cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge support VoLTE, WiFi calling

jackthecompguy
I'm a regular

Title says it all. What is the stance on the newest Samsung flagships supporting VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling?

*** Edited Labels ***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Will the Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge support VoLTE, WiFi calling

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @dreamer_cast

As mentioned in the link posted above. The update will have security updates and bug fixes. Doesn't mention anything about WiFi Calling but should be a feature that will come soon. Also the 6.0.1 while it's already on the S7, there is a small update coming.

Hua
I plan to stick around

I am confused.... the upgrade schedule in the link below suggests that S7 Edge is still on 6.0. not 6.0.1, but the post here seems to suggest that S7 Edge already get 6.0.1, which one is right?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/OSUpgrades/thread-id/1

Also, I am new to Samsung phones and have heard horrible stories about how slow Samsung phones get updates through carrier... if getting them at all in the life time. How do you guys get updates through Rogers? I read from somewhere that this year Samsung has made it an priority for them to work with carriers to update their devices. Do you guys see any improvements?

Appreciated!

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @Hua

Its a newer update of the 6.0.1. That's why they have posted that update. Yes the S7 and S7 edge have, 6.0.1 but the update will be small and won't change the numbers.

As for the the updates. That is correct. Samsung, HTC, Sony get all those updates from the carriers. The updates will be pushed by them once the stages of testing then are done. No one knows how long that can take as it can take weeks and months. Barely any improvements have been done. But slowly.

kavkaz
I plan to stick around

July and still no volte on unlocked phones. very sad day for Rogers. so we really need to complain so much to get a basic feature?

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @kavkaz

I do believe they have the rights to block certain things and only use them on their branded devices until it's all set and done and when they decide to release it, it will.. Same happens with Bell and Telus I believe. I noticed this has happened with the iPhone 6S as well. Not really understanding why though. It makes no deference.

thesaint
I've been here awhile

Just got the S7 update and now have Wifi calling!!! Finally and about time.

Works as advertised!  FWIW I got the S7 solely for Wifi calling and to get rid of the terrible S6 Edge that I had previously.  The Edge feature is more of an annoyance, and I do everything possible to dissuade people from buying an 'Edge' phone.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @thesaint

Well sadly Samsung has said that all their devices that they will make from the Galaxy S and Note line will feature the Iris scanner and edge feature now. They will start this as of next year. They will get rid of the standard model.

That is good that u got the update and it works well!!!

thesaint
I've been here awhile

That hurts me to know that the EDGE feature will be a permanent feature.

When this phone becomes obsolete/annoys me, then I will have to switch to a non SAMSUNG device 😞

But yes, Wifi calling rocks.

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor

Hello @thesaint

Sadly that is how the cookie crumbles 😞

AS for the update, great to see everyone is getting it and enjoying it!

Dx9
I'm a reliable contributor

Just wondering if anyone is having problems actually receiving a picture when Wifi Calling is enabled. I can send Pics no problem but when receiving on the stock messaging app it just says downloading. I turn off wifi and the pic then appears.

Hua
I plan to stick around

@Dx9 I did a quick try with my friends and found I have the same problem. When WiFi calling is on, I can't send or receive MMS. I had to turn it off to make it work.

A little off topic here... anyone have any idea if we will get Android N update from Rogers? Just curious.

Dx9

So again I'm having a problem with VOLTE and Wifi Calling on my S7 Edge. Both don't work as of yesterday and have had the phone almost 2 weeks now. Same thing happened to my Note 7 a week after I got it. Stopped working and only way to get it working again was a Factory Reset. Can't be doing this every week. Rogers Tech support couldn't fix the issue on their end anyways.

cstl3722
I plan to stick around

@Dx9 wrote:
So again I'm having a problem with VOLTE and Wifi Calling on my S7 Edge. Both don't work as of yesterday and have had the phone almost 2 weeks now. Same thing happened to my Note 7 a week after I got it. Stopped working and only way to get it working again was a Factory Reset. Can't be doing this every week. Rogers Tech support couldn't fix the issue on their end anyways.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing... I've done 3-4 factory reset since last month... I realized that while I will not restart my S7 wifi calling and VoLTE calls work great but after the first reboot everything stop working and as you know we can't count on the great support of Rogers techs ... they don't even know the difference between NFC chip in the SIM card to pay with my bank application and the NFC onbard the phone..

Dx9

Yeah once again mine has been fine. Even with Wi-Fi Calling enabled I wasn't able to receive Pics. Would just say downloading. Would never come in till I turned Wi-Fi Calling off. So I was always thinking it wasn't working properly. Then I realized I was getting pics at home with it enabled. Next day back at work and not receiving pics once again. So Wi-Fi calling dependent of some ports for sure on the router. I don't feel like troubleshooting at work with the router but does work at friends places and my home. Think the static setting instead of DHCP is conflicting with something.

dortenz
I've been here awhile

Can you by any chance those 2 APN settings. mine dont seem to show up

Valsimots
I've been here awhile

I have the Samsung S7 Edge. Wifi calling is enabled and registered. Works flawless on public wifi connections, but not at home where I need it most (mobile signal is very weak).

I have a secure firewall setup. What ports are required to use wifi calling?

steveburke23
I plan to stick around

I dont know what open ports but you MUST have a strong wifi connection for wifi calling to work and not all wireless routers are capable of wifi calling.

Valsimots
I've been here awhile
The requirement is 802.11ac which I have. Signal strength is impeccable.

Dx9
Make sure ports 500 and 4400 are open for wifi calling

Valsimots
I've been here awhile
Assuming UDP?

Valsimots
I've been here awhile
No change after opening up 4500 and 500 UDP. But did find an article elsewhere here in the forums (can't find the link again) that mentioned IPSEC Passthrough needed to be enabled. That solved the issue!
Topic Stats