not able to send or receive picture messages?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Big_dog
I've Been Around

not able to send or receive picture messages?

I recently picked up the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2x and a voice plan with no data which included unlimited text, picture and video messaging. When I try to send or receive pictures, I am not able to do so.  I called in to Rogers and was told that I must have data with this phone in order for the picture messages to work, otherwise, I would be charged for each kilobyte or whatever unit it is used for each picture sent or received. Does this make sense to anyone? Why would they offer this feature as part of this plan if it would cost me more for each picture sent or received? ANyone else run into this problem? or know how to get it to work without data as my sister has who owns  a blackberry? Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: not able to send or receive picture messages?

Hello Big-dog

Yes it does make sense. In order to send or receive pictures or videos, you will need to have a Rogers data plan for this. All carriers do this. You do not get charged data but the pictures & videos need data to download on your phone. The plan includes that you get unlimited pictures & video messages but need data for this to work.

**Update** 

You do not need a data plan to send the MMS, all you need is the mobile data enabled on the phone. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersAlicia
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Anyone here with some advice on this ? 🙂

RogersAlicia

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Big-dog

Yes it does make sense. In order to send or receive pictures or videos, you will need to have a Rogers data plan for this. All carriers do this. You do not get charged data but the pictures & videos need data to download on your phone. The plan includes that you get unlimited pictures & video messages but need data for this to work.

**Update** 

You do not need a data plan to send the MMS, all you need is the mobile data enabled on the phone. 

View solution in original post

sam_15
I Plan to Stick Around

Dear Big-dog,

Expanding on what Meowmix's comment. You can apps that you can send pictures over WiFi. Apps like WhatsApp may suit your needs, but these apps requires the sender and receiver to have the same app.
LIAK
I've Been Around

My sister got a new iphone4 yesterday and i have a samsung S4  she can't receive my pictures, she can't send them to me..is there something she has to change on her phone? i can send to other ppl that have iphones

any help would be appreciated  

TY 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello LIAK

Does she have iMessega turned on? Sometimes this can happen. The other option is to contact Rogers & see if the account has picture, video messaging included.
VeganMan
I'm Here A Lot

data needs to be turned on
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello VeganMan

The OP hasn't replied back which i assume they got it working but most of the times u need to have the Picture, video messages on your plan and data as well. Also do remember, on a iPhone you have iMessage which will cause this to happen.  I have occurred it my self and so many others have.  

Adams40502
I've Been Around

Why offer the ability to send pictures as a feature and not provide the service. No mention is made that you need a data plan. Smells like fraud.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Adams40502\

It all depends. Some carriers need to have you use data when sending out a picture or video text message. Everytime i send out a picture text i use data ( which is included into my package.)