cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone XS Max

tripppyj1
I've been here awhile

Random issues which I'll list below I have been having since I got the phone a day or 2 after it launched on Rogers. 

1. Calls constantly failing when I'm trying to dial out.

2. Calls dropping when I have 2 other people on the line at the same time.

3. Reduced date speeds on the cellular network instead of consistent speeds.

4. The new issue today, I sounded like a robot to anyone I called. Even after restarting the phone multiple times and turning airplane mode on and off multiple times.

I have reset all cellular network settings twice now. I am also on the latest update that Apple pushed out. For my job, I am always on my phone and need this to be 100% functioning. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have a lemon? Help, please!!

***Added Labels***

18 REPLIES 18

Re: IPhone XS Max

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @trippyj1

3). Everyone is having this issue. It's a known issue that many in the US, Canada and Europe are having with. Apple hasn't come forward yet to claim it's a issue but it is. So Rogers unfortunately can't do much about that.

The rest sound like It's a connection issue. Have you led Rogers to have then reset ur account and see if that works?

Have you tried to do a reset on the network via the settings on the iPhone? Did you change the sim card to a new one?

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
Hi all,
I’ve been having this same issue consistently. Tonnes of “call failed” messages for outgoing and incoming calls.
Is changing the sim card actually a viable solution? I have used my existing SIM card for about 2 years on an iPhone 7 Plus.

I called Rogers back and forth about 3 times and they said they fixed the problem but it still continues.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TheApprentice

Try going to the store and asking for a sim card because tech support notified you that your old one may be defective. They should simply give u one for free and activate it for u.

Sometimes some sim cards do fail on their own. So it could be that.

It could also be a varies of other reasons. Many on the Apple forums and around the tech sites are complaining about poor WiFi / LTE connectivity and also poor reception as well. Some have reported in the states about the Call failed as well.

So if the sim card trick doesn't work or resetting the networks via the settings, I would highly booking a appointment at ur closest Apple store and see if they can figure something out.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@tripppyj1 wrote:

Random issues which I'll list below I have been having since I got the phone a day or 2 after it launched on Rogers. 

1. Calls constantly failing when I'm trying to dial out.

2. Calls dropping when I have 2 other people on the line at the same time.

3. Reduced date speeds on the cellular network instead of consistent speeds.

4. The new issue today, I sounded like a robot to anyone I called. Even after restarting the phone multiple times and turning airplane mode on and off multiple times.

I have reset all cellular network settings twice now. I am also on the latest update that Apple pushed out. For my job, I am always on my phone and need this to be 100% functioning. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have a lemon? Help, please!!

***Added Labels***

@tripppyj1

This issue is huge and affecting a lot of people, it's an Apple issue, and not a Carrier issue. The Antenna design and/or modem is causing all sorts of trouble for people. 

Is the mobile reception on the xs Max even worse than iPhone X ?

Don't waste time swapping SIM cards, or having Rogers "reset" your account from the back end. From reading the thread some people have had success swapping the phone, but other people say the replacement is the same. 

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
I went to a store to get a SIM card swap and they said that they have to charge me for it, further more I asked if it was necessary to change it and they said no, since it’s working and connected to the network.
I devided not to spend money on the card because I had zero issues with my iPhone 7 Plus and took the existing SIM card out of that phone and put it into the XS Max with issues.
Nonetheless I finally went to online apple support to look into it.
They ran a call test and found more than 20% of my calls were failing. They said 10% is what they consider really bad.
They of course recommended a reset of the device. Did that, same issue.
They have now decided to replace the device. No apple store appointments available all weekend so I will have a replacement on Monday.
I’ll update here if the replacement solves the issue.

Tonight alone I had approx 10 dropped calls with the same person. Sigh.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TheApprentice

Hmm seems like the store doesn't like to help it's customers out. Usually they give them out to the customers thag tell them they have already called in and spoke to customer support.

None the less I'm not having this issue with my iPhone Xs Max with another carrier I am with. However my buddy on Rogers is. He swapped out the phone and it's still causing issues.

Get another iPhone from Apple and see if it still happens. You may be lucky and not have this issue again.

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
I went back to the store and spoke to a different rep. Mentioned again that tech recommended a sim swap. She insisted I had to pay $10 but I insisted back that “I was told” it should be free, she then did it for me.
After swapping it, the second phone call failed. Insert *upside down smiley emoji”.

Fingers crossed the apple swap works, but now I’m so wary based on your story of your friend’s device that the issue might persist.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TheApprentice

Hmm then hopefully it does fix with the exchange of the devices. Reading on the Apple Community forums that some did the exchange and it worked but some did and it continued on that device.

I am hoping with the exchange it will stop. This is a big problem with Apple and they aren't taking care of it let alone come out clean.

