Iphone Data Usage Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Iphone Data Usage Issue

The simple solution to this problem which I would expect most consumers would want is for data to shut off when you have reached your limit. Instead we are required to track our usage (by logging on to a website!) and then lock down our phone once we get close.  I have discussed this same issue with Rogers and they refuse to structure their product this way.  Instead they would rather try and trap you into overusing your data.  I tried their way for a few months but in the end I gave up as we have multiple users on a plan and they can blow through our data in a day.  So I have simply blocked the data permanently on all but one of the phones and from now on I would not buy data with any plan. As this user has indicated most of the time there is access to wifi anyway.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

2x this billing cycle received data top up text. My data doesn't seem to be resetting causing me to go overage. Getting super frustrated it's happened 6x in last 6 months mainly use wifi and turn off data when out.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kevsted wrote:
2x this billing cycle received data top up text. My data doesn't seem to be resetting causing me to go overage. Getting super frustrated it's happened 6x in last 6 months mainly use wifi and turn off data when out.

@Kevsted Turn off WiFi assist in the bottom of the settings -> cellular menu, sometimes even if you are using WiFi the phone will use the mobile data if the WiFi is weak. 

Also turn off background app refresh on certain apps, and set apps to only update over WiFi. Background app refresh allows apps to use data in the background when you aren't even using them. I turn it off for all apps, except WhatsApp because WhatsApp needs to use data in the background to receive messages.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Dudes and dudettes,

If using a PC, make sure you turn off Hotspot before connecting the iPhone to your PC. Otherwise, the PC might load balance your regular internet connection and the iPhone data connection. If this happens, half of your PC Internet traffic will end up using the phone. If you are doing something traffic intensive on the PC, you can kill a month's worth of iPhone data plan in almost no time.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

intereting.i just bought my new phone which is a 10gb plan and checked my bill and it sys i only used 3gb
i too got the text msg saying
"Rogers Data Alert: Reply GO to restore data access. Your account has reached $50 of data overage charges for your current billing cycle. Data access has been paused for all lines in overage. Applicable rates will apply when access is RESTORED until your data allowance resets on 01/02/2018. "

which i find bizarre. i bought my phone a week ago. tech support has no idea why i got the nessage.
i too have been using my wifi alot and have even put a cap on my data usuage in settings. not sure where i am overusing it.
i thought my bill date woud change once i got a new phone. guess not. so much for loyalty.
Highlighted

Hello @grundlem,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

It's always a good idea to monitor data usage on the MyRogers app, saves the worry about overages and surprise bills. May I know if this is for a new activation or a hardware upgrade? Upgrades do not have an impact on billing cycle, but new activations do!

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have a 6 gig plan which I just moved up to from 5 gigs when I did a phone upgrade. I sometimes came close to my 5 gig limit but all of a sudden in 5 days I have used up almost 4 gigs of data. I don’t know how this is possible when I have only used up almost 5 gigs in entire months over the last few years.