Cannot unlock iPhone that was replaced via Apple Care

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Cannot unlock iPhone that was replaced via Apple Care

In 2014, I had to bring in my original Rogers locked iPhone 5 to an Apple Store for repairs. The Apple Store replaced the phone with a new one that was also locked. Now that I'm ready to unlock the phone, Rogers has no record of the replacement phone's IMEI in the system and therefore cannot unlock it for me. What can I do to get it unlocked?
Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Cannot unlock iPhone that was replaced via Apple Care

I went to the Apple Store and they printed me a copy of the work order showing the old IMEI and the new replacement IMEI. That did the trick. I showed it to the Rogers store clerk and they registered it into the system. Unlock underway...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I would recommend getting the phone unlocked via a third party retailer
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The replacement phone you receive should come unlocked as well. This is all managed by Apple. If there is an issue, call apple and they will look up the iPhone you had before, see it was unlocked and do the same for your replacement!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

The 3rd party unlock looks kinda sketchy. $75 US or more, and many reviews are mixed.

I've Been Here Awhile

When Apple replaced the iPhone in 2014, it was still within the Rogers 2 year contract, so they had to replace it with a similar locked iPhone. Now, it is all paid for, so I want to unlock it, but Rogers cannot unlock the replacement iPhone, since it is a different IMEI number from the original iPhone that was purchased. Do you think I could stop at the Apple Store I had the repairs done at and have them unlock it, or at least register the IMEI into the system, so that Rogers can unlock it?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Go to a Rogers store and keep pushing them, I had the same thing happen on an iPhone 5 that got the power button recalled. Apple said it was a Rogers phone while Rogers said it wasn't theirs even tho it was locked to their network. Have the rep call apple and confirm the phone was a warranty replacement, eventually they will call their unlocking team and Rogers will unlock it for their usual fee. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I went to the Apple Store and they printed me a copy of the work order showing the old IMEI and the new replacement IMEI. That did the trick. I showed it to the Rogers store clerk and they registered it into the system. Unlock underway...

View solution in original post