Europe - Roam Like Home - Can Receive Calls but Can't Call out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Europe - Roam Like Home - Can Receive Calls but Can't Call out

cannot call out but can get calls in while in Europe

so I am trying to do tech support for my dad while he is in Germany. He has an iPhone 5S updated as far as it goes. He has the "roam like home" for this trip. He can get calls in, but cannot make calls out. He has tried 1-519-xxx-xxxx and 001-519-xxx-xxxx. I do not have exactly what it says when he calls, but something along the lines of "this number is not assigned. He is definetly calling a correct number, but this keeps happening. 

Has tried restarting the phone with no luck. What is going on here, why can he get calls but not make outgoing calls to Canada?

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Europe - Roam Like Home - Can Receive Calls but Can't Call out

Hi @wonderings,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear your father is having issues with making calls oversea.  Has your father tried dialing + before the phone number he's calling out to? Is he able to make local calls within Germany? He may want to try dialing +1-1-xxx-xxxx. 

Let us know if this helps, and I hope he enjoys the rest of his trip!

RogersShaun

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Shaun

Not sure I am understanding correctly. The "+" on my phone is a 0. Should he be dialing 01-1-519-xxx-xxxx?

Not sure about making local calls, my mom as a SIM card in Germany so they use that for local calling (pay as you go). He is trying to use the roam like home for work as there is no long distance with that.

I'm Here A Lot

If he presses and holds the 0, it will enter a +.  🙂 

• To dial +, hold down 0 until the plus symbol (+) appears. You can also replace + with 011, and dial: 011 52 998 followed by the 7-digit phone number. 

I'm Here A Lot

so to call Canada with roam like home he should try 011 52 998 (519) XXX-XXXX

What is the 52 998 for? I have never seen that with long distance calls before. 

I'm Here A Lot

Not too sure, that's what the RLH site outlines. Could be there to compensate for the + missing, for translations and whatnot. 

Hi @wonderings,

Did your father have any luck dialing out to Canada? If he's still experiencing any issues, please let us know!

You can also find some info on making international calls to Canada with Roam Like Home here

@Skitchy89

It looks like the example posted earlier, dialing 011 52 998, was for making calls to Mexico.  

Have a great one!

RogersShaun

I'm Here A Lot

He is going to try tomorrow with the +1 option offered earlier. Really not sure why this is so difficult, I remember sitting in a castle in Scotland years ago and pulled out my old flip phone and just called home, nothing weird to do, dialed country code area code and number. No travelling plan, just expensive roaming charge for a quick 1 minute call. 

I'm Here A Lot

I have to say this has been the most frustating experience with Rogers I have ever had. Something that should be so simple does not work. We have tried following the exact instructions from rogers via the link provided in this thread with no luck. Can still call him though, which is the wonky part of it. Would make more sense if nothing worked, but for him to be able to use the network there to recieve calls but not make them is crazy. He can make local calls but nothing to Canada which I asked chat support about before they left to make sure it would work and was assured it does. I remember years ago sitting in a castle in Scotland with an old flip phone from Rogers and just opening it up and making a call to Canada. Nothing complicated, no change of settings, just dialed and got through and that was without any roaming plans or anything of the sort. 

Next time around I will be going a different route and getting a SIM card in Europe to avoide the headaches of this supposed simple program from Rogers. Since he has been getting calls daily he is getting the $10 a day charge so will end up with a $100 charge by the end of his 3 week trip for services he could not use and the time to get that refunded on the phone with Rogers will just add to that. Not happy with this service and will not use it in the future. I have a US SIM card but liked the deal from Rogers and was going to use that on a trip out to Colorado in June but going to stick with my US SIM with less data because I know it actually works.

Hello @wonderings!

That definitely does sound frustrating. When travelling, most of our customers do expect it to "just work". Please accept my apologies as this is not intended behaviour.

In this case, if he was truly unable to make outgoing calls, we can refund the Roam Like Home fees. Please PM us @CommunityHelps and we'll look into this for you.

If you're not familiar with how to PM, please follow this link for instructions: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/535

Regards,

RogersCorey