cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Family Setup

veilofsun
I'm here a lot

Hello everyone,

I didn't find anything related to Family Setup here so my question is: Can we expect Apple Family Setup feature for Apple Watch this year?

***Added Labels***

114 REPLIES 114

Re: Apple Family Setup

finalStrawWithR
I'm here a lot

Adding my name as well --- I might have to switch carriers if this feature doesn't get implemented and I do not understand why it hasn't been yet!

sbourque1
I've been here awhile

3 years later - any information yet?

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

It's not happening.  If you need it, switch to Bell.

sbourque1
I've been here awhile

Thanks- I agree. That's the conclusion I came to with my research this weekend. It's a bit of a pain to have to switch providers but not much more than having to 're-negotiate' promotions/plans every year with Rogers. Oh well, at least there is a path forward somewhere.

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

If you don't mind jumping through hoops, what you can do is just set up the watch on bell.  You'll have to do a bit of digging, but the basic steps are:

- call bell and create a web account with them.  You don't need to actually buy services with them yet.

- find someone you know who uses bell, and ask to borrow their sim card for a few minutes.  Your phone needs to be on the bell network to buy a stand-alone watch plan, but you don't need your phone to be on bell to maintain the plan.

- put the bell sim card in your phone, reboot

- pair the watch to your phone and tell it you want to set up the watch as a Family Setup watch

- when it asks you about a cell plan for the watch, tell it to buy a new $10 plan from bell, login using your bell credentials

- buy the plan, receive a phone number for the watch.

- make sure watch is working

- swap your rogers sim card back in and reboot.

I did this, and it works just fine.   I paid $10/month to Bell for my kids watch, and my phone was on Rogers and it maintained the watch just fine.   Did it until we got my kid a phone, at which time we cancelled bell and ported her number to her rogers phone, and re-paired her watch to her phone (without cell service).

Note, if this interests you, grab the steps from this message fast, as the Rogers Police are likely to delete this message since I discuss using Bell to game the system.

Paul

sbourque1
I've been here awhile

Thanks I was wondering if something like that would work. I assumed it tied the bill to the original cell bill, but sounds like if I login with my own account it won't.  My brother has Bell so I'll give it a shot!

ld19
I've been around

Hi!  Does Rogers support Family Setup for Apple watch now?

RogersYasmine

@veilofsun wrote:

Hello everyone,

I didn't find anything related to Family Setup here so my question is: Can we expect Apple Family Setup feature for Apple Watch this year?

***Added Labels***

Hello @ld19 ,

As far as I know, this option is not yet available at this time. If anything changes, we will surely let the community know. Apologies for any disappointment this may cause. 

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

TeDD13
I'm a trusted contributor
No, Rogers neither supports Apple Family setup feature nor did Rogers ever planned to implement it. You need to switch ti Bell or Telus (Ontario) if you really need this feature

It's been four years since Family Setup was announced, and Telus and Bell are gaining customers who need this feature. Is there any update on its release?