Data Overusage Apple Iphone 5s - Not Individuals Fault - Common Occurrence

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Data Overusage Apple Iphone 5s - Not Individuals Fault - Common Occurrence

Hi Everyone and Rogers Support,

I will try to put my emotions aside from this issue but some of Rogers CSRs make this hard.

I owned an Apple iphone 4s for almost 3 years before upgrading to my iphone 5s. I barely use data much as I have little or no demand for this luxury other than using Whatsapp, Imessenger and Touch to communicate with my family and friends. I have for 3 years straight (duration for most of the iphone 4s) rarely gone over the 1GB data plan that I had. Finally when my contract was over Rogers offered me something tempting - Iphone 5s at a discounted price with the plan that was better than my 4s (2GB and complete unlimited calling within Canada) at the same price (GREAT!!)

Within the first month I noticed a blimp in my data usage (which I thought was odd) I called Rogers CSR and asked why - I think the CSR didn't get any training but told me since the Iphone 5s is faster it uses more data than the 4s. I tried to re-educate her that if we were downloading the same size file with iphone 4s and 5s that the data volume doesn't change but she insisted that because the 5s is faster, that it would use more data to download that file (WOW) Anyways I didn't argue much as that was only an one time $15 dollar bill.

Over the next 3 months, I was extremely cautious of my data usage (Turning off data whenever I had wifi signal - about 90% of the time because I use my wifi at the work office and wifi at home). All 3 months I was charge data overage 1GB. So my usage which was the same as my 4s went from 1GB now to almost 3GB (2GB + 1GB overage). I have called Rogers to complain 2 consecutive months and the answer they give me is that, this is not their problem and I need to bring it up to Apple. (I bought the phone from you guys ROGERS - so its your problem not mine). One other CSR told me to just turn off my data usage completely for the whole month and that would ensure I wouldn't go over the 2GB limit. Why would I pay you guys for data service and not use it.

By now I think most readers understand my frustration. In the end of the day, its only $50ish that I had to shell over to Rogers so far (which Rogers is happily making a profit on).

So this is my story and from the amount of info I have researched, these blimps happen a lot with ROGERS! 

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Data Overusage Apple Iphone 5s - Not Individuals Fault - Common Occurrence

I have the 5 (not the 5s.. but same OS, etc on it.. so should be identical usage wise).

I am on a 2g plan (likely around the same one as you).. and i rarely go over 600mb

Like you, i am in wifi at home, and also at work.

So i dont think its something SPECIFICALLY say OS related, etc.. or would happen more.

Thats not to say, it couldnt be a problem with the phone.. the current OS load on it, or even hardware.
Now.. this in the end, IS apple's job to fix it, not rogers.  Rogers in the end, is just the reseller.
If you buy a TV from bestbuy, and 8 months down the road stops working.. you dont take it back to best buy.. you deal with the manufacturer.

Have you tried contacting apple.. as its in warranty, they may just swap the phone for you.

Have you also done a full system restore on the phone yet?  It will wipe the unit, have to re-install everything.  But sometimes if its a bad OS load, etc.. (something say CONTINUALLY running in the background, even when you have closed all apps), the re-load of the OS will fix it.

In the end, This forum is only a USER to USER forum.. so really can only get help/sugestions from other users..

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey I understand you one of the ones ok with your phone but if you google "Rogers Iphone Data Leak" then you will see that the frequency of defects (Units or OS) is quite high.

Your comparison to buying a TV from best buy isn't a great comparison to this one for one reason that there is a link of service that Roger has to that phone. From what I got from Rogers CSR - They are well aware of this issue however they are still selling a product that has issues and results in higher revenue at Rogers end because data usage is higher. (This is greed in my opinion knowingly selling phones that has issues with data leaks to boost their revenues).

One of the CSR solutions to me was to turn off the courier data. That is ridiculous if you really think about it. Have you gone to a restuarant, paid for a meal and then don't eat it? The first CSR that I brought this issue up told me cause the iphone 5s is faster it uses more data. I don't think some of their CSR staff get adequate training (surprising because Roger generates enough profits to make sure training should be AAA) 

Finally when I had my 4s I had the same case as your iphone 5. I rarely went over 300mb because I had wifi at home and work. I do the same with my iphone 5s now and I'm at 3gb or more each month. Quite a bit jump of data usage 10 fold for same type of usage. I have wiped the phone completely but the problem still persist.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you search 'iphone 5s data leak' you can find that is is effecting all carriers, not only rogers.  There is a chance of this happening on ANY carrier.

In the end.. APPLE is the only one that can FIX the leak, if there is one.  Rogers has NO control over apple software.

I do agree that TRAINING though from the CSR's could do with ALOT of improvement sometimes.

I've Been Around

I am having the exact same issues with my 5s, please let me know if you find a solution, until than my data is staying off.

I've Been Here Awhile

My son is having a similar issue that I am researching to try and figure out a solution. So far I am finding alot of people with the same issue. He had a Blackberry previously and rarely, if ever, in the 3 years he had it did he exceed his 500 mb limit. He got a new I phone 3 months ago and every month has used almost 3 gb of data. He swears he is doing nothing different than he was on his Blackberry and while I can't really prove that statement, I tend to believe him. He wants a solution as it is obviously costing him money. So far in the first 9 days of his billing period, he has used 486 mb. I don't know if that is even possible. If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello martinguy

The iPhone 3 and any other smartphone uses different Internet then the old Blackberries do.. Older Blackberries use something called BIS ( BlackBerry Internet Services). This will compress the data to a smaller amount. The iPhone and new phones do not have this and will use more data. This is why your son is going over. Tell him to turn on WIFI when in a WIFI area and tell him to turn off any applications he is using as they may be turned on via the background.

Also tell him to turn off auto sync which is for emails, notifications and any background applications.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the suggestions Meowmix. He already has been using wi-fi when at home but the auto sync is a possibility. Can you tell me where to access this feature ? Is that the same as "background app refresh"

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The bigest thing you want to focus on here.. is what Meowmix first mentioned.

When using Data on an old blackberry.. it was compressed as it went through the blackberry internet service.

Say the act of downloading a 10mb email attachment.  ON a regular smartphone it would use up 10mb
But on the blackberries, it would use up probably 3-4mb.

So while his HABBITS havent changed.. how much they end up USING in the end, has.  The 500mb may not be enough anymore Smiley Sad

I've Been Here Awhile

Seems like a good argument for going back to a Blackberry.