I know I can get a phone elsewhere if I choose. What I was trying to get across is the rogers reservation system is not a reliable way to track your place. there must be many variables to the system. I am on the west coast and my friend in ont placed an order 2 days after me. Same phone. She was 900 something out of 1200 something. when i ordered mine on the first day i was 300 something out of 348 give or take. she got her phone last week. All I am saying is the system just does not make sense to me and I assume there are other people that feel the same way. Normally I would be ok waiting a while for a phone, but the phone I have now is just about done. I have to reset almost every day just to keep it working. Also when I first place my order the Rogers rep told me it would be 2 to 3 weeks.
The reps were told to say that because they did NOT know Apple has low shipment because of Apple not supplying them enough. This is something many did not & still do not understand( Not saying you but in general). The reps go by what they think will happen. They have NO way of knowing when Apple will send devices or how many they will send. So they give u a generic answer.
I do agree the reservation system has flaws but when Apple isn't even giving their own stores enough to have the carriers won't get much.
Hmm that doesn't sound right at all. How could she just skip & get it before you. I haven't seem that on here at all to be honest. Hmm..
As i said. You have plenty of options to get the phone if your phone is not working. The other ways are the same as Rogers so u can try & see what u can do.
In the end i do agree with u.
@Meowmix... Unfortunately some of us on the business/corporate reservations do not have other means of getting the phone since we can only upgrade through the reservations website or at Lifestyle and or Uptown communication. I have called them too and they don't have stock either. Even left my info on the phone I wanted but haven't heard from them. The only option is to buy the phone unlocked at the apple store and for me that would not be an option. I ordered Sept 20 6 64GB SL started at 578 and dropped down to 50 last Thursday and am now at 48 (due to cancellations) so here's hoping I can get a confirmation tomorrow or this weekend.