cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I sell my iPhone do I give them the sim card?

Stroops
I've been here awhile

If I sell my iPhone 4s am I supposed to give them the simcard too?  I dont need it because I got a new one for iPhone 6 but just dont know if the sim card will like give them access to my phone plan and stuff or how that works?  I know it's deactivated when I got my new phone but still,  am I supposed to leave it in the phone when I sell it or take it out?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: If I sell my iPhone do I give them the sim card?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @lockdown2341

As a Rogers employee i dont see a good reason why you are telling the customer to give his sim card to another person they do not even know. All Rogers reps and carrier reps I have met tell customers to digard them... The sim while yes can be  useless, it does contain information like contacts & numbers. They can see it if they want too & get ahold of numbers they shouldn't. That is a big risk saying "I don't see any 'downsides' to leaving it in exactly' . The best thing to do is break the sim & throw it out before selling the device once its been deactivated.

Also just wanted to say.. Some sim cards are able to be reenabled on your account. I have been able to do it a couple of times for some customers at work and on my own devices and sim just last week. It's rare but it can happen.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JohhnyRockets
I'm a trusted contributor

Not at all. Once the SIM card has been deactivated, it cannot be used again. Remove it and throw it out! The person who purchases your iPhone 4s will be responsible for obtaining their own SIM card!

Stroops
I've been here awhile
So if it cant be used or anything why not leave it in? Atleast then they can use the device until they get their own sim card without seeing the INSERT SIMCARD message the whole time. No? Is there any down side to leaving it in.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a trusted contributor

@Stroops wrote:
So if it cant be used or anything why not leave it in? Atleast then they can use the device until they get their own sim card without seeing the INSERT SIMCARD message the whole time. No? Is there any down side to leaving it in.

Since it can't be used, my question to you is WHY leave it in? If there is any chance that they could get your data from the SIM card, why leave it in? It makes no sense! Besides, they cannot use the device without their own SIM card. Just throw it away!

@Stroops It couldn't be used anyway. Once you upgrade to a new phone and SIM, the old SIM is deactivated. And all SIM cards are one-time use only products so once it has been used there's no way to make use of it again.

I don't see any 'downsides' to leaving it in exactly but there is little to no point, as that other person will need to be putting in an active SIM to get the device to work on a network. And I don't think it'd be possible to get someone's data off their SIM (their contact list maybe?) but it is usually better not to tempt fate by leaving it in.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @lockdown2341

As a Rogers employee i dont see a good reason why you are telling the customer to give his sim card to another person they do not even know. All Rogers reps and carrier reps I have met tell customers to digard them... The sim while yes can be  useless, it does contain information like contacts & numbers. They can see it if they want too & get ahold of numbers they shouldn't. That is a big risk saying "I don't see any 'downsides' to leaving it in exactly' . The best thing to do is break the sim & throw it out before selling the device once its been deactivated.

Also just wanted to say.. Some sim cards are able to be reenabled on your account. I have been able to do it a couple of times for some customers at work and on my own devices and sim just last week. It's rare but it can happen.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Stroops

For your own safety and such remove it and throw it in the garbage. Some hackers and theifes can get ahold of the sim and if it has some contact information they can use that and yeah u know the rest. As a normal user just do that instead of leaving it in the device.

I never said to give it away to another person. I said there's little to no point in leaving the SIM Card in the phone and it's best not to tempt fate by leaving it in the phone.

Please don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say.

Also it's impossible to reactivate a SIM Card on a different phone number once it has been used once.

Sarcee
I plan to stick around

So when someone is buying a phone from me, they don't need to see the phone working with the sim card in it?

Do they just want to see the phone turned on and working?

Hello, @Sarcee.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community; you don't need to have a SIM card inserted in the phone to check its functionality. Once you have copied over the required data from the phone, you should factory reset it. The buyers are usually looking for the phone's overall condition, network compatibility, whether it's unlocked, whether it's blacklisted, battery life etc. Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation