Apple Watch and Wifi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Apple Watch and Wifi

Wifi works!

I'm relatively new to my apple watch series 3. imagine my surprise when I started getting txt messages on the watch when I had left my phone at home.

Turns out if you have been in a place with your phone and watch connected and your phone connected to the local wifi, then next time you visit, (without your phone), the watch will automatically connect to that wifi and you are go to go with your watch.

Very cool.

***Edited Labels***

Re: Apple Watch and Wifi

Hello @brianewebb1,

Thanks for sharing your findings with the Community!

You can pair the Apple Watch with a compatible iPhone using Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and it allows you to enjoy its most popular functionalities (e.g. GPS, heart rate sensor, health apps, etc.). However, I wasn't aware that it could be used while the paired iPhone was not near by. We're therefore grateful you took the time to let us know it works perfectly for you. Smiley Wink

Cheers!

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

If your Apple watch series 3 is LTE capable you don't need your iPhone or even any Wifi to make calls or get messages, as long as your carrier is Telus or Bell. With Rogers you will have to stick near known Wifi networks as Rogers does not support the LTE series 3 Apple Watch, and have refused to say if or when they ever will.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Great to know that - so in effect, you have a WIFI enabled smart watch that is pretty smart - didn't realize it could work without the phone nearby, but then again, if it has an antenna for bluetooth, and LTE conection, those chips usually include WIFI as well.

So you have a WIFI enable smart watch, with no LTE capability as long as you are Rogers, as long as you have a WIFI connection, and neat that it works just like the phone and can automatically pick up a past connection.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

My series 1 connects to Wi-Fi I can tell because I see a DHCP lease for it on my router 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I thought the 1 did it too.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It probably runs like the iPhone/iPad does.

If the cell phone receives a facetime, imessage, etc.. and its on wifi, and the ipad is as well, the call will come up on the ipad and allow you to answer there as well.

I've Been Around

When rogers will support Apple Watch Series 3 ?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @dziadull

Unfortunately at the moment they haven't released any information on when they will support it.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers does not support Apple Watch LTE and currently has no plans to support it in the future.