mobile network not available

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

mobile network not available

I got the message "mobile network not available" recently on my android phone. 

I contacted Support to figure out if there was a network problem.   They suggested turning the phone on and off and they did a reset. When that didn't work, they suggested a system restore.

Information was sent to Backup and Restore Samsung Devices Using Samsung Kies, and then information on Perform Factory Reset on Android OS 4.2.

Well, don't do that as the next step. Try this first.... Shut off the phone. Take out your sim card and use a pencil eraser or ordinary eraser to clean the contacts.  Then put it back in and start it up again.   It worked for me and saved a lot of effort.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: mobile network not available

Hi @User14

Thank you for your post!

That’s a great troubleshooting tip to try before going through the backing up and restoring device route. 

Thanks!

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

The eraser trick is a pretty old one @User14
I wonder if you learned that from older electronics?
It definitely removes any grime or corrosion from metal contacts (I use the eraser in Car to clear up old connectors).

If your data doesn't connect, witht that error, it's usually because the phone isn't even responding back to the tower's request.

I think removing the sim card alone (discharging it) resolved your issue!

Great Tip though! (I wonder how many phone users are comfortable doing that, without damaging the metal prongs). Steady hands needed! lol
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Don't go overboard with the eraser. Once you remove the gold plating, the contacts will tarnish a lot quicker. Just rubbing the contacts with a clean cloth or paper towel ought to do the trick.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Yea, the only time i user Eraser, is in my car because i can see the corosion on the connectors. Never used it on a phone (never needed to) - Corosion on a phone just means it went for swimming and that would probably have more issues than just sim not being read lol

If eraser is used a lot, you can practically erase the phone out of existance (making a really bad joke here)
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thanks for the tip but it didn't work for me, I took out battery and sim card 2 times and inserted them back but nothing happened. Found here that it can happen because of weak signal strenght, and turned on roaming as per the guide and it's working fine now.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Mobile network not found is a common error but it can be fixed by follwing the various solutions mentioned here.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, help!

ok, new cell broken. replace with old one, it died, so i bought a cheap smart phone.

went to rogers yesterday and got hooked up with a new SIM and the clerk telephoned me, i answered, all good.

Get home, can't access phone calls on the new one. it says "cellular network not available" This has never happened before.

it has something called truecaller on it, do i have to do something? i have tried settings but don't see anything. really, i just want to make and receive phone calls. that's it. HELP 🙂

now, not sure if this is a related issue or due to something else but i am online at myrogers trying to CHAT the support. i hit the but, pop up screen comes up but that's it. No convo can be made or received! are they 'busy"

Highlighted

Hello, @chicksdiggrush

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I appreciate posting your concern in the Community. Unable to make/receive phone calls can surely be inconvenient, are you still experiencing the issue? Most of the times errors like "Cellular network not available" can be resolved by simply restarting the phone, have you tried restarting the phone?

Please also let us know the make and model of the phone so that we can look into an appropriate solution.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

i eventually found that i had to re-assign a network. You are correct i did restart the phone.

i still cant figure out why i was able to receive a call the night before though.

thanks again