Can i find out who owns a number?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can i find out who owns a number?

Hey guys, this isn't so much an apple issue as it is almost a harrasment issue.

So last night in the middle of the night, i started receiving text messages from a number that was not in my contact list. The person knows my name and other details about my past and present that not many people know about and was borderline harrassing me about my boyfriend and stuff like that. Long story short... i kept asking for a name to figure out who they were, but they would only give me vague hints so i have absolutely no clue who it is(they claim to be from my past about 10 years ago...so looong time ago). Not sure if its a friend pulling a prank on me with someone else's phone, or if it is someone from my past who is trying to harrass me.

I know they are a Rogers customer(basic online search for the number) and they own an iPhone(i also have an iphone and the text messages were coming through ichat). I was wondering if i contact rogers, will they tell me who this phone number belongs to? This way if its a friend i can say not cool...or if its someone from my past harrassing me...i can block the number. I don't want to flat out block the number without knowing, incase it is a friend.

Please help!

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Can i find out who owns a number?

Rogers may help you but its rare for them to give info out like that. I would say contact the police and have them look at the messages and have them contact that person to see who they are. Also you are able to look threw phone books and online searchs sometimes it may show a name.

Contact Rogers first and see what they say. I really hope u find out who they are
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can also try turning off iMessage and they wont be able to message u

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Pauly you are wrong on that one. They have her phone number which means even if she turns off iMessanger, they will still be able to text her & she will still receive it as a normal text.
I Plan to Stick Around

hi guys, thanks for the advice, but i dont want to be hasty and contact the police about it because if they contact the person and it is a friend playing a prank, i dont want them to have to deal with the police (they can deal with me and that's enough for me lol). i'll contact rogers on my break from work and see if they can do anything for me. online searches only show me that its a rogers cell phone originating from toronto (but most people i know have a toronto phone number so that doesnt help)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

If Rogers can not do anything, there is something called Extreme Text Messaging from Rogers. You are able to block those numbers from texting you. Ask Rogers to add that on your account if you do not have it & add the numbers as well.

There is also a few apps on the App Store which let you block those numbers as well. Most of the times Rogers will not give the name out because of security reasons but i hope they do with you seeing as they are doing this too you.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can turn off imessage then block the # in the extreme text messaging portal that would prevent them from messaging you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also as well, i was just playing with it today.

I added the 'Rogers ONE number' to my cell phone.

In there, there is a blocked list.  Now, i dont know if that blocks it ONLY from the app, but they still come on the phone? But might be worth a shot as well.

I've Been Around

Seems you have a prank caller, why don't you try to do a reverse phone lookup?

Give me a hint when you've found that person.

I've Been Around

How do you do a reverse phone lookup? Most website that offer it are SCAMS! How do you do it?