Bought iPhone 4S 16gb off Kijiji...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Bought iPhone 4S 16gb off Kijiji...

I'm sure the topic already spells trouble (as many lost/stolen items end up on there).

The seller claimed his Fido locked iPhone 4S 16gb would work fine with a Rogers micro-chip sim card. Being inexperienced I bought it. I tried a Rogers sim card and it clearly did not recognize/work. I'm aware of Rogers' iPhone unlocking policy and the CSR I spoke with stated I was not eligible for an unlock since the phone I bought secondhand may have been a lost/stolen device; not to mention it was still on contract with Fido AND I wasn't the only person to try this "tactic" to get an iPhone unlocked... I guess I got screwed on Kijiji... Smiley Sad

I don't want to switch over to Fido because I've been a Rogers customer forever. I also dont want to jailbreak and software unlock the phone potentially voiding the warranty. At the same time, I would really like to use this phone on the Rogers network.

What do i do?
Conflicted...

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Bought iPhone 4S 16gb off Kijiji...

Well we do not know if the phone is stolen or not. You can not assume because the seller said it can work with Rogers. Some phones from Fido that are locked to Fido can still work with Rogers without unlocking them. iphones tho you can not. WE either did not know that or played you, again we can not assume until we find out the truth. Also any rep can tell you over the phone it can be stole but if it was really stolen then even if you unlock it & Rogers know the IMEI number they would not let it go into the system.

I have been in your spot as well before so i have called the seller & made sure he gave me the money back because i told him i would contact the local police & sue him. within a hour he meet me & gave me my money back.

There is no other method to unlock the iPhone 4S right now unless you jailbreak it. Yes it does void the warranty BUT before you take the iPhone back to the Apple store you can always reformat the phone & install a new fresh software in which Apple will neber know the phone was ever jailbroken. ( they can not tell because you added a new software on it.)

If you want you can always contact Kijiji & tell them what is going on. IF you have any emails or texts saved from him then you can show that as proof as well. The other thing you can do is sell it on kijiji & whatever you make, you can buy a Rogers iPhone 4S with it. Make sure you always get a receipt when getting a phone like that tho.

I've Been Around

i have an iphone 4 and i need to shift to fido maybe we can trade so that we can solve our problem

I've Been Here Awhile

There is a hardware unlock available now. I dont endorse unofficial unlocks but sometimes its the best way to go if you bought a contract phone and are stuck with it. At least you can use the most competitve carrier.
I've Been Around

This could potentially be exceptionally late. If not! Have you tried taking it to the apple store? ASk them what they can do, they might even be able to help you out Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

This is a know issue.

Problem being, Rogers will not unlock as not a Rogers iphone, nor your the original owner.

Have you tried contacting seller?

Apple, nor Rogers can HELP you only FIDO and original owner.  Thats the situation. 

If phone not reported stolen or skipping contract, you can do a 3rd party factory unlock at 100-150 cad and thats only solution. if reported stolen or skipped contract means you have a glorified ipod .

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, Sorry to hear about your situation.

If you want the phone to work with Rogers, you will need to obtain what's called a "Gevey Sim Ultra S", it is a micro SIM adapter that goes on top of the micro SIM within the SIM tray of the iPhone, and it will allow your iPhone 4S to work, up to the latest firmware (5.1.1) prior to iOS6.

You can get this for around $25-$40 range. 

The instructions are very simple: turn off your iPhone 4S, remove SIM tray & SIM card, insert Gevey Ultra S adapter (module), on top of it, place Rogers SIM card, re-insert the SIM tray back into iPhone 4S, turn on the phone, wait approx. 3-5 minutes AFTER the boot-up (apple logo, lockscreen, etc.), and you'll be prompted with a message confirming the use the Gevey Ultra S & you will have signal on Roger's Network (including Data as well).

If you need help around Toronto area, let me know, I'll be more then willing to help you out in person, PM for more details. 

I'm a Regular

Btw jailbreaking your phone does not void your warrantee, it's legal as per the court case.
I've Been Around

Hello,

I just bought an iphone 4s locked to rogers, went to rogers to activate it, turns out it's reported stolen, the guy who sold it to me says it's not the girl that claims it's stolen will not refund my money to get phone back and knows the guy who sold it to me, he claims she owed him money and gave him the phone she claims he stole it, either way not my problem i'm out $160 what do I do any ideas to unlock it or get my money back and buy a phone that is not Stolen or reported stolen, it seems like a scam between him and her to steal money off people but not my problem no one is getting phone until i get my money. Advise please

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Otown_Capone

You can contact Rogers, show them emails or texts about the sell and see what happens. You can call the police but it's just going to make things more difficult on everyone including you. I would contact that person and tell them you are calling the police and will show them everything as u paid for this device and u were told it was clean.

Next time when buying a phone online, ask the person for the IMEI number and contact Rogers to see if it's clean or reported stolen / lost. If they wish not to do it, tell them to meet u at a Rogers store and you and them can take the phone instead and have recently Rogers see if it's reported stolen or lost