cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not able to send or receive picture messages?

Big_dog
I've been around

I recently picked up the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2x and a voice plan with no data which included unlimited text, picture and video messaging. When I try to send or receive pictures, I am not able to do so.  I called in to Rogers and was told that I must have data with this phone in order for the picture messages to work, otherwise, I would be charged for each kilobyte or whatever unit it is used for each picture sent or received. Does this make sense to anyone? Why would they offer this feature as part of this plan if it would cost me more for each picture sent or received? ANyone else run into this problem? or know how to get it to work without data as my sister has who owns  a blackberry? Thanks.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: not able to send or receive picture messages?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello Big-dog

Yes it does make sense. In order to send or receive pictures or videos, you will need to have a Rogers data plan for this. All carriers do this. You do not get charged data but the pictures & videos need data to download on your phone. The plan includes that you get unlimited pictures & video messages but need data for this to work.

**Update** 

You do not need a data plan to send the MMS, all you need is the mobile data enabled on the phone. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RogersAlicia
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Anyone here with some advice on this ? 🙂

RogersAlicia

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello Big-dog

Yes it does make sense. In order to send or receive pictures or videos, you will need to have a Rogers data plan for this. All carriers do this. You do not get charged data but the pictures & videos need data to download on your phone. The plan includes that you get unlimited pictures & video messages but need data for this to work.

**Update** 

You do not need a data plan to send the MMS, all you need is the mobile data enabled on the phone. 

sam_15
I plan to stick around
Dear Big-dog,

Expanding on what Meowmix's comment. You can apps that you can send pictures over WiFi. Apps like WhatsApp may suit your needs, but these apps requires the sender and receiver to have the same app.

LIAK
I've been around

My sister got a new iphone4 yesterday and i have a samsung S4  she can't receive my pictures, she can't send them to me..is there something she has to change on her phone? i can send to other ppl that have iphones

any help would be appreciated  

TY 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello LIAK

Does she have iMessega turned on? Sometimes this can happen. The other option is to contact Rogers & see if the account has picture, video messaging included.

data needs to be turned on

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello VeganMan

The OP hasn't replied back which i assume they got it working but most of the times u need to have the Picture, video messages on your plan and data as well. Also do remember, on a iPhone you have iMessage which will cause this to happen.  I have occurred it my self and so many others have.  

Adams40502
I've been around
Why offer the ability to send pictures as a feature and not provide the service. No mention is made that you need a data plan. Smells like fraud.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello Adams40502\

It all depends. Some carriers need to have you use data when sending out a picture or video text message. Everytime i send out a picture text i use data ( which is included into my package.)

amartens
I've been around

i have had my phone for over a year, blackberry q5, and had this problem start a few weeks ago. after reading the solution i checked my data settings. it was on, so i turned it off and then back on and then it worked again. all i have is a talk and text plan so try doing that if you still have issues

mobilesupport1
I plan to stick around

Which app you are using when you are sending pictures on internet you need data plan. If you are sharing it on wifi then there is no issue even you can find open wifi network and you can send your picture. and you can also use whatsapp facebook or email for picture sharing or google drive for that.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @mobilesupport1

I don't this the user looks on the forums anymore as it's been 2 year since they posted..

That being said. That is correct, u need a data plan in order to do MMS but u have other options such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, BBM, email, Dropbox, Google drive and more!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Clarification - one does not have to have data for MMS - it has to be turned on.  Depends upon what plan you have - our plans have always had text, plus picture/video messenging included, but no data.  Prior to BB going with BB10, it ran across BBM data plan and data did not have to be turned on.  Now it runs over dedicated data stream with no charge as long as it is on your plan.

Be careful to enquire when you read text messenging whether it includes MMS, or more specifically, ask about picture/video.

So to summarize you have to have MMS on your plan - not all plans have it, and in some cases, it is limited numbers (not unlimited - be sure to ask specifically and double check when it is activated, and you have to have data turned on.

If on limited data plans like we do with 500 mb on one phone, we leave data turned off, but you need to turn it on to send the message - it doesn't use data from your plan though - then we turn it back off again. If a message comes with a MMS and data is turned off, you will see a graphic button to download - turn the data on.

Hope that clarifies.  - things have changed over the last couple of years on how it works.

Bruce

DaveT2
I've been around

Does this mean that I can send a picture message using wifi as long as my cellular data is turned on ?

i do not have a data plan

or will I get a bill for data usage ?

thanks !

Greetings @DaveT2!

Welcome to our Community!

In this case, you cannot send via WiFi. Your Android phone can only send a picture message using a data connection. If you're connected to WiFi, it would not send via WiFi, but via our data network. This would not charge you for data usage however, depending upon your plan, you may be charged to send the MMS.

The important part here is to make sure your data is turned on in your device settings, regardless of whether or not you have a data plan. If you disable data from your settings, our network will not be able to send your picture message out.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 12 in conversation