cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi calling on LG G5

ld29253
I've been here awhile

I am a new Rogers customer. Went to the local store and selected the LG G5. Since I have a weak signal back home, I specifically asked about the wifi calling option. I was told I would be able to use this option if the signal is too weak as it switches automatically. I signed up online to wifi calling only to find out that this option is not available for the G5... It would be nice if Rogers informed us on their web site of the limited availablility of this option, based on cell phone type and brand... Is there any plan to have this function working on the G5 in the near future? Is there a list somewhere on the web site showing which cell phones are working with wifi calling?

Thanks

** Edited Labels**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: wifi calling on LG G5

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hey guys

Just wanted to make a comment.. I was looking up some sites and seems like we aren't the only ones. Seems like users in the US and in Canada are having issues with WiFi Calling on their G5. It seems to me that it's LG causing this issue.. For what reason? LG won't actually say but I don't think it's Rogers causing this.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

RogersRoland
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @ld29253,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

The Wi-Fi calling feature is only available for certain devices at this time. We have been working on getting it rolled out to other devices since the release of this option. Stayed tuned to our OS Upgrade Schedule page for updates.

RogersRoland

ld29253
I've been here awhile
thank you for your quick reply, I appreciate...

rsmith68
I've been here awhile

i use Rogers One Number from the google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Rogers.OneNumber

they've made some changes to it over time, but it does great over wifi. just don't use the text portion if you're outside of canada, it does not recognize travel packs, you will be billed roaming rates for doing this. 

however it does let you call back to canada via wifi w/o charges from rogers. that being said, check who you're connecting to. hotel, cruise ship, etc. they may bill for this.  also be sure to talk to them about making VOIP or skype type calls on their wifi. some block it.

Coherent
I've been around
Any planned date for this facility on G5?

Hello @Coherent,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thanks for reaching out 🙂 I know just how important feature updates are to Android users especially. You guys are always looking to be on the bleeding edge.

I would recommend keeping an eye to our OS Upgrade Schedule. This page will be updated when new features are about to be added to a phones software.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Coastal
I've been here awhile

I bought the LG G5 back at the end of last year, and i choose it because it had the Wifi Calling Feature with Rogers (I live in and area with very erratic cellular service). I went through the process of setting that Feature up Including calls to Rogers. Though now the feature only seems to work Right after i reboot the phone while in Wifi range. If i leave Wifi and return, the wifi calling Feature will not activate. I will have to reboot the phone again. Has anyone else noticed a problem like this. Or, are there people who have the LG G5 and this features works perfectly. If so then i should be able to correct this issue, somehow.

Coastal
I've been here awhile

Rogers Does offer WIFI Calling Feature for the LG G5.

Visit this page: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/wi-fi-calling/9106

I haven't found it to work Flawlessly yet. But it does work well. Sometimes.

Hello, @Coastal

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Thank you for joining and posting your query in the Community. I'm assuming your LG G5 is a Rogers' device, what's the default setting on your device? Wi-Fi Preferred or Cellular Network Preferred?

I believe if Cellular Network Preferred is selected, your phone will not switch to Wi-Fi calling when both options are available. 

@Community - Please chime in with your thoughts/expertise on Wi-Fi calling. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Coastal
I've been here awhile
@RogersMoin
Thank you for your response.
My phone is set to WiFi preferred because a cellular signal is so sparse around my area. But it still only activates the WiFi calling feature on a reboot. Occasionally if I turn WiFi calling off then back on, but seldom.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

you can try toggling air plane mode on/off or toggle celluar on/off instead of rebooting. Also have you tried different WiFi access points, it could be just your WiFi at home that has problems connecting.

I am having the same problem with my LG G5. I can use wifi calling if I take the sim out, put it in my iphone and switch it back to the LG G5. It works for one call and the the wifi calling greys out, frustrating. It cannot be the phone, it has to do something with the network. Hope a solution is found soon.

