cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone xs/xr/max esim support

Dean604
I plan to stick around

Hi

Looks like Rogers will have esim support for the series 4 watch - but I have not seen anything regarding esim support for the new phones -- Bell was highlighted but not a peep from Rogers.

Will Rogers support esims for the new iphones and if so, what is the ETA?

75 REPLIES 75

Re: Iphone xs/xr/max esim support

gmmitche
I've been here awhile

Just chatted with Rogers.  They tried to tell me that https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209096 related to Apple watch, when it clearly doesn't.   Then they say that "they are talking to Apple to have the page corrected."

Anyway, either Rogers don't support eSIM for iPhone, or they haven't provided in the information to anyone on how to do it.

Qubit
I plan to stick around

So... In view of this, what is the conclusion to extract? will Rogers soon (or ever) consider supporting eSIM for the iPhone? Is apple making a mistake? (Somehow I doubt it! the information is still there!) has Rogers been misinforming their employees about it?

This is pretty confusing, to be honest

gmmitche
I've been here awhile
That Rogers don’t believe in keeping their customers informed.....

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Qubit

Apple has actually made mistakes like this before with their own products and launches ( leaks and such from their own website). Also a UK carrier was added on the list but does not support it just yet.

It could be that Apple is posting it correctly HOWEVER it only shows Bell that currently supports it just like in the start. Many failed to read that on the link above.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gmmitche

This is a mistake on their part. They should inform the customers more on what's happening but only say that it's not yet coming or don't know.

Hello Community!

Just to clear up any confusion, we currently do not support the eSIM. 

At this time, you can only use a physical SIM card for your Rogers or Fido line and the eSIM can be used for another plan with another carrier. 

I wish I had more information to share with regards to potential future eSIM support but this is all the info I have to share at the moment.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @RogersCorey

Rogers does support ESIM only for the Apple watches ( which use ESIM).

However Rogers does not support ESIM for the iPhone Xs / Xs Max and XR.

Your post makes it sound like Rogers doesn't support the actual ESIM infrastructure but it does with the Apple Watch.

Hi @Meowmix!

I was giving an answer pertinent to the thread topic.

Thanks for the assist! The Community should be perfectly clear on eSIM support now. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

claven2
I plan to stick around

Not to beat a dead horse, but all e-sim tech is the same.  It's a GSMA standard.

See here:

https://www.gsma.com/esim/

Interestingly, e-sim lists Rogers as a compatible network offering e-sim service.  Rogers recently started letting apple watch series 4 customers connect using e-sim, but near as I can tell, no other e-sim devices are being allowed onto their network.

What is not clear is WHY.  An e-sim is just an onboard SIM card (basically) and because it's a universal standard, if you can enable it on one device, you can enable it on all devices.

In other words - this is a Rogers BUSINESS decision - not a technical impediment.

Some transparency would be nice as many of us contemplate leaving Rogers over this issue.

claven2
I plan to stick around

something else that is funny/odd: 

The e-sim website lists rogers as being an e-sim provider (which stretches the imagination given it's only for ONE product, while @bell is NOT listed, but does offer universal e-sim support.  Go figure.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @claven2

As i said. You have a choice as a customer. You can go ahead to another company but the decision is urs. Ultimately Rogers won't say anything until they enable it. That's all. So don't hold ur breath asking any questions.

Qubit
I plan to stick around

Here’s the reading I have settled with after reading everyone here.

”Yeah Rogers will eventually adopt eSIM and probably soon in 2019, but we won’t know anything from Rogers until is out there so there’s no point asking for estimates as to when to expect it at this point.”

Is this a crazy reading of the situation? Or does it seem like a sensible one?

nasa25
I'm a trusted contributor

@Qubit

nope you pretty much hit the nail on the head.  

We didn't hear a peep about Rogers Apple Watch support until some Apple VP was presenting a carrier slide that contained the rogers logo lol.     

hatemkamal
I plan to stick around

I actually just called Rogers Support, and they confirmed they dont support eSIM on iPhone XR/XS, despite the fact Apple website is saying that Rogers does support eSIM on iPhone https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT209096. Rogers is currently supporting eSIM on Apple Watch only. Bell is supporting eSIM on Phones and Watches

I urge Rogers to at least announce the expected time of supporting eSIM on iPhone. This will make them look professional in front of their customers. I am really upset about their customer service!

hatemkamal
I plan to stick around

I urge Rogers to at least announce the expected time of supporting eSIM on iPhone. This will make them look professional in front of their customers. I am really upset about their customer service!

It certainly is frustrating.  I agree Rogers needs to let us know so we can plan.  I do not understand the reluctance to offer basic customer service.  

hatemkamal
I plan to stick around

Any update on eSIM on iPhone?

No but the worst thing is apple removed rogers in esim support section in their website.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Hareen5

Thats because as i said on page 3 is that Apple prematurely updated the site without the correct information.

Seems like Rogers doesn't want to support it right now. Which includes Telus as well.

hatemkamal
I plan to stick around

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @hatemkamal

On Safari I don't see it but on my laptop ( Firefox) I see it. That's weird...
Topic Stats