Iphone Data Usage Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Iphone Data Usage Issue

Today we got our Rogers bill and I was shocked to see that two of our lines were over the data limit as we have never had this issue before.  I've been doing some research today and reading many of these comments and a familiar story seems to be appearing.  Right near or at the end of the billing cycle the 100% data usage warning comes, a phone call is made to Rogers and a standard response of "oh you just started your billing cyle, we'll have to wait another month before we can see what is going on".  Wonder if this same pattern will develop this month??  Something is no sitting right with me on this.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They shouldnt have to wait a month for the details... but correct they cant right when its billed.

When your new billing cycle starts, the old month is wiped from regular view.. and everything calculated for your bill.. this usualy takes a few days (3-7).  Once that bill is posted, you should be able to see all the old data (on your posted bill).. this goes for rogers as well.

Their view, is from the same system, so they are restricted in the same way. (Yes, the data IS there otherwise.. they just have no way of accessing it)

If you suspect something.. keep a regular eye on your data daily.  Even screen shot the daily usage each day..  so you have a record.. Here is 10 days leading up, where you see only 50mb a day go up... and i am under 60% usage.. then on the last day it goes over!"
You have more proof to then to go after them with.

I wish the usage on the cellular, was more like the INTERNET one.. were you could break it down by day, view past, etc.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 iPhone 5's on my plan. My daughter's iPhone 5 is 6 mons old and she had not exceeded her data allow acne until mid June 2013 at which point she exceeded her data usage within 14 days of the billing cycle and ended up using 6.5 GBs data (her limit is 3 GB). By the time I got my Rogers bill notice it was 10 days into July and when I checked her usage online she was already over 3GB. Just got my July bill and she used 3 GB in 3 days! When I contacted Rogers the service agent indicted there have been more than one call from iPhone 5 users whose data usage has suddenly one thru the roof. I was told it may be a bug in the latest Apple O/S patch. Rogers is trying to be helpful but have not waived the hundreds of dollars in overage charges incurred in the last 6 weeks. My daughter has had to turn off data on her iPhone 5 which makes it pretty much useless as a "smart phone". I am ready to cancel my contract and pay out the phone as the penalty pales in comparison to how quickly he monthly overage charges are adding up. Feel caught between Apple and Rogers. Apple has not admitted a problem as per all the posts I have read and the wireless carriers are profiting from the issue. I have installed software on both my daughter's and my iPhones to identify what is consuming he huge amounts of data.

Has anyone else seen a huge spies in data usage despite no new apps or change in how you use your iPhone 5?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My iphone 5s (2 of them, mine and my wifes) have been fine.  Prior to our 5s, we were on 4's with a 500mb plan so were used to using low usage... we are now on a 2g plan... and our usage is still usualy with a 500mb odd range monthly.. have had the 5 for 3 months now, and havent noticed any spike, etc...

So if it is a apple bug, it may be to specific apps only.

Unforunately, canceling the contract, and going to another carrier, if its still an OS issue.. it will continue ongoing, and the other carrier will do the same thing in charging the overages.

Bit of troubleshooting..
I am assuming you have done a full power off at minimum on the phone?

As well, it would be worth doing a system restore.  If there is a bug/bad program, doing a restore should bring it back to defaults.  She will just need to re-install everything again (as long as you use the same apple ID, everything paid for, would be free to download again)

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Exact same problem here, I have the IPhone 5 and my daughter has the IPhone 4s and we had 2GB with our plan and we were never even close to being over 1GB and now all of a sudden I think it was 11 days into our billing cycle and we are way over the 2GB already. And we didnt even get a text from Rogers telling us that we've gone over. I called about it and the guy I spoke to said because your using an IPhone everything you do uses Data so there's nothing else we can do unless you get a Plan with more Data.

Also very very disappointed with the New Plans. They were suppose to be coming out with some new Student Plans and Family Plans on the 8th and all the new plans are absolute garbage, they have dropped their GB way down and jacked the prices up.

Think it's time to switch to a different carrier.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

"because your using an IPhone everything you do uses Data so there's nothing else we can do unless you get a Plan with more Data." <- I HATE this response there is something they can do, they can find out what is using all the data all of a sudden. They can stop data once you hit your limit, they can txt you you are using more than normal.

I mean if the credit card companies can detect anomalies and stop a weird transaction in it's place why can't a service provider? They know how much you normally use and what your regular patterns are. They know if you started using youtube or netflix non stop.

Maybe your phones aren't connecting to your wifi at home and you aren't noticing and that is why your data usage is crazy...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've followed this thread for a few days now because I have been having an usage issue. My daughter has an Iphone4 and I just got my son the 5 and switched over to a family plan. Turns out my daughter had a overusage of 9GB which was gonna cost me BIG, so that was waived if I signed on to the family plan. My understanding was that if they used the wifi at home there would be no cost cause it's on our internet. The helpful person at Rogers explained to me that I needed to go to settings/general/cellular and switch that off. My kids were using wifi but if cellular is on, that usage will be charged as data, hence the ridiculous data usage and fees. I don't want to sound like an idiot, this seems so simple, but I wish this was explained to me and I told my kids <ahem> "read the manual!"

I'm not sure if this is the same issue as stated in previous posts, but usage was thru the roof. I have told them keep cellular off and if they need (pppffftt "need") turn it on then off after they're done. If I had known I could have saved a lot in usage, but lesson learned. I have not seen this explained elsewhere so I hope this is a solution for others. When I bought these phones this was not mentioned to me and I do not have an Iphone. 

Also, my son has mentioned if the wifi is lost the phone will automatically switch to LTE(cellular?) so if our internet is switched off or intermittent and cellular is on it will connect and data usage will be charged, just a head's up.

Hope this helps, I won't know the outcome until I get my next bill. Wish I had an Iphone....

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

" My understanding was that if they used the wifi at home there would be no cost cause it's on our internet. The helpful person at Rogers explained to me that I needed to go to settings/general/cellular and switch that off. My kids were using wifi but if cellular is on, that usage will be charged as data, hence the ridiculous data usage and fees."

You have been given some miss information here. If you are on wifi no matter what settings the phone has set you will no incur data charges. You do not have to turn off cellular data.

"Also, my son has mentioned if the wifi is lost the phone will automatically switch to LTE(cellular?) so if our internet is switched off or intermittent and cellular is on it will connect and data usage will be charged, just a head's up."

Your son is right, if the phone cannot get on wifi it will fall back to the cellular (LTE/3g/Edge) networks and continue to use data. This is to make a seamless experience when leaving and entering wifi zones.

You should do some work on your home wifi network and make sure you have strong signal throughout the house. As long as the phones can connect to the wifi network they will not use cellular data. Even if your internet connection goes down they will remain on wifi (just the internet stuff won't work) which should be the cue to go fix the internet.

Sounds like your daughter uses her phone somewhere in the house that has poor or no wifi signal and so it is using Rogers data network instead.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Chris is correct on this. 

I get that in one bathroom in my house.. can sometimes be 2 bars.. but often can fail back to 3g/LTE.. as there is like 6 sets of copper pipes below the bathroom.. an I beam above and below the entryway, etc... alot of interfearance.

One other thing to note as well.  I know i have seen it ocassionaly on the iphone.. possibly can happen on other phones.
Sometimes, some apps, dont like 'letting go' of the connection they were originaly opened on.  So if something was opened on a cellular connection, even though you went into a wifi zone... it doesnt 100% switch over.

Sometimes the best practice, is to 100% kill apps when done with them, so when you open, will grab the current zone you are in.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your response, I will take this info and get a handle on this. Thanks!