@hukerikar is your phone unlocked, or was it purchased directly from Rogers (online or in store)

also the iPhone same question. Technically WiFi calling is only supposed to work on phones sold from Rogers, also Rogers need's the phones IMEI Number on the account for WiFi calling to work.

akinvic
I've been here awhile

Same thing happens to me on my LG G5. Wifi calling enabled only works for 1-2 days max, then it konks out. I'm in Victoria BC and on the eastern edge of the city we often accidentally roam onto US-based towers (San Juan Island might be the closest ones I think) so I'm betting that contributes to it. But enabling then disabling Airplane Mode works every time - better than rebooting for sure.

Hello, All

In most cases when Wi-Fi Calling is preferred and you have access to both the mobile network and Wi-Fi Calling, the device should automatically default to use Wi-Fi Calling provided the Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

If a Rogers' device is not defaulting to Wi-Fi Calling, please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps and we will submit a ticket for you so that the issue can be diagnosed. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

liquidgerg
I've been here awhile

I've been going nuts for the last few months trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with my G5 and the wifi calling turning off all the time. Sometimes it lasts a day, other times it only stays connected for an hour or two. This is getting very frustrating. Please, can we get a solution to this problem. I live and work in areas with limited signal strenghth, so if this can't get resolved, I will have no choice but to switch providers. I want to stay with Rogers, but my phone is becoming unusable.

Good evening @liquidgerg,

Welcome to the Forums & Thanks for your post!

I can only imagine the frustration caused by the Wi-Fi Calling issues you're experiencing.

In order to assist you further, I'd need to know more information:

• Are you currently using a Rogers device or would it be an unlocked LG G5?
  • Has your phone been exchanged under warranty (in the case where yours was defective)?

Also, we'd like you to elaborate on the troubleshooting measures you tried so far.

• Does your phone have the latest OS?
  • Are you experiencing the problem where the toggle turns green when ON  but you get the “Not registered” error message?

I'm hoping we can help you resolve this!

Get back to us when you can. 

RogersMaude

liquidgerg
I've been here awhile
I am using a Rogers device. It is kept up to date, with automatic updates, but even to be sure I manually checked to be sure the OS is current. I haven't had it in for any sort of warranty work. And the enable will remain greyed out sometimes until I either restart my phone, or toggle airplane mode on and off.
Added to that, today I had tried to make a call, the Wi-Fi calling notification was on in the top corner, but it still would only allow for emergency calls. I would try to dial out, and it booted me out saying I couldn't get to the mobile network. This is the first active time that I have noticed a problem with it showing Wi-Fi calling active yet not working, but I have had times in the past where even on Wi-Fi, my texts weren't coming in. So not sure if that's related or not.
I really hope you guys can find a solution. If I can't get this Wi-Fi thing to work properly, I'll have to leave Rogers. I prefer your service over the local Sasktel, but with only 2 towers in this city, I can't justify paying for these phones.😭 Please let me know if you guys find an idea to try.

Hello, @liquidgerg

Thank you for getting back to us with more details on the issue. Occasionally some technical issues can be persistent and annoying, we will definitely do our best finding a solution. 

At the locations, you are trying to use the Wi-Fi Calling feature how is the Wi-Fi connection? Like are you able to browse, stream etc without any issues? In order for Wi-Fi Calling to get triggered the Wi-Fi connection needs to be strong. In your previous post, you've mentioned that Wi-Fi Calling stays on for an hour to a day, this indicates WiFi connection is not stable. When the Wi-Fi Calling turns off, can you check the strength and the speed of your Wi-Fi connection and update us? 

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Watts4845
I've been here awhile
I have the same issue with my LG g5. I think you are not understanding this customer. It is not an issue with his WiFi connection and not with mine either. In fact you provide my home internet. The issue is that the WiFi calling works after we turn off the phone or disconnect it from the Rogers cell networks and then reconnect. WiFi calling then turns on works for a little while then for no reason will not turn on again. This meaning the option is selected and says it is turned on but the icon will not show up on our task bar at the top of the screen and we get no texts or calls because it is not connecting

Watts4845
I've been here awhile
Also in response my WiFi is well over 100 mb/s and since rogers provides it, it is pretty consistent. It very rarely drops under 100megs it's usually closer to 125-140 range
Topic Stats