cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Personal Hotspot on iPhone

falcios
I'm an enthusiast

I have an iPhone 7 with no data.  In the cellular settings, Personal Hotspot there is a wheel/gear spinning all the time.  Is there a way to disable the Personal Hotspot so that it isn't active or trying to connect all the time.

I'm guessing this is affecting my battery usage as well. 

Thanks in advance.

**Labels Added**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Disable Personal Hotspot on iPhone

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personal hotspot is where the phone itself SHARES its cellular data with another device.

The phone itself may not know per say that you have no data on it, but if its OFF, it shouldnt be doing anything.

Have you tried a full reboot of the phone? Does it continue afterward?

falcios
I'm an enthusiast

Yes I powered it off and on and it still continues.

Greetings @falcios!

This is kind of a weird issue. Since you do not have any data, your Hotspot technically shouldn't work at all. It shouldn't impact your battery since it's simply unable to connect. 

Have you tried resetting network settings yet? If not, try the following: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

This will restore your network settings back to factory defaults, which includes turning Personal Hotspot off. One thing to keep in mind is that this will delete all your stored WiFi passwords.

Please let us know if this step works.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Yes, I did reset my network settings.

I don't understand why it would keep trying the connect. I think the constant trying possibly could be affecting my battery.

Is there an Apple setting that can be turned off?

Thanks.

The setting you're looking for is under Settings > Personal Hotspot. The toggle there should be turned off. 

If you have no cellular data, this setting should be greyed out and inaccessible. If you're able to access it even with no cellular data, then it sounds like an operating system issue.

If resetting network settings didn't work, then I would recommend a backup and factory reset as the next step.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation