Z3 Lollipop

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Z3 Lollipop

No expected dates now!

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the advice on installing apps to the microSD card in Lollipop, I'm glad to hear that.

What would make me happier though is if I got the bloody update!?? Where is it? Sorry but this is pathetic, dates have changed a few times now. A flagship phone is being treated like a budget phone. Seriously considering flashing it myself if this is the way Rogers wants to continue treating customers.

I'm Here A Lot

I can't believe the word rogers covers up the message notification icons on the lock screen! (top left) I sincerely hope this is addressed asap. Since the update I can't see if I have email, and, WhatsApp etc messages waiting for me without unlocking the phone. What a major step back, and to be covered up with the Rogers name... Why not put Rogers in an unused space, not where notification icons go! Kitkat didn't have this problem as the Rogers logo was on the settings drop down. Would love to hear some feedback from Rogers regarding this issue...
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Kevn

This isn't a issue.. This is something most carriers did. Also i don't have a issue with this seeing as on the lock screen u can see ur messages in the middle of the screen. If u remove that option then yes u won't get it due to the locking system on Lollipop for the Z3. My unlocked z3 does the same for Bell and Telus and Fido as i have tested them all.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply. I understand it's not exclusive to Rogers and see it on most Canadian and American carriers. It may not be an issue for you, as we all have our own preferences. I however do not want an iPhone-style lock screen (another reason I switched to Android) and don't want to see the big messages on the lock screen. Seeing only the small notification icons at the top was perfect as I'd know whether or not to unlock the phone to check an email/sms/whatsapp, etc message.

I've fiddled with the lockscreen notification settings in lollipop and can't seem to find a workaround to get back to more kitkat like behavior. The only thing I've been able to do is set all message apps to Sensitive so they don't show content in the middle-screen messages, and keep music players, etc to normal so you still get lock-screen player controls. It's kind of clunky and not nearly as minimal and convienient as before.

You must admit, it's an odd location choice for the carrier banner to be covering up system notifications. I can't remember any phone in the past where the carrier banner was overlayed on top of actual useful data.

Do you have any suggestions I may have missed to try to get back to something similar to old lock screen behavior? The only thing I've found on forums is to root the phone which I would never do for various reasons.

Thanks again for your help.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

the update says on the fourm page that lists the "estimated times" for updates to OS that Lollipop has rolled out. 

i have gone to both the PC Comapnion Sonys website and Rogers website, i have also called in to tech support.

roll out the update already, it was available 30+ days ago now to general public, i dont want to have to unlock and root my phone just to get this update.  please make this happen asap!

I've Been Around

Support, can we have a true ETA on the availability of the lollipop update for the Xperia Z3? It is been a while since the official update is available for non branded (Rogers or Bell) version of the phone and it should be easy to get it... Especially for security reasons. And anyway an OS should not be touched by the carrier... The carrier should make its applications available inside the google play store like any other companies...
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello gducatel

You won't get a actual ETA.. Do remember that they do have notited that the OS Upgrade Schedule may change at any time. So it all depends when Sony actually sent the update, from the Rogers development team checking it, testing it and see if there is any issues. I know u guys think it's easy but coming from someone that knows about OS's and such, if there isn't something working properly then it won't be sent out until it's fixed. They work with Sony to do this. Also i am pretty sure on Sundays they have off so sometimes they do have days off and including Good Friday and Easter Sunday count as well.

Either way we should be expecting a release mid April for sure.
I've Been Around

I don't have much to add except that I'm getting really impatient over this and am considering unlocking my phone in order to get the update already. Anyone have any insight to what the actual downsides are of unlocking your phone (other than the usual "It voids your warrantee" stuff)?

I've Been Here Awhile

Now the date on the OS Upgrades page says "Coming Soon!" for the Xperia Z3......pathetic.

It doesn't matter if you "dont know much about OS's and such", this kind of work cycle going on with the carrier testing team is inefficient and lazy.

I understand each company has ridiculous policies and procedures that can hinder release dates for something like this, but this is getting stupid now and it seems to consistently stay that way across the board. It's no wonder people turn to flashing and modding their devices.

Sincerely,

User Running out of patience