Iphone Data Usage Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Iphone Data Usage Issue

well ive got the same thing, kinda. Got the text, thought it was weird as ive never gone over my limit (1gb) usually i end up around 700 MB

i checked the my rogers app, shows im at 530(500 and something idk the exact) so i checked online in the myrogers, same thing.

im a new rogers customer, if they keep this up im going to switch to MTS. not happy at all.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

also ill add in that i do have a 3rd party Data management app that tracks all my data, wifi, 3G, edge, upload/download, and its on par with what the myRogers says.

if that helps. Ive had to turn off my data as i dont wanna be charged extra

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same Issues!

Billing cycle started from me on July 3rd and as of now I have apparently used 80% of my 1GB. It makes no sense! I am on WIFI at work and at home with strong connections. I am going away next week and know I will need my data. I don't want to go over and don't want to pay. This is royally messed up.

Called Rogers and they said it could be apps running, but when I checked, all the apps that were 'open' were my camera and setttings and e-mail and other apps that don't even use data. I don't get that much e-mail for it to be using nearly 1 GB of data in 13 days. WTF is going on?

I have seen so many threads of people with the EXACT same issue.

They said I could wait till my bill comes out, but i don't want to risk going over my limit, and not getting extra charges taken off.

If anyone from Rogers reads this... please figure out a **bleep** way to help us BEFORE our billing cycle ends. This is ridiculous and I'm really regretting my decision to stay with Rogers. What the **bleep** was I thinking?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I had the same issues with what everyone is having. The last 2 years I was using the Iphone 3G and later upgraded to the Iphone4. With the 3G it seemed as though I was constantly going over my 1G of data, I talked with customer Relations - Service and finally routed to Tech support. ALL told me it was becuase the 3G phone had apps running. Well, I gave every Rep a piece of my mind and said it was not apps running. Even the Tech Reps couldn't understand. Both Techs seperately admitted that I schooled them with the knowledge I have with the Iphone...I Didn't get no where. I did an experiment with my old Iphone 3G. Left it OFF completely for 2 days. It acrued data.
Customer relations allowed me an upgrade and opted for a new phone.
Solution I made was the Iphone4...I hope its not the same Madness!
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I hear ya Kelli. Im regretting going with Rogers over MTS. i guarantee once my contract is up ill be switching. Canadian cell providers are the worst.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re : Iphone Data Usage Issue

Hi RogersJean,

The very same thing happened to me this morning as well.  Got a wake up message telling me I was over my 500mb data plan by 39.6mb, yet it is ONLY now that I should be on my 2nd day after my billing reset of the 18th.  I looked at the Rogers app and it also says I have sent over 1100 text messages.

Reading all the forums out there it looks like it's been happening to people and yet no one is posting any answers. 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.   I have heard all these nightmare stores that hit the media about $$$ charges and it scares me that it could happen to me through a glitch.  Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

JUUUST got through to Rogers, spoke with Katherine/Catherine and advised me the Rogers web network was delayed in updating their site and are just behind by a day or two.  She was pretty confident that it was likely be because of this, but cannot 100% guarantee that it was the reason.

She documented my account to state that I called and that was that.  So for the peeps out there stressing, it could be that the billing cycle didn't reset due to a network update.  Check and see if your messaging is off as well (ie. you've sent 1000 txt msgs in a day) cuz THAT would likely be a sign. Doesn't mean don't follow up, give Rogers a call to document your inquiry and concern.

Also don't instantly go nuts on the Rep, they're probably getting stressed out from all the calls they're receiving.  You could absolutely make or break someones day with even a bad undertone.  You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar (although I don't know why anyone would want to attract flies).  If it's a system issue then they'll probably fix it. 

Patience young grasshopper.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Had the same problem this week.  Got a text message on Tuesday @ 9:30am telling me that I'd reached 100% of my data plan allowance.  On Thursday @ 9:30am, another text messge telling me that I $50 in data usage over the 500 mb plan.  Now get this....  TWO hours later, another text msg. telling me that I had now reached $100 over the plan! 

I went through the phone crap that everyone else has experienced, and was told to wait until the next bill comes out before they can take another look at my 'issue'.  In the meantime, I've turned OFF "Cellular Data" and the iPhone is basically useless except for phoning

I've been with Rogers for over 3 years and have NEVER even come CLOSE to maxing out my data plan.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that's had this experience, even though they try to make me feel that way.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The last time I received a text that rogers sent me told me that I reached 80% of my data plan allowance, which is 1GB, then I tried to use it less, then that month I pay no more than a dollar for exceeding limit of data. I knew that I over the limit again this month because I received a massage on the morning of Oct 28th said I reached 100% of my data plan allowance, then I turn cellular data and 3g off, And right before I reply you, I checked how much data I exceeded, it is freaking 257MB. I am pretty mad right now because about one week before I received the text from Rogers this month, I checked my data usage; I only used 300MB something, and 2/3 of the month passed. So I did not concern at all, then it reached 100% so fast!!! And last time I got a warning for reaching 80% first, and I was waiting about that mail, boom, I already exceeded, what the **bleep**?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Same issue...

I have a 500 mb plan, and now it says I'm over it 48mb..

I've called customer support and technical support.

The technical support guy said that just before my call he had discussed this same issue with another customer, and had advised both of us that the text we got (mine saying I reached 80% etc) was 'junk mail' and if I do get charged over to call back to get refunded...

It's frustrating that no one can tell me what the cause of this is..

I've been referred to Rogers stores, Support centre online (which I cant get through because they're something wrong with their connection) where I would be able to chat 'live' with a person, and Blackberry support.

It's $0.03 per MB overage, but this overage seems like a glitch to me as I never use that much data...

Someone help..

View solution in original post