Do Not Disturb and Call Block don’t work with Rogers Name Display

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Do Not Disturb and Call Block don’t work with Rogers Name Display

There is a known issue in iOS 7 where the iPhone’s Do Not Disturb and Call Block won’t silence incoming calls if you are subscribed to Rogers Name Display and the incoming Caller ID includes a name (e.g. JOHN SMITH 444-555-1212), which in my case is most calls.

The workaround is to have Rogers temporarily disable Name Display on your wireless account, until the problem is fixed.

When calling Rogers about this, their Level 2 support suggests that you also ask to be added to the master ticket for this issue.

Apple has also been made aware of the problem, as it will take both Apple and Rogers working together to fix it.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Do Not Disturb and Call Block don’t work with Rogers Name Display

I will have to see if that happens here. I know my wife puts hers on dnd over night, and we have name display... Don't think it has not stopped it but only received maybe 1-2 calls ever when in dnd.

I Plan to Stick Around

Darin is absolutely correct. In fact there is a lengthy thread on the Apple Support Communities about this.  Many Rogers and Fido users have shared their problems with DND and Call Block not working, but kudos to Darin for figuring out the root cause is an incompatability between iOS 7 and the Rogers Name Display.

Rogers Tier 1 and Tier 2 iPhone technical support have not been very helpful.  They will create a ticket but close it immediately, citing this is an Apple software issue and out of Roger's hands.  After much haranguing I was finally put through to the Wireless Customer Advocacy Group.  Apparently they have higher authority than Tier 2 and will actually (gasp) call you back for a follow-up!  Sounds like their goal is NOT to close tickets, but to actually resolve them.  Shocker, I know!

Tonight they performed some tests on my phone with Name Display on (calls went through despite the number being blocked and/or DND turned on), and then Name Display off (all calls were blocked).  They will conference call me on Monday with Apple support so they can take over and run more diagnostics.  Hopefully this can finally be figured out and resolved!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I 100% agree that rogers should not be closing tickets on this 😞
But they really cant FIX it themselves per say.. they should be working hand in hand with Apple TO resolve it, since apple is the one which needs to do the software push/fix.
(compared to ALL other phones.. windows phones, android, BB, etc... Apple is the ONLY one that rogers is not in control of the OS updates on)

Hopefully your call can at least put them on the right track at apple, and they can release an update sooner rather than later.

I'm Here A Lot

I agree that Apple’s iOS 7 upgrade appears to be the thing that broke the compatibility between Rogers Name Display and iPhone’s DND & Call Block features. In fact, when I discovered that DND wasn’t working, I went to Apple first. It was through extensive testing with Apple that we were able to pinpoint the conflict.

However, after both Apple and Rogers confirmed the problem and the workaround, neither company’s engineers/technical teams seemed willing to take the first step. At least at Apple, some great Senior Support Advisors are working to move this forward with their engineers, whereas, every call I’ve made to Rogers Level 2 Support results in the same stubborn response: “Yes, our network team knows about the issue. No, there’s no one else you can talk to. It’s not our fault and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Nonsense! Of course there’s something they can do about it. They can initiate contact with Apple and, as @Gdkitty said, work “hand in hand” to resolve the current incompatibility.

What I don’t get is why, regardless of whose “fault” it is, Rogers is so resistant to resolving an issue with one of their network-exclusive marquee features on one of their marquee phones. If I were them, as soon as I became aware of the issue, I would have be reaching out to Apple to figure out a solution.

Next time I call Rogers, I’ll ask to be put through to the Wireless Customer Advocacy Group. Amazing that none of the many, many Level 1 and Level 2 people I’ve spoken with so far has told me about that group. Thanks for the tip, @wongnog!
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This might be a bit of a silly question but don't people ever turn their sound off or turn their phone off completely when they don't want to be bothered with phone calls?

I Plan to Stick Around

if you put the phone on silent, the buzzer will still activate for any calls or texts or push notifications you get (unless you disable that too in settings). I prefer to keep my phone on so when I wake up I don't need to wait for it to boot up. I hardly ever turn off my phone!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello wongnog

While that is true, you can also change it on the settings - Volume. There is a setting where you can turn off the buzzer aka vibration when in silent. !
I'm Here A Lot

@diveman My mobile is my only phone (I ditched my landline years ago), so I always want it on in case of a family emergency call. iPhone's Do Not Disturb is great for this, because it will silence all calls and alerts and suppress the vibration and keep the screen dark, but will still allow calls from an allowed callers list.

If I use the standard silent mode, it won't ring, regardless of who the caller is, which doesn't adequately address my needs.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well I guess it's to each their own decision but my phone is also the only phone I have now ditched land phones 3 months ago cause of so many issues with Manitoba Telecom Services. And quite often if we don't want to answer a call we just turn the ringer off. My concern is why would you want to silence only 1 or 2 contacts? Maybe should consider why you even keep them as contacts if you're just going to ignore their calls.