wifi calling on LG G5

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

wifi calling on LG G5

I am a new Rogers customer. Went to the local store and selected the LG G5. Since I have a weak signal back home, I specifically asked about the wifi calling option. I was told I would be able to use this option if the signal is too weak as it switches automatically. I signed up online to wifi calling only to find out that this option is not available for the G5... It would be nice if Rogers informed us on their web site of the limited availablility of this option, based on cell phone type and brand... Is there any plan to have this function working on the G5 in the near future? Is there a list somewhere on the web site showing which cell phones are working with wifi calling?

Thanks

** Edited Labels**

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Re: wifi calling on LG G5

Hi @ld29253,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

The Wi-Fi calling feature is only available for certain devices at this time. We have been working on getting it rolled out to other devices since the release of this option. Stayed tuned to our OS Upgrade Schedule page for updates.

RogersRoland

I've Been Here Awhile

thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate...
I've Been Here Awhile

i use Rogers One Number from the google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Rogers.OneNumber

they've made some changes to it over time, but it does great over wifi. just don't use the text portion if you're outside of canada, it does not recognize travel packs, you will be billed roaming rates for doing this. 

however it does let you call back to canada via wifi w/o charges from rogers. that being said, check who you're connecting to. hotel, cruise ship, etc. they may bill for this.  also be sure to talk to them about making VOIP or skype type calls on their wifi. some block it.

I've Been Around

Any planned date for this facility on G5?

Hello @Coherent,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thanks for reaching out 🙂 I know just how important feature updates are to Android users especially. You guys are always looking to be on the bleeding edge.

I would recommend keeping an eye to our OS Upgrade Schedule. This page will be updated when new features are about to be added to a phones software.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

I bought the LG G5 back at the end of last year, and i choose it because it had the Wifi Calling Feature with Rogers (I live in and area with very erratic cellular service). I went through the process of setting that Feature up Including calls to Rogers. Though now the feature only seems to work Right after i reboot the phone while in Wifi range. If i leave Wifi and return, the wifi calling Feature will not activate. I will have to reboot the phone again. Has anyone else noticed a problem like this. Or, are there people who have the LG G5 and this features works perfectly. If so then i should be able to correct this issue, somehow.

I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Does offer WIFI Calling Feature for the LG G5.

Visit this page: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/wi-fi-calling/9106

I haven't found it to work Flawlessly yet. But it does work well. Sometimes.

Hello, @Coastal

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. I'm assuming your LG G5 is a Rogers' device, what's the default setting on your device? Wi-Fi Preferred or Cellular Network Preferred?

I believe if Cellular Network Preferred is selected, your phone will not switch to Wi-Fi calling when both options are available. 

@Community - Please chime in with your thoughts/expertise on Wi-Fi calling. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersMoin
Thank you for your response.
My phone is set to WiFi preferred because a cellular signal is so sparse around my area. But it still only activates the WiFi calling feature on a reboot. Occasionally if I turn WiFi calling off then back on, but seldom.