82 cents when they were released.

I'm hoping people have done some cross-border shopping and verified this long before Rogers finally gets their network in shape to provision these.

Bill___
I plan to stick around

I am not changing my watch just now.  I have a first gen apple watch.  However, whenever it stops working or is too slow to support software, I will get a new one.  If it is an Apple watch I buy, I will want to get the one with LTE, and I will want it to work on the mobile network...and for not more money than other carriers charge. So I hope this is on Rogers' road map to get done at some point.  Apple might be the first to have an accessory with direct LTE connectivity but probably won't be the last.  There should be a common standard for this actually, and it should be universally supported.

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
What are your guys 2 cents on this?
I ordered a series 3 Apple Watch with cellular arriving this Friday.
I’m on Rogers.
I saw the announcement as an exclusivity to Bell and Telus til end of 2017, and then in early 2018, Rogers will support the watch.
Hence why I went ahead with my order.

Are the odds against me that Rogers may not support the watch for at least a year? 0.o

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around

Same here I already have the watch, I can’t wait for Rogers to support this service. And obviously I'm not gonna switch carrier just for that, but I hope they are actively working on that, so they can flip the switch on a.s.a.p

canwan
I've been here awhile

I like Rogers but unfortunately I'll be porting out 5 numbers so I can get 4 apple watches for our family.  

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @canwan

Goodluck with that. Remember to always do reviews on plans / pricing and also reviews from customers before making the jump. 80% of the time customers jump due to a phone / price plan and they realize later on it was a mistake. Just want to point that out.

Always do research.

canwan
I've been here awhile

I don't even care if they offer or subsidise the watch.  Anyone that would spend the money on an Apple Watch 3 with cellular can likely afford to buy the watch outright.  Just offer us a package that integrates the calling features and BYOD!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @canwan

Rogers will be offering this service as of next year. They said this before. Once they enable to switches and services to make this happen. If you wish to move carriers, so be it but again do reviews on their plans, pricing and customer reviews.

SeamusDDog
I've been here awhile

That's not true. All they have said is that (1) they will be reviewing their device portfolio and (2) there has been no timeline for introducing the apple watch. Pricing is the reason I would stay, of course, since I've negotiated myself a nice little plan. All I want is an announcement and timeline - then I'd buy the LTE Apple watch. As it stands, I've ordered myself a AW3 without cellular, because I don't really want to be sitting on a feature for a year, not using it before they update the watch. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @SeamusDDog

" We will look at launching the cellular Apple watch next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standards."

This is a official Rogers representative. This comment is now being sent out to Everyone.

So yes they have given a time line "next year" not specific as many want but they are giving one out. Pricing won't be given until they announce the actual date of release of the service. Most likely the same as Rogers.

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

Umm "look at launching" is not a commitment to launch.  It's ambiguous enough in tone to be supported by their device review process.  

Rogers need to actually commit to adding it to their device portfolio and a timeline.  

Otherwise, their customer base would be smart to wait for the Apple Watch Series 4...(or switch carriers).  Really depends on how soon they want to experience this technology (and if the competing carriers will match the plans they have with Rogers today).

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Open_Mobile

While that is true, it's still something rather then nothing.

I do agree they really need to give us a date though. I has given a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier LTE for free from Samsung last year and had to sell it because it wasn't supported on the networks and was kinda useless.

SeamusDDog
I've been here awhile

This is the latest I've seen from Rogers: where did you pull your comment from?

Even the last response from @RogersHelps is even less committed, and is the same as it was in the past: "it will be something we look at next year as we build system functionality to support this technology based on open standard." No "looking to launch the Apple Watch." Words do matter. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @SeamusDDog

Got it as a reply by the rep on Facebook and another user here got the same response. That's how I got it.

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around
I will go to bell stores today to see what plan they have, i might grab a line just to test the watch and no im not porting my Rogers number to bell i will get a separate line. I will be forwarding all calls and text to the new number, and will have to turn off i message. Ill let you guys know if i get the line

Jay_Starks
I plan to stick around
Looks like Telus will indeed soon be on board to support the apple watch LTE , on December 1st, they will start selling the lte watch and people who already got their can activate it on the network! Come on Rogers just give us a date on when this service will become available

phopp
I've been here awhile

I called ROGERS about 1 month ago and inquired about the apple LTE watch

they (Mat ) told me it would cost $10/mnth which i thought was reasonable 

I was shocked when I ROGERS tonight and was informed they don't have plans to support this watch , a check of their records confirmed they had spoken to me and noted my conversation 

they offered their apologies but no possible compensation 

very disappointed in them 

Open_Mobile
I plan to stick around

Did the rep at Telus happen to mention how much they'd be charging?

Honestly, with Bell doing it at $5 a month, I'd be surprised if all of the other carriers didn't match it.  (even though the US carriers are charging $10).

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Open_Mobile

Telus via Facebook told me $10 per month but said they should be matching it with Bells offer.