text message every time I get a voicemail

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: text message every time I get a voicemail

Hey @andmalc22 

you’re on the right path on how the voicemail notification system works, except a few things. Figured I’d provide my info in case you were interested. Correct, Rogers Standard Voicemail aka Mini Voicemail uses a system where what’s called a "secret sms" is sent to the device to trigger the indicator. One thing i want to point out is that if you have standard voicemail aka mini voicemail on an iPhone you will notice you don't get that message android users get in their inbox "Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent". The Apple OS takes these "secret sms's" into consideration and filters it’s out of the text inbox because users are already going to get the red notification(So do other devices just can’t think of them off the top of my head). Secret sms has been around for a while and can be used for various functions on the network. So personally i don’t feel like the system is old or out dated guess when the manufacturers who use android designed the OS for our network they chose not to filter out that message others secret sms’s are filtered out just not that one. that’s just my personal opinion

In terms of visual voicemail Rogers has two versions one compatible with all devices and Apple's Visual Voicemail for iPhone.

Rogers Premium Voicemail-to-Text(All Devices): This package uses a system were a transcription of the message(sms) and an audio file(mms) with the voicemail message is sent to text message inbox and this serves as the "notification"

Apple has their own version of visual voicemail for the iPhone i know that system runs over the Data network (3G,LTE) and has its own notification system as well. I just don’t know the exact technical detail on how apple visual voicemail operates over the network probably uses secret sms as well and mms as well.

Melanthia
I've Been Here Awhile

This is a Rogers issue and not an Android one.  I have the exact same phone (Galaxy S4) as a personal phone but with TELUS and I do not receive these irritating texts when I get voicemails.  I only get the little voicemail icon in the tray.  My work phone which is also an S4 but set up through Rogers, gets the text message every time, simultaneously with the icon showing up on the phone.  A redundant and useless feature unless it was visual texting.

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Sorry to correct you there but it isn't a ROGERS issue at all. I know because my phone is currently through another provider, and I have an Android, and guess what? I guess the text message notification every time someone leaves me a voicemail.

Melanthia
I've Been Here Awhile

That may be the case, in that it is not exclusive to Rogers, but TELUS has obviously figured out how to provide voicemails with out redundant notifications so it can be done.  If other carriers do the same I am unaware as I never had that with Bell either, but now there are more carriers.  So glad it's my work phone only.

lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Personally I don't really see it as a big problem. But I suppose that is just me. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @locksown2341

If you read about this, u will see Telus has found a way to fix this and Rogers hasn't. So thus it is a Rogers issue if Rogers as a company hasn't committed to fixing this like Telus has.

I took this off and so did my family as it was annoying and also no reason for it as my phones always tell me if I have a vm
lockdown2341
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

My phone is currently with Bell and I experience the same "issue". Not sure what Telus is doing that is any different then Rogers or Bell. Pretty sure my wife's phone through Virgin Mobile also gets a text when a voicemail comes in, but I can't be sure.

lackoftalent
I Plan to Stick Around

personally i get this too but i like this idea and have no problem with it

DiGold
I've Been Around

go into text settings > spam filter>add spam phrases>type in voicemail

DONE!!!!

thegregdoyle
I've Been Around