Iphone Data Usage Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Iphone Data Usage Issue

Hi @dmmorrow thanks for your inquiry.

As a parent I can understand the need to have control over data use on shared plans. I know it all too well Smiley Frustrated .

What @Lurker & @Meowmix stated is definitely an option. Another option is to have an agent put a Data block on the specified line. This would remain on the line until you would like it removed. So if you happen to only want it for a specific duration of time. You would have to either ask the agent to expire it on the specified date or call back in to remove it on the date needed.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the answers. Yes I have already asked my daughter to turn off her data and she does at times but not enough to not go over the 3 GB. She has also turned off various things that use data.

If I phone ROgers and ask a clerk to turn off the data for a period of time and turn it back on, do they charge for this? Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think so..

You wouldnt want to be calling in for ON / Off like many times a week though... it would be "ok your at your limit, your cut off till the end of the billing cycle"

Really though? 
(this comming from a parrent.. of a child who doesnt have a cellphone, but I WORK in the technology field, and will be very hard on my child when they do get one).
They need to be made aware of WHAT uses data and what doesnt.. and what uses how much.

They need to know what they can / should use while out and about.. and what not to (or what to use less).

I can spend a weekend away at the cottage.. use my phone for a fair bit of browsing facebook, some image/text message boards, etc.. and i maybe use 200+mb.
VIDEO.. is the big killer.  Watching Netflix... youtube, etc... especially that so much content is in HD.. it can use up to 1gb / hour even sometimes.
Try and stress to them, not to watch video unless necessary, etc.

If you have wifi at home.. make sure that the phone is on that while she is at home... that it uses your INTERNET data instead of cellular.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @dmmorrow you are welcome Smiley Happy .

Also to answer your question, there is no cost to apply a data block to a line.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I'm having the same inexplicable data usage, and after talking to my Rogers rep it is still unexplained.  After having the same level of data for years (1 GB shared with my wife and I), suddenly I got a message saying 75% of my data was used up in three days.  They are claiming that my wife's phone suddenly used up 600MB of data in three days, all of which was after midnight (when she was asleep), and when her phone was connected to wi-fi.  

The Rogers rep claims there is no way that this could be an error and send me the Rogers form email suggesting turning off push mail, etc.  Clearly there has to be some kind of technical issue on their end.  To their credit, the Rogers rep did put a 30-day unlimited plan on our account so we wouldn't go over, but that doesn't get to the root or help us keep that from happening again.

Did anyone else who had technical problems (as opposed to teens going over their limits problems) actually get a solution?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello Happymutant

I would check what version of IOS that your wife's phone is using. It could also be related to her cellular settings, a minor update could have modified the settings, causing it to now consume much more data. Also, the data usage issue isn't localized to just Rogers. The excessive data usage is as wide spread as the Iphone it's self. Every service provider that I know of has clients who's Iphones all have the same or similar issues. Leads me to believe it's majorly an Apple issue, although not completely letting service providers off the hook since if that is they case, they are selling a defective but highly popular product. Not really surprising that no one has seriously looked into it though. Both sides profit from it. People keep buying their phones, so service providers keep selling them regardless as to if there could be an issue.

I know a possible issue related to the IOS 8 and IOS 8.0.2 could be the new options that are availible in ICloud. The following is some information and good tips I pulled from the "Iphone in Canada" website.

"Under Settings > iCloud > Documents & Data, toggle off ‘Use Cellular Data’ and any other apps you don’t want to use data.

I would highly suggest toggling off WhatsApp before launching it on a newly restored device setup as a new iPhone. Why? At the first launch (if you’re not in Wi-Fi range), the app sees your iCloud backup and starts restoring from it and will do so over cellular. The same goes for Camera+, especially if you have lots of photos being stored in iCloud.

Another area is under Settings > iTunes & App Store, make sure Use Cellular Data is off. Also, another step would be to toggle off My Apps and App Store if you don’t care for suggested apps based on your location (battery drain).

Another way to manage data is to go to Settings > Cellular, then scroll down to see which apps are allowed to use data. You can turn off data usage for individual apps here. Under ‘System Services’, you can also see what is using your data as well."

Hope this helps. I haven't tested any of these myself but they sound like reasonable precautions. 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having this issue the last two billing cycles but it is MUCH worse this cycle. Got a text saying I'd used 75% of my data on Friday and by Sunday I had another message saying I'd used 100% (even though I spent quite a bit of time at home on wifi!). My billing cycle ends April 10- so I somehow managed to use 75% in 2.5 weeks (which would average about 30% per week) , and then 25% in only 3 days???? The math does not add up and Rogers needs to be more helpful than just suggesting we don't know how to turn off data for specific apps.

I do not stream music or videos when not on wifi, and I managed on 500 MB per month for several years with my previous (non Rogers) provider.

Who do you contact to get this sorted out????

Good day @MichelleSh ,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

We are very sorry for the late reply. Were you aware that you can keep track of your usage either from the Rogers My Account app or directly from our website !? The usage information may be delayed up to 12 hours and it is the same with the notifications you are receiving. However, keeping an eye on your data consumption is ideal to prevent overages.

In the iOS Settings you have the ability to track cellular data usage per each app you have installed on your device.

To monitor and track your cellular data usage in iOS, first go into Settings. Then tap on Cellular. If you scroll down a little bit at first you will see your total history. It will show your Call Time and total Cellular Data Usage. If you scroll down further, you will get an alphabetical list of all the apps have use cellular data.

If you scroll all the way down at the bottom, you will see a button called System Services. If you tap on that, it will show you how much cellular data you are using for things like Messaging Services, Push Notifications, Documents & Sync, iTunes Accounts, Siri, Voicemail, Software Updates, Find My iPhone, Diagnostics and Apple ID Services.

The devices gather your statistics until you manually reset them on the device by tapping on the Reset Statistics button. If you want to monitor and track your cellular data usage, I would recommend resetting the cellular statistics on the 1st day of each billing cycle.

I understand the inconveniences of this situation. I’d like to help look into your data usage issue. I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I've experienced the exact same thing the last two billing cycles -- within four or five days of the cycle starting, I get a text message that I'm at 75% of my data for the month.  I've never come close to that in an entire month before as I'm on Wi-Fi 90% of the time that I use my phone at home or work and my daily driving is at most 45 minutes total.  Last month I check several of the settings mentioned in earlier posts but I'm still gobbling up my data apparently.  I changed a few more of the settings today so will have to wait and see how it goes.  I would love to solve this mystery like everyone else!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have noticed that my iPhone 5 has trouble accessing free wifi systems in public areas. Sometimes it won't automatically access my wifi at home.
Could this be the problem? Perhaps your phones are using cell data because they haven't automatically used available wifi?