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
Got my replacement and had over a dozen calls fail today.
I cannot keep dealing with this nonsense. I have a $2000 phone that can’t even function properly as a phone.

tripppyj1
I've been here awhile
Sorry to hear that. What did apple say when you asked for a replacement? Is there a way they can check how many calls your dropped? I have my appointment booked with them Monday to see what they can do. Since I posted this message on here I've had over 20 dropped and failed.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @tripppyj1

Unfortunately Apple store can only replace the phone. Until Apple head office does a recall or sends out some kind of update or something then only swaps can be done via Apple.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TheApprentice

Yeah it seems like this is a bigger issue on Apple's end and their offices aren't dealing with it properly. Once again Apple has failed to take action and keeps pushing this. Just like the Touch Decease issue and other issues with the previous devices.

It's sad to see how Apple is handling this considering how many have complained on the Apple Community forums and tech sites reporting this from the getgo.

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
I spoke to apple support on the “apple support” application from the App Store and they ran a diagnostic test remotely on the phone. They were able to see the dropped called, which were about 30% of calls at the time.
When I went to the apple store, annoyingly they decided to do all the diagnostics tests again. But that time they say how much more bad it was. Of 130 calls , about 60 had dropped. (I guess a more advanced diagnostic?)
Nonetheless, they replaced it after I had done basic troubleshooting with tech support prior. Such as restore the phone to factory settings using a computer (fresh install), contact the carrier to do troubleshooting on their end etc.
I’m surprised I’d get two duds in a row. The other baffling part is how “not widespread” this issue it. So it’s definitely affecting a smaller pocket of people like you and I and meow mixes friend.

At the apple store they said mine was the first they saw with the issue.

@TheApprentice wrote:
I spoke to apple support on the “apple support” application from the App Store and they ran a diagnostic test remotely on the phone. They were able to see the dropped called, which were about 30% of calls at the time.
When I went to the apple store, annoyingly they decided to do all the diagnostics tests again. But that time they say how much more bad it was. Of 130 calls , about 60 had dropped. (I guess a more advanced diagnostic?)
Nonetheless, they replaced it after I had done basic troubleshooting with tech support prior. Such as restore the phone to factory settings using a computer (fresh install), contact the carrier to do troubleshooting on their end etc.
I’m surprised I’d get two duds in a row. The other baffling part is how “not widespread” this issue it. So it’s definitely affecting a smaller pocket of people like you and I and meow mixes friend.

At the apple store they said mine was the first they saw with the issue.

You should've showed them the 122 page thread on Macrumors, this issue is very wide spread and affecting all carriers. I personally wanted to get the XS Max, however this issue of poor connectivity is what has stopped me.

Cellular connectivity is my number 1 priority in a phone, so I may jump ship and get a Pixel 3 since it uses Qualcomm. 

I currently have a 8 Plus with the Intel modem, and I find the phone switches to 3G a lot, instead of hanging onto LTE like my old Qualcomm iPhone 6s did in the same locations. The 1 bar of LTE provided better speeds/experience than the 3-4 bars of 3G in the same location.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @gp-se

Do you really think showing a Apple rep this will do anything? Have you seen how many are complaining on the Apple Community forums which are straight to Apple? Let alone all the Tweets people have left for Apple? Apple knows but they aren't doing anything about it. I have sent them emails, shown Level 2 management what's happening and all I got was " we will submit it to her development department and back end " that's all.

Showing them a website the rep will agree and just go on doing nothing. Apple's head office ( Tim cook) hasn't come clean about this and doing something about it. They just said some are having but a small factor which is a lie. They know the website which report this including Mac Rumours as they watch those website including 9to5mac closely.

The ball is on Apple's head office to do something about it. So it's a waste of time showing a website to a rep that can't do anything. You can submit a issue but that's it.

I wish Apple actually took care of issues instead of prolonging them and making customers more upset then happy. This has happened for years with Apple. Bendgate, Touch Decease, Antenngate and now this.

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
Just received my second replacement in the mail as opposed to going to the store. Called apple and they waived the “express” shipping fee so I could get an advance replacement and ship back the old one.
Third call out of the box and it failed. Followed by another call failed right after. However I did some more research and saw some people say to go to settings and change the LTE options:

Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE > Data

(Instead of Voice & Data)

I just ran 6 test calls and all worked without issue. I will monitor closely over the next couple days and see if any calls drop with the setting off.

Could it just be a carrier settings issue with Rogers and this new phone?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @TheApprentice

Hmm seems like it could well be BUT it would be affecting all Rogers customers with the Xs and XS Max. Only you have seem to have reported it here and speaking to Patrick within MS ( Mobilesyrup) he said he hasn't gotten a message from anyone complaining about this other then the usual problem with the Xs and XS Max.

If it's affecting other users and they are reporting it other threads, it would be nice to know that Rogers can see it so they are aware.

TheApprentice
I plan to stick around
So I’m not quite sure what fixed it, but iOS 12.1 came out as well as new carrier settings for Rogers. Once I updated, calls are working perfectly so far. I think I’m about 2 dozen calls in with LTE > Voice and Data checked off.
Finally !
All the phone swapping may have been for nothing in my case.
Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation