IPhone XS Max

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: IPhone XS Max

Sorry to hear that. What did apple say when you asked for a replacement? Is there a way they can check how many calls your dropped? I have my appointment booked with them Monday to see what they can do. Since I posted this message on here I've had over 20 dropped and failed.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @tripppyj1

Unfortunately Apple store can only replace the phone. Until Apple head office does a recall or sends out some kind of update or something then only swaps can be done via Apple.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @TheApprentice

Yeah it seems like this is a bigger issue on Apple's end and their offices aren't dealing with it properly. Once again Apple has failed to take action and keeps pushing this. Just like the Touch Decease issue and other issues with the previous devices.

It's sad to see how Apple is handling this considering how many have complained on the Apple Community forums and tech sites reporting this from the getgo.
I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to apple support on the “apple support” application from the App Store and they ran a diagnostic test remotely on the phone. They were able to see the dropped called, which were about 30% of calls at the time.
When I went to the apple store, annoyingly they decided to do all the diagnostics tests again. But that time they say how much more bad it was. Of 130 calls , about 60 had dropped. (I guess a more advanced diagnostic?)
Nonetheless, they replaced it after I had done basic troubleshooting with tech support prior. Such as restore the phone to factory settings using a computer (fresh install), contact the carrier to do troubleshooting on their end etc.
I’m surprised I’d get two duds in a row. The other baffling part is how “not widespread” this issue it. So it’s definitely affecting a smaller pocket of people like you and I and meow mixes friend.

At the apple store they said mine was the first they saw with the issue.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheApprentice wrote:
I spoke to apple support on the “apple support” application from the App Store and they ran a diagnostic test remotely on the phone. They were able to see the dropped called, which were about 30% of calls at the time.
When I went to the apple store, annoyingly they decided to do all the diagnostics tests again. But that time they say how much more bad it was. Of 130 calls , about 60 had dropped. (I guess a more advanced diagnostic?)
Nonetheless, they replaced it after I had done basic troubleshooting with tech support prior. Such as restore the phone to factory settings using a computer (fresh install), contact the carrier to do troubleshooting on their end etc.
I’m surprised I’d get two duds in a row. The other baffling part is how “not widespread” this issue it. So it’s definitely affecting a smaller pocket of people like you and I and meow mixes friend.

At the apple store they said mine was the first they saw with the issue.

You should've showed them the 122 page thread on Macrumors, this issue is very wide spread and affecting all carriers. I personally wanted to get the XS Max, however this issue of poor connectivity is what has stopped me.

Cellular connectivity is my number 1 priority in a phone, so I may jump ship and get a Pixel 3 since it uses Qualcomm. 

I currently have a 8 Plus with the Intel modem, and I find the phone switches to 3G a lot, instead of hanging onto LTE like my old Qualcomm iPhone 6s did in the same locations. The 1 bar of LTE provided better speeds/experience than the 3-4 bars of 3G in the same location.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @gp-se

Do you really think showing a Apple rep this will do anything? Have you seen how many are complaining on the Apple Community forums which are straight to Apple? Let alone all the Tweets people have left for Apple? Apple knows but they aren't doing anything about it. I have sent them emails, shown Level 2 management what's happening and all I got was " we will submit it to her development department and back end " that's all.

Showing them a website the rep will agree and just go on doing nothing. Apple's head office ( Tim cook) hasn't come clean about this and doing something about it. They just said some are having but a small factor which is a lie. They know the website which report this including Mac Rumours as they watch those website including 9to5mac closely.

The ball is on Apple's head office to do something about it. So it's a waste of time showing a website to a rep that can't do anything. You can submit a issue but that's it.

I wish Apple actually took care of issues instead of prolonging them and making customers more upset then happy. This has happened for years with Apple. Bendgate, Touch Decease, Antenngate and now this.
I Plan to Stick Around

Just received my second replacement in the mail as opposed to going to the store. Called apple and they waived the “express” shipping fee so I could get an advance replacement and ship back the old one.
Third call out of the box and it failed. Followed by another call failed right after. However I did some more research and saw some people say to go to settings and change the LTE options:

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > Data

(Instead of Voice & Data)

I just ran 6 test calls and all worked without issue. I will monitor closely over the next couple days and see if any calls drop with the setting off.

Could it just be a carrier settings issue with Rogers and this new phone?
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @TheApprentice

Hmm seems like it could well be BUT it would be affecting all Rogers customers with the Xs and XS Max. Only you have seem to have reported it here and speaking to Patrick within MS ( Mobilesyrup) he said he hasn't gotten a message from anyone complaining about this other then the usual problem with the Xs and XS Max.

If it's affecting other users and they are reporting it other threads, it would be nice to know that Rogers can see it so they are aware.
I Plan to Stick Around

So I’m not quite sure what fixed it, but iOS 12.1 came out as well as new carrier settings for Rogers. Once I updated, calls are working perfectly so far. I think I’m about 2 dozen calls in with LTE > Voice and Data checked off.
Finally !
All the phone swapping may have been for nothing in my case.