"GPS signal lost" on Samsung Galaxy Note 4 after Lollipop 5.0.1 update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

"GPS signal lost" on Samsung Galaxy Note 4 after Lollipop 5.0.1 update

Since the update to Android 5.0.1 my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 has trouble locking onto GPS. When navigating in the car I hear the message "GPS signal lost" every couple of minutes. It seems to spend most of the time not knowing where it is. This happens in all places - open countryside as well as towns - and it makes no difference where the phone is in the car.

When I'm tracking my cycling with S-Health it also has trouble, and sometimes cannot tell what route I took.

On the home screen I often see the flashing "searching for GPS" indicator.

It seems there is now a general problem with finding a GPS lock, which seems to have arisen with the Lollipop 5.0.1 update. Before the update I did not have these problems, so it seems to be a software issue rather than a hardware one.

This is further confirmed by the GPS Test app (from the Play Store). This app tells me it can see 22 satellites, yet the phone still cannot get a fix on its position. So the signal reception seems fine, but something about processing it to get a fix is broken.

So, has the 5.0.1 update broken the GPS on this phone? Are others here experiencing the same problem? Will we receive a patch to fix it?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersAmanda
Retired Moderator

Re: "GPS signal lost" on Samsung Galaxy Note 4 after Lollipop 5.0.1 update

Hi @Richard999

I am also currently using the Note 4 on Lollipop. I have never received the “GPS signal lost” when using Google Maps, though I did notice that it takes longer to locate my position when on the go (in the car and on a bike).

Setting your phone location services mode to high accuracy will give it the best chance of a solid location information. This will use more battery, but will utilize all available wireless networks to get the best possible signal.

1. Go to Settings > Location and make sure that Location services are switched On
  2. Under the Location Sources category, tap Mode and make sure it's set to High accuracy.

Please let us know if this makes a difference while you are on the go!

Thanks,

RogersAmanda

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your advice. I already have the location mode set to "High accuracy", and this doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Edit: Maybe the problem is poor reception - although the phone was seeing 22 satellites it could not get a lock until I stood outside holding the phone up for a few minutes. Eventually it did lock on to some satellites.

While testing I also calibrated the phone's magnetic compass (which was showing itself to be uncalibrated). This may also have helped. See the instructions here: http://helpdesk.metaio.com/questions/37548/magnetic-compass-galaxy-note-4-calibration

Retired Moderator RogersAmanda
Retired Moderator

Hi @Richard999,

Thanks for sharing this one, didn't know we had to calibrate this on our phone. I've mostly been inside the city lately, I will try this out when I'm out in the mountains cycling this weekend. Hopefully both these settings would make it a more stable device.

So far, I love everything about this phone.

Don't want to swap for a different device for this reason - ever.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am on the Note 3 and since the OS update have lost use of my GPS. I have tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8jNb38gaY and http://helpdesk.metaio.com/questions/37548/magnetic-compass-galaxy-note-4-calibration and neither have fixed the problem.

Anyone try anything that has made a difference?

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @zeidel

I have a Note 3 and my GPS is working.

I had to update my Google Maps app and there was delay on device finding my location because i haven't used the application in a while.

I would recommended ensuring your app is updated, then follow these steps:

1. Open Google Maps
  2. Use the my location button
  3. Wait a few minutes until your location is found
  4. Close the app and test

If the GPS is still not working after these steps we may need to troubleshoot further.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, but Google Maps does not detect my location.

Any other suggestions?

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hello @zeidel

I just tested mine to make sure it still working and everything appeared ok.

Have you verified your location settings are ok? Also when you press the location button on the screen does the icon show up on the status bar?

At this point, i would recommended performing a backup using Samsung Kies. After, factory reset your phone from the settings and test the GPS with the device at its factory default state.

If the GPS is still not functioning and the device is under warranty i would recommended taking it to a local Rogers store.

I read a blog on common fixes for issues after the lollipop update, such as trying to wipe the cache partition on the device and also entering a specific code in the device to access alternative settings. You could try this at your own risk.

Let the Community know what happens after.

RogersAsif

I've Been Around

Yes, I have been having the same problem with my Note 4 (Verizon) since the Lollipop update. I have had the phone replaced once already thru my carrier's warranty for the same problem. It seems that it's a software problem that nobody will acknowledge.

I've tried everything I can think of: removing the battery, SIM card, and MicroSD card, booting it in Safe Mode, FDR. Used GPS Essentials and GPS Status applications. Nothing has helped or improved the performance of the GPS/Location Services.

I've been speaking to Verizon and Samsung pretty heavily about this lately. It seems that neither of the companies have enough "like reproducible cases" documented in order to consider it a "known issue". But it obvioiusly is a known issue, just not among the right people. And if it's not known among the right people, there will never be a fix for it.

Yesterday, I spent a decent amount of time chatting with a Verizon agent in order to get this issue formally sent up to a network board so that MAYBE it will get someone's attention. My suggestion to anyone who's having this problem with their Note 4's or 3's is to take a bit of time to get your complaint or problem formally filed.