Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular models) Activation

@aawong

Sorry to hear about your troubles. IMHO, the SIM should be not relevant. Rogers played the same tune to me, viz. that my SIM is pre-2012 and does not support LTE and Apple Watch.

But, my iPhone does support and works with all the fancy features such as LTE data, VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling and now the Apple Watch on the Rogers network. This, with my pre-2012 SIM, which is still in my phone. (Rogers said they're going to send me a brand-new, shiny SIM by mail, but I have yet to receive it.)

I said it before, and I will repeat this: It was not my open ticket with Rogers Technical Support that was collecting dust for ten days which fixed my Apple Watch issue; it was @RogersMaude here, on these forums, who did something behind the doors and the issue was resolved within minutes.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@nasa25  Thanks for the comprehensive list.  I know my sim card was 2013 or older so I did go get a new one after seeing your post and activated it, but no success. I have spoken to Rogers support twice today and they have reviewed my account details with no success. So I'm back in a holding pattern - I'll call Rogers again in a few days - had enough of this for now.  21 days in the WS501 waiting lounge and counting...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gregory1 there's something on your account that's causing the error code

The rogers rep(s) you spoke to probably just don't care enough to do a deep dive into your account to find out what's causing the problem.   Maybe if you escalate the issue to the Office of the President that might ruffle some feathers enough to get them to actually take a proper look at your account.

It's like a game of roulette.  Talk to 50 CSR's and one is bound to find the problem.    

It's such a shame that we, as customers, have to self diagnose these issues.

Here's how it should go:

Customer - I can't activate my apple watch

Rogers - we will open a ticket and get a resolution within 24 hours....

24 hours or less later....

Problem is solved.  No excuses.  No crazy wait times.  As paying customers we shouldn't have to self diagnose or even care what's causing the issue.  It should just be solved for us.  

Sorry for the rant.  Seeing all these ongoing problems is frustrating.  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have the same problem WS503 can’t pass true the agreement. I called 3 times never get feedback with my ticket. I called Apple and get an appointment next week... Hope they can do something for... Very desapointed!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Again i was on last night with multiple tech reps. Can someone give me the correct answer i got two different answers from rogers have no idea who is right.

Tech #1: He says your iphone must be on and connected to the network in order for your apple watch to get a LTE connection. Essentially your iphone pushes notifications and phone calls to the watch? So i guess you need to keep your phone on and walk far enough away so your watch loses connection to test if the LTE works on the Apple watch.

Tech #2: He say your iphone can be in airplane mode so shut off from the network and the apple watch will than connect to LTE? Very different from Tech #1 that says you iphone needs to be registered on the system in order for the watch to catch LTE????

I tried both methods and my apple watch can't connect to LTE???

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Morinistudio don't waste your time going to Apple.  They can't do anything for you.  This is a 100% rogers issue.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@aawong your phone doesn't need to be on for the watch to connect to LTE.

The smartwatch line is tied to the iPhone line on rogers end whereby if your phone is off, all of your calls, texts, emails, etc will default to the watch.

All you need to do to test LTE on the watch is go outside maybe 500m away from your phone or a known wifi connection.  The phone can be on or off.  It doesn't matter.  

So on your watch, the cellular icon just stays white when out of range of your phone and wifi?  Does it turn green at all?  Do you just get the big red X (disconnected) when out of range of your phone and wifi?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi !

Did anyone with an old account/rebate was able to enable their Apple Watch with the Share Everything package ? I've been on the chat for a few hours, received a phone call from a tier 2 a week ago and still nothing. Still get a WS503 error when trying to activate my serie 4 watch with my iphone X... I tried to get an update yesterday with my case number but the person on the chat told be she couldn't do anything.... I feel like i'm doing some kind of beta testing for Rogers but still receive the bill at the end of the month . . .

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@aawong wrote:

Again i was on last night with multiple tech reps. Can someone give me the correct answer i got two different answers from rogers have no idea who is right.

Tech #1: He says your iphone must be on and connected to the network in order for your apple watch to get a LTE connection. Essentially your iphone pushes notifications and phone calls to the watch? So i guess you need to keep your phone on and walk far enough away so your watch loses connection to test if the LTE works on the Apple watch.

Tech #2: He say your iphone can be in airplane mode so shut off from the network and the apple watch will than connect to LTE? Very different from Tech #1 that says you iphone needs to be registered on the system in order for the watch to catch LTE????

I tried both methods and my apple watch can't connect to LTE???

If the iPhone is off or on airplane mode with all radios off (Tech #2), the Apple Watch should still connect to the LTE wireless network, but the functionality of the watch would be somehow limited.

If the iPhone is on and connected to the network (Tech #1), but not nearby your Apple Watch, the Apple Watch should connect to the LTE wireless network, and the watch should have full functionality.

This article by Apple should help: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205547.