iMessage type App for Android

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

iMessage type App for Android

Hi!

I'm wondering if there is an app for android like Apples iMessage. I'm not too concerned about the messages over data feature, but the ability to receive messages on multiple devices at once. I have a Galaxy S3 (soon S4) and a Samsung Tab (no-sim) that I would like to be able to receive and reply to messages on like I could do with my iPhone and iPad3 using iMessage. If anyone knows of an app that can do this, it would be great if you could share the name. Would be even better if there was a version of the same app that also works on iOS so I can receive messages on all my devices.

Thanks!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: iMessage type App for Android

Hello nitroburn

iMessenger and BBM are the only apps but those are only for Apple and Blackberry. You have Whatsapp, hookt and a few other apps which are for all platforms. Check them out
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Google Talk or Facebook Messenger are available pretty much everywhere (phone, tablet, web).
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i second google talk.   if u have a google phone u will need to setup a google email, so u will automatically have one,  plus all blackberies have the google talk shortcut, though not always installed, most blackberry have access to it,  as for iphones, they have to install it in the i tunes store i mean app store

I'm Here A Lot

I should clarify, I am wanting to receive SMS/MMS across all the devices. Are you able to setup Google Talk/WhatsApp in such a way that it would share the received text message across devices without the other person having to use a seperate app? Previously both me and my wife, for example, used iPhones, so if she messaged me I could recieve it on my tablet and phone.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello nitroburn

Whatsapp can be installed on any platform Android, IOS, Blackberry & Windows phones. If she downloads that on her iPhone & you instal in on yours, you can use the app like how iMessage is. You will be charged for data tho AS it uses data just like iMessager does.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

There is no official iPhone app for Google Talk (and third-party apps don't work very well).

Facebook Messenger (or Google+ Messenger) works on Android, iPhone...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Gosh I realize this is an old post, but there is new light at the end of the tunnel. Download Google Messenger, and wait for the enhanced features popup. they  will give you typing indicators and messages sent over wifi.  

I Plan to Stick Around

google messenger with the new enhancement coming out doesn't work for nitroburn. Google Messenger won't let you receive messages on multiple platform and multiple devices. it'll still be restricted to one device.
sadly there isn't SMS/MMS app that allows you to receive on multiple devices on android

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @capt_raider

Agreed. It's not like iMessage where you can do it all on imac, macbook, iPhone, ipad and iPod. This is only on one device that's all.

Its great to see it though and soon I hope they start this.