Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

Hello, @daniel10

I appreciate your interest in having the RCS supported on the native (Samsung) Messages app. At the moment, we are unable to comment on the service which we don't currently offer. Please stay tuned we will update the Community as the information becomes available. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

From what I've read about RCS, Samsung's stock texting app is supposed to be inter-operable with Android Messages as they both support whats called the RCS "Universal Profile".

The Universal Profile is what Google is pushing and gaining traction with. Prior to the RCS UP, some carriers had and still have RCS but it isn't compatible with other RCS servers.

I'm pretty sure in the RCS whitepaper they mention Samsung's app client uses the UP.

Down the road / in the future, I have to imagine that other app makers will adopt RCS into their apps.

Features that Viber or WeChat or Textra have that are unique to their ecosystems will be coded into the RCS Universal Profile (server software), and any other app maker/competitor that wants to support those features can add them into their apps (client software).

Features such as 'stickers' and deleting messages sent as a mistake and 'Snaps' like what Snapchat does.

The whole benefit to the RCS UP is to get the carriers (Rogers/Bell/Telus) involved in Internet chatting... SMