Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SIM/eSIM now available for eligible iPhone XS, XS Max and XR devices

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community,

As of today April 24th! Rogers is happy to introduce the launch of Dual SIM/eSIM  via 34 of our Flagship Rogers Retail locations (see chart below) where we will be assist you with set up and answer any eSIM/Dual SIM questions you may have.

What is Dual SIM/ eSIM?

eSIM is SIM Card that’s embedded within a device. A physical eSIM card is required, as a QR code is scanned and is downloaded to the device, eliminating the need for a SIM tray and SIM card.

Currently the only Dual-SIM devices— iPhone XS, XS Max and XR —support both an eSIM and a Nano SIM; this means you will be able to use two phone numbers (Primary and Secondary) for calls, messages, and data.

If you want to activate an eSIM, you must first have a physical SIM activated on your eligible iPhone (with Rogers, or even with another carrier if their device is unlocked).

At this time eSIM can ONLY be activated as a BYOD plan with a generic IMEI number.

What’s in it for you?

• Have two phone numbers on a single iPhone
  • Make and receive voice calls, send and receive SMS and MMS, and separate personal and business calls.
  • Switch between two different mobile networks (can be a different domestic or international carrier).

Store

Address

City

Prov

Postal Code

South Centre

100 Anderson Rd. SE, Unit 37

Calgary

AB

T2J3V1

Market Mall

3625 Shaganappi Trail N W, D011A

Calgary

AB

T3A0E2

Chinook Centre

6455 MacLeod Trail S, Unit 306

Calgary

AB

T2H0K8

Southgate Centre

5015 111 St NW, 460

Edmonton

AB

T6H4M6

Metropolis at Metrotown

4700 Kingsway Ave, Unit 2235

Burnaby

BC

V5H4J2

Coquitlam Centre

2929 Barnet Hwy, Unit 1200

Coquitlam

BC

V3B5R5

Richmond Centre

6060 Minoru Blvd., Unit 2254

Richmond

BC

V6Y2V7

Guildford Town Centre

10355 - 152nd Street, Unit 2538

Surrey

BC

V3R7C1

Pacific Centre

701 West Georgia Street, D071B

Vancouver

BC

V7Y1G5

Polo Park

1485 Portage Ave., Unit #174

Winnipeg

MB

R3G0W4

Kildonan

1555 Regent Ave. W, Unit #T-30

Winnipeg

MB

R2C4J2

Garden City

2305 McPhillips St., 161

Winnipeg

MB

R2V3E1

Champlain Place

477 Paul St., #F-003B

Dieppe

NB

E1A4X5

McAllister Place

519 Westmoreland Rd., E5

Saint John

NB

E2J3W9

Mic MacMall

21 MicMac Blvd., Unit 144

Dartmouth

NS

B3A4N3

Halifax Shopping Centre

7001 Mumford Rd, Unit 154

Halifax

NS

B3L2H8

Bramalea City Centre

25 Peel Centre Dr., Unit 157E

Brampton

ON

L6T3R5

Sherway Gardens

25 The West Mall, 1925

Etobicoke

ON

M9C1B8

Lime Ridge Mall

999 Upper Wentworth St., 301A

Hamilton

ON

L9A4X5

Masonville

1680 Richmond St. N, Unit L077C

London

ON

N6G3Y9

Square One Shopping Centre

100 City Centre Dr., Unit 1-731

Mississauga

ON

L5B2C9

Square One Shopping Centre

100 City Centre Dr., Unit 1-856

Mississauga

ON

L5B2C9

Oshawa Centre

419 King St. W, Unit 2272

Oshawa

ON

L1J2K5

St. Laurent

1200 St Laurent Blvd., Unit 248

Ottawa

ON

K1K3B8

Rideau Centre

50 Rideau St, Unit 327G

Ottawa

ON

K1N9J7

Scarborough Town Centre

300 Borough Dr., Unit 100

Scarborough

ON

M1P4P5

Pen Centre

221 Glendale Ave, Unit 88

St. Catherines

ON

L2T2K9

Yorkdale Shopping Centre

1 Yorkdale Rd., Unit 322

Toronto

ON

M6A3A1

Toronto Eaton Centre

220 Yonge St., 1113

Toronto

ON

M5B2H1

Bloor East

333 Bloor St. E

Toronto

ON

M4W1G9

Conestoga Mall

550 King St. N, Unit 5G

Waterloo

ON

N2L5W6

Carrefour Laval

3035, Boul. Le Carrefour, Unit A024

Laval

QC

H7T1C7

Rue Ste. Catherine

1015 Ste Catherine St. W

Montréal

QC

H3B1H1

Fairview Pointe Claire

6801, Route Transcanadienne, Unit #F002

Pointe-Claire

QC

H9R5J1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dual SIM/eSIM now available for eligible iPhone XS, XS Max and XR devices

Hey Community,

Previously, eSIM was only available in certain retail locations. Good news! As of October 17, 2019 eSIM is available in all retail locations (except Best Buy).

You can also place an order to get an eSIM sent out through customer service, just like any other SIM card.

Check out these useful articles for more information:

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

67 REPLIES 67

Berrz
I've been here awhile

Thanks, Finally!

chrisuz91
I plan to stick around

I am on a BYOD corporate plan (under my own name). Am I still able to do this in store?

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

This is fantastic news, finally! A couple of questions:

1. Can I switch to eSIM on my grandfathered BYOD plan without Rogers forcing me to activate and switch to a new in-market plan?

2. Would it be easy to switch the eSIM amongst different phones? For example, does it have to be set up each time on a different phone? Or, could the eSIM be stored simultaneously on all phones but made active only on one at a given time?

2. Is it possible to revert to a physical SIM if I don’t like how the eSIM works?

Thanks!

itzyabooyyy
I plan to stick around

This is awesome! Had been waiting for eSIM support for so long. I went to my local store (Bramalea City Centre in Brampton). The employee I dealt with didn't even know this was a thing, haha. However, the manager was able to come out and explain how the process goes and everything went smoothly. I now have an eSIM on my iPhone XS Max! However, it should be noted that Rogers is charging a $10, one-time fee for switching to an eSIM. They de-activate the SIM card and then have you scan the QR code that they provide (and you get to keep, obviously). Make sure you are able to connect to WIFI or some sort of internet connection before scanning the QR code or else it won't be able to be activated! You need a wireless network to complete the eSIM activation. The entire process was fairly quick, took less than 10 minutes. Longest part was waiting in line.

Also, should note that the BYOD plan I had was the Christmas plan that was offered a few years ago. 

Happyhuh
I'm here a lot

A few questions:

1) Is this for consumers, or business customers only?

2) Can I port a number to the eSIM line?

3) What plans are available for eSIM?

4) None of the stores listed are close to me - is there someone at Rogers I can contact for more info? When will this be available at all stores?

User444
I've been here awhile

Hi Key point :
-Must be BYOD plan ( Bring your own device)
-You can keep your existing plan
-You can keep your existing phone number
-You need the esim QR code ( available in store )
-You need internet connection.
(Once you have the esim QR code, you can complete the settings yourself. )
- no activation fee/ or any fee (some store charge $10 for esim card (just a card with QR code and the esim number)

Here is how I did it.
Walk in Coquitlam Centre Store, sale know about the esim, but no knowledge of how to switch existing phone number and plan from sim to esim. Sales search Rogers sales central website, no helpful info. Sales said store manager had training done for esim. Sales call store manager, manager said: only help new activation customer setup esim. ( sounds like the manager decide not to provide customer services to non profitable matters)
I ask the sales for a esim QR code, and try do it myself.
Here is how:
-Select phone number you desire to use esim
-Select change sim
-Enter old sim number
-Enter esim number
-Scan esim QR code on my I phone
(For iPhone user: Setting-cellular-add cellular plan-scan QR code-.........follow the
Follow the prompt to finish setting)
Friendly reminder: you will lost all voice mail after the switch, had to setup new password for voicemail.

@Happyhuh wrote:

A few questions:

1) Is this for consumers, or business customers only?

2) Can I port a number to the eSIM line?

4) None of the stores listed are close to me - is there someone at Rogers I can contact for more info? When will this be available at all stores?

Hello @Happyhuh !

You've asked some really great questions! Although some of your queries have been addressed by @User444 (thanks! 👍), I'd like to provide clarification for the other questions you have. Please see below!

1. If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company's telecom administrator to see if they authorize the activation of a new line using an eSIM on the corporate account to be used on the Dual Sim device. The billing of the lines on Dual Sim compatible devices is dependent on the plans selected on each respective line and they will appear on the invoice of the account used for the activation.

2. Yes, you can use a physical SIM card and an eSIM card to port your phone number from another carrier to Rogers.

4. Further to my explanation provided in point #1 of my post, Business customers should have the ability to activate an eSIM Card through the Contact Centre if they prefer. For non-Business customers, they will still be required to visit the nearest supporting retail location to activate an eSIM Card.

I hope this helps! 😄

RogersLaura

gezimcela
I'm here a lot

Hi there,
I just activated my esim yesterday at Yorkdale Shopping Centre . I transferred my existing line from a physical nano SIM card to the esim card and the process was some minutes only and so far my number works fine
To explain you one thing I payed $10 plus HST so total $11.3 for this service .
I feel comfort now because I can use my iPhone XR with a other SIM card when I go outside Canada.
Thank you Rogers.

chrisuz91
I plan to stick around

I was just able to seamlessly do this in store. The rep was aware of it but not sure of the process. Asked her to just go to SIM swap and see if that works, and it did!

@RogersYasmine, @RogersDarrell: will the contract-iPhones be included or will this be a BYOD-only feature? Any ETAs you can share?

Thanks.

Hey @Wadih,

I understand the excitement about Dual SIM/eSIM! At this time, we don't have any further updates surrounding the availability outside of BYOD.

Please keep an eye here in the Community and we'll provide updates as soon as we know more! 

RogersTim

jrbisk
I've been here awhile

I'd like to express my frustration from my attempt at getting an eSIM today.  I called my Corporate Concierge number to confirm that my corporate discount plan qualified to be converted from a physical SIM to an eSIM and I was assured that I could and that the Limeridge Mall location was the closest to me.  I made the drive to the location only to be told by the store manager that eSIMs were only available as a new activation.

I went back to my car and decided to call Rogers again and was assured once again that I could get an eSIM with my existing plan and number.  The CS Rep even put notes on the account that it was possible and how to do it.  Back into the mall I went only to be told it's not possible even though the phone rep said it was.  This time they looked briefly around the system and insisted that it can't be done.

After finding this thread, I can see that it is possible to do and I will once again have to drive back to the store to do this and hope they'll believe me this time...what a waste of my time!

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

@jrbisk

Man-o-man, these managers! I went to Yorkdale Shopping Centre and asked for a QR code that I could set up on my XS Max later myself. The salesperson goes for the manager who tells me that, the eSIM being a pilot programme, he decided not to sell QR codes unless they activate it on the phone in the store. He said that was his store policy. In the end, I decided to go for it and they charged me $10+tax, for the activation service. Easy money for them!

I then asked for a physical SIM in case I wanted to revert to a physical SIM (e.g. to use my iPhone X backup phone), and they give me one for free, no problem. Go figure!

User444
I've been here awhile
Just like I mention in my earlier post ,
They at not interested to do customer services, unless profitable.

Aquazoo
I've been here awhile

Have been using in UK for a week now, with a pay as you go UK sim as primary, and my

Rogers e-sim as secondary. Monitors both and works like a charm. 

qwerty_15
I've been here awhile
What about other phones that support esim such as Google pixel 3? Would I be able to convert over to an esim or are they only going to do iPhones?

Wadih
I'm here a lot
@Aquazoo: Are you on a BYOD plan or on a contract with Rogers?

jrbisk
I've been here awhile
Went back to Limeridge yesterday and was able to successfully switch to an eSIM. The rep wasn’t sure how to do it, so he went back to speak with his manager. A few minutes he came back and advised me that his manager said that the eSIM was only for new activations. I showed his this thread and said that physical to eSIM is possible as well. He advised me that there would be a $10 fee to do the swap, which I think is ridiculous. Either way, we were able to get it working by doing a SIM swap and then activating the eSIM using the QR code on the card in the Settings app of my phone.

This whole process was far more painful than it needed to be and I am extremely disappointed in the management at the Lineridge Mall store. As a pilot store, they should be more aware of what they are piloting and the management at a minimum should know how to do this. Not only did it take me three attempts to complete the swap, I was advised each time that they couldn’t do it even when I told them that the phone CS rep said I could and when I showed them this Community post from Rogers themselves.

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

Can the eSIM be disabled temporarily when travelling?  The use case I see is when travelling to Europe, I'd like to be able to insert a European SIM for use, and disable the eSIM so that I don't get charged the $12/day Roam Like Home fee.  Upon returning home I'd want to be able to just re-enable the eSIM.

Yes/No?

Paul

MichaelYYZ
I plan to stick around

@paulfielding

Yes, the eSIM can be disabled!

You go to Settings -> Cellular -> Physical SIM Plan -> Turn On This Line -> Off. 

Alternatively, you could turn only data off: Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data -> Select either Off, or the European SIM line. This way you could use your Canadian eSIM line for Wi-Fi calling for free. But be careful not to dial our or pick up incoming calls on your Canadian line when on the cellular network abroad (not on Wi-Fi). The iPhone will indicate which line the call is coming in from. 

Topic Stats