Group texts not working on iPhone 4S after switching to Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Group texts not working on iPhone 4S after switching to Rogers

I guess my starting question is -- does Rogers support group texting on the iPhone?  

My wife and I just moved back to Canada from the States, where we frequently used group texting.  Apologies for the super basic explanation, but the Rogers tech rep I talked to for an hour (!) didn't seem to know what a group text was, so for the record: it's a text sent to multiple people at once.  Everyone who receives the text can see and reply to everyone else.  Here's a screenshot I found online:

After we moved here and switched to Rogers, group texts that either of us sent to the other plus other people stopped working.  They look they worked on the sender's end, but each recipient sees them as texts just from the sender to them, and replies go only to the original sender.  Strangely, they seem to still work just fine on my Nokia Lumia Icon; the problem seems limited to group texts involving her phone.

Perhaps related -- Apple's support site shows that there should be a Group Messaging setting in Settings / Messages:

I can't say for sure whether this setting existed before we switched to Rogers, but it's not there on my wife's phone anymore.

Can anyone tell me if Rogers supports group texting on the iPhone?  If they do, does anyone have any idea if this is a known issue, and if so, how I might fix it?  If nothing else, if it's supported, we might try doing a factory reset on her phone.

Thanks!
Steve

***Edited Labels***
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Group texts not working on iPhone 4S after switching to Rogers

StephenHui:

I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 8.2 and it does not have Group Messaging. I guess that means Rogers does not support it or that my 4S is too old and it's an option for newer iPhones. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @StephenHui , welcome to the forums.

Yes, at the current time we do not support group texting Smiley Sad .

I've had my own experience with this topic. I send group text messages to my band mates every weekend; however I am the only one that receives the replies (not the entire group).

I've Been Around

Looking for an answer as to why someone in a different region with a different provider would have an option to enable mms group messaging on their iPhone device with the same iOS update.

Looking to send an receive group messages without using a 3rd party messaging app like what'sapp etc.

see images:

image1.PNGimage2.PNG

I'm a Regular

Yep. US carriers support group texting over the MMS protocol so that you can group text with non-iPhones or on androids, but no carrier in Canada supports it yet unfortunately... And it doesn't look like they ever will. So your only option is to use a third party app like WhatsApp or Viber unfortunately.

I'm a Regular

I never really caught on to this issue until about a few weeks ago, and it has got me totally puzzled to why it is happening...

I use a Lumia 920. I've had it since day one, bought from Rogers under a three year term, and it's still going strong!

However when I send a Group Message, Group SMS, Group MMS, or whatever you want to call it... it has various results. In the beginning I thought it could be my phone do to the fact that I was running the Windows insider developers preview, however this does not seem to be the case.

I was able to pickup a Lumia 1020, and it was still running stock firmware and the APNs were all fresh and everything was great. It too wasn't sending properly.

So after elimination, I've come up to the conclusion it only happens when I include a number in the group mms for which the person is using an iPhone.

The Problem is that I can send the message just fine, all the people get it just fine, however, when the person on the iPhone gets the message they get it as a standard text message as if it was just sent from me. They do not see the others in the group, nor do their messages go to others in the original group.

I know it's the iPhones, because when I receive or send a message with Android phones, it keeps the message in the Group MMS form and everyone sees the group and everyone sees all the dialog.
I tried switching my SIM card to an android phone and sending a Group MMS again, but the iPhone users still don't see the group or group dialog.

Has anyone else experience this, and if so is there a fix or a workaround that anyone knows of?

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @b-ry

Let's see if we can get this figured out for you.

Maybe @brandonjbarnard can provide some insight on this?

@RogersPrasana

Retired Moderator RogersAdam
Retired Moderator

Hey 

I'm a Regular

@RogersAdam  I would agree with the "Apple doesn't play well with others", have had numerous issues in the past with various things... but the Group Messaging/MMS thing has totally got me stumped...

I don't know that. But I believe they do not since there has never been anytime my number has ever been associated with the iMessage servers. The most notable group MMS involves 4 iPhones (1 Rogers, 1 Fido, 1 Bell, and 1 Virgin [iphone 5 to iphone 6 devices] -- if that matters I don't know) and one Android phone (Telus)

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hi @b-ry

As noted above group messaging for iPhone is not available on our network. This would correspond with what you mentioned, the fact that the iPhone number was not included in the group.

From my personal experience, I've never tried a group text using the traditional methods as i use Whatsapp and iMessage. I've heard of the group text function working on some androids but haven't tested myself. Are you performing yours with out the use of 3rd party messaging applications?

RogersAsif