cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Family Setup

veilofsun
I'm here a lot

Hello everyone,

I didn't find anything related to Family Setup here so my question is: Can we expect Apple Family Setup feature for Apple Watch this year?

***Added Labels***

113 REPLIES 113

Re: Apple Family Setup

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

Sure.  Except that I've talked to two people at Rogers who are telling me it is supported.  They're currently trying to sort it out for me right now.    We all realize the website doesn't indicate support for Rogers yet, but I'm saying that I'm talking to Rogers folks who are telling me otherwise....

moldyCrow
I plan to stick around

That's great, but those are reps at the end of a phone line...sorry if I don't have much faith in Rogers' customer support.

Apple updates their stuff regularly; they'd be the first to promote something like this. Rogers does not offer family setup, right now. There would have been an announcement already. Seriously.

(If they're 'looking into it,' doesn't that already suggest something is wrong?)

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

Oh I agree with you completely - however occasionally when new features are enabled, it can be enabled for awhile before they do a marketing push, just in case they encounter initial problems.  I had no full on expectations that it should work, but I think if someone at Rogers is telling me that it should work, and is putting in the effort to get it working for me, don't you think it would be silly for me not to let them try (as long as I have appropriate expectations around them failing)?

As it turns out, I've just gotten off the phone with them - they have now confirmed that it is not yet enabled, and agreed that there is some confusing messaging going on with their support staff, which will be reported on so it can be fixed.   I'll now contentedly go back to waiting for further news....

moldyCrow
I plan to stick around
This doesn’t work. I tried it.

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

I'm definitely interested in hearing from other people who try the reddit thread approach, and if it works/doesn't work for them.   

Testerone
I've been here awhile
I was skeptical as well, but finally gave it a try. I can confirm that it 100% worked for me. I followed the directions described in the post. I’ve got a very happy kid today.

Blacko
I've been here awhile

Can anyone explain to me why Rogers is selling the $10 added cellular plan when we purchased the watch? Specifically indicating to me that we can add her watch with the added cellular plan...yikes! As many have previously said seems we have a very expensive watch sitting on our young daughters arm that cannot be used as it was intended. Seems ridiculous to be selling something we can’t use...or it is just me not understanding the why’s and the wherefore...sigh!

paulfielding
I plan to stick around

"Can anyone explain to me why Rogers is selling the $10 added cellular plan when we purchased the watch? Specifically indicating to me that we can add her watch with the added cellular plan...yikes! As many have previously said seems we have a very expensive watch sitting on our young daughters arm that cannot be used as it was intended. Seems ridiculous to be selling something we can’t use...or it is just me not understanding the why’s and the wherefore...sigh!"

Rogers sells a $10/month plan for Apple Watch, but it ties to your cell phone - if you're just trying to add cell capability to your apple watch so you don't have to always have your phone with you (ie the same phone number as your phone), then that's the plan for you.  What Rogers does NOT yet support is having a stand-alone watch plan with a separate phone number from your phone, that can be tied to Apple Family Setup.    This is the missing piece.  if you are paying $10/month for cell capability on a Watch that you are not using because Rogers doesn't yet support Apple Family Setup, if I were you I'd be getting on the phone with Rogers and a) ask them to cancel that service until they support Apple Family Setup, and b) ask them for a refund on the $10/month you've already been paying but unable to use.  You may not get anywhere with b) 🙂 But you for sure should be able to get some where with a).

Blacko
I've been here awhile

Thank you, I intend to...with a very strongly worded comment of disapointment! This is atrocious that in this day and age this capability cannot be added... Totally ticked off with this, not usually a poop disturber but this has gotten to me...first Apple makes it so you cannot have a stand-alone watch, then Rogers makes it so the watch still cannot connect in order for families to use it as intended...grrr! Sliding off my soapbox - for now 😉

Wen1986
I'm here a lot
I wish they would give a timeline on when this will roll out or if they ever will.

aduncan50
I've been here awhile

Hi any update on Rogers and Family Setup for Apple watch?
Just got one for my daughter and didn't realize this issue till today
It's ridiculous that Rogers doesn't have this yet

I have tried as well for my son. They said they have no idea and that they would pass the message along. It’s very frustrating knowing you are paying extra for a top company. You expect the features to be rolled out first. To. It even have an expected roll out date is very frustrating. I have been with Rogers for 20 years and am seriously looking at switching to another provider for this feature for my kids

Christina14
I've been around

Will family setup finally be coming to Rogers? I’ve asked three as recently as today.

If Rogers doesn’t catch up, it will be reason enough for me to switch providers as I just purchased multiple Apple watches with the sole purpose of taking advantage of family set up... only to find out that Rogers doesn’t support it.

Any update on this? Thanks!

Good evening Community!

We certainly appreciate your interest in the Apple Family Setup and realize it would be a really convenient feature.

At this time, we do not have any additional information to share. If we have new info we'll be happy to update the Community :).

Stay tuned!

RogersZia

phil32
I've been around

any update Zia...

seems like a miss on rogers part?

moldyCrow
I plan to stick around

So... @RogersZia, you're turning in to tell us...absolutely nothing? 

Justin204
I've been here awhile

So my wife and I bought our Daughter a cellular enable Apple Watch because she will be walking to school in the fall (apparently), we want her to have a way to reach us and vise versa. In trying to activate the cellular as a stand alone device we ended up going through 2 days of troubleshooting which included 7 calls & 3 trips to local Rogers outlets. All this only to find out that troubleshooting was a total waste of everyone's time because apparently even Rogers employees aren't informed as to how far behind the company is with this feature. 

After coming to the end of this ridiculous experience I escalated to a supervisor and was informed that Rogers has "No plans to roll out Family Set-Up for Apple Watch",  I was told they want everyone to give their children a full on cell phone. Or at least pay for one and keep it in a drawer somewhere, ya know cuz that's super economical for people living in a country where we pay the highest wireless carrier fees in the entire world. LINK

moldyCrow
I plan to stick around
This seems insane to have to do. I got my son the watch plan and it didn't work (we didn't do the workaround because we didn't know...)

In all honesty, Rogers has probably lost my business because of this nonsense.

Justin204
I've been here awhile

The only thing preventing Rogers from adopting Apple Watch Family Set-Up almost a year after it's announcement is choice. They are choosing not to because they want customers to buy and pay for whole cell phones & plans to go with every cellular enable Apple Watch. The Supervisor was very black and white regarding that point.

aduncan50
I've been here awhile

I posted a couple pages back.

I also took the time to inquire about the family watch plan as we bought my daughter a apple watch SE. After 1 phone call it was very apparent that Rogers in fact does not want to encourage this option at all and want you to get your kid a phone or a phone AND the watch if you want to use an apple watch with them.

Bye Rogers. Your greed will have cost you 4 phone lines with new phones and 1 apple watch plan from my family and I.

Cheers everyone. Good luck.

I feel bad for my son for this exact reason. He saved up his money to pay for his own watch with the expectation that he would be able to use it to keep in touch with us while he was at sports practices. I have been with Rogers for over 20 years and am now thinking of switching.