Buying a phone off Craigslist

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Buying a phone off Craigslist

Hey suppose I'm buying a sealed never opened cell phone locked to Rogers off Craigslist. Are there any steps I should take or is it just buy the phone and I'm good? Is it possible to have this transaction take place at a Rogers store so that ownership can be transferred? Are there any charges associated with that? Anything else to look out for?

Thanks

Solved! Go to Solution.
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Re: Buying a phone off Craigslist

No one needs to be present just for a phone sale. It would only be necessary if you're taking over their wireless account/plan/phone number, etc. Honestly it just sounds like you can buy the phone and you're good, but make sure you have your own SIM card to use.

I'm Here A Lot

To ensure it's not a scam can I get ownership tranferred at a Rogers Store? Wondering because I don't want to take a risk(i.e what if the phone is blacklisted?) And transferring ownership will ensure the person can't report the phone as stolen/lost so that they cant blacklist it after I buy correct?

Thanks!

Rogers Employee

I don't see how it would be possible to have it blacklisted if it has never been opened, unless the previous owner somehow has the IMEI.

Now one of the downsides of the blacklist is that the account holder is the only one who can report the device lost or stolen. So once it is registered to YOUR account, then yes you can blacklist it if something happens. However if the device is registered on his account already, he can very easily call and request it to be blacklisted, even if he has sold you the phone.

You can go into a store if you want but it won't prevent any of that from happening.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @locksown2341

That is correct. So the buyer needs to call in and register the IMEI number under their account at the time of purchase or go to a local Rogers store and have them do it there with the seller. This way is easier.
Rogers Employee

Yes but even if that is done, if this IMEI is in any way listed on the other persons account, they can in fact call in and have it blacklisted. Adding the IMEI onto the OPs account doesn't prevent that. That's why buying phones in this way is discouraged.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @locksown2341

Not necessarily true. I bought a phone via Kijiji and was smart and added the IMEI number on the account. Also left a note on the account letting them know I got it off Kijiji as well. Low and behold the guy tried to blacklist it a couple days later but because it was already added on my account, they didn't let it go though as he needed my account information to do so. So even though the IMEI number was on his account, there was a conflict also due that the IMEI was also in my account and they couldn't do anything.

Always call in or ask for the IMEI number before hand thus why i said meeting at a Rogers store is best as they can safely remove the IMEI number from their account and u can add it.

Again it's on your own risk but this is why we are here to let them know what can happen and what to expect or do 🙂