text message every time I get a voicemail

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

text message every time I get a voicemail

I can't figure out how to turn this off, but every single time I get left a voicemail, i get a text message acting like its from that person saying: Voicemail 1 new 0 urgent. I can't figure out how to turn it off, its redundent since I get a notification in the notification tray. talking to tech support, didn't help they just said send the phone in for repair. its not broken

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: text message every time I get a voicemail

Hello Jay21317

Is not a phone feature, it's a feature Rogers added when you added your voice mail package. I don't know why the agent would say that but they are way wrong.
I Plan to Stick Around

is their anyway to turn this off, its redundent and really not needed.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Jay21317

You need to contact Rogers and have them remove that code from the voicemail package you have. There is no other way to remove it.
I Plan to Stick Around

finally talked to someone about this issue, that knew what it was. they checked and said I shouldn't be getting these at all since I don't have that feature, the ywent ahead and removed my voicemail and readded it, and its still doing it. on the plus side I did get extra minutes added to my phone since they couldn't remove it, and all they could suggest was upgrading or sending the phone in for repair.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Jay21317 

Unfortunately upgrading or sending your phone into repair won't do anything. I know this as i upgraded to all the devices Rogers has and i am getting those mesaages. Those mesaages are coded into the voicemail plan u have. If u have a value pack with voicemail that explains a bit of it.  The rep u are speaking to have no clue what they are saying or know the information.  Here are some threads about it from years ago.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/8599?device-vi...

I Plan to Stick Around

Call your voice mail and shut off notifications and the text will stop. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rboeglelrs

That will turn off every other notification for voicemail as well. So then the customer won't see there is a voicemail. I just tried it on my G3 and iPhone 6 and didn't show i got a voicemail when i left one. The only way I knew is when I called my voicemail.
Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Hi @jay21317, if you are using an Android device, this is how the device software is designed.

In order to stop this you would turn off the Voicemail Notification in the personal options of your Voicemail. Also to echo as previously stated, you then would not receive a notification at all for the Voicemail. I have sent you a PM if you would like to discuss further.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've had three Android phones on Rogers and as far as I can recall I've always got the extra text with a voicemail.

Googled this a bit without seeing much discussion of the issue which leads me to think this is a Rogers problem, and think I understand what the problem is:  Rogers standard voicemail uses an old system where an SMS was sent to the phone to trigger the voicemail waiting indicator.  The old phones wouldn't display the SMS, it was hidden from the user.  Visual Voicemail is an updated system compatible with modern phones and I'm guessing is standard with most wireless carriers.  I don't know if it still uses SMS behind the scenes but in any case doesn't show the texts.

So AFAICT instead of updating its already pricey but outdated standard voicemail mail to be compatible with modern phones, Rogers sells Visual Voice as a premium feature.  I realize Rogers is a business and needs its revenue but the decent thing to do would have been to make Visual Voicemail standard and the old type a budget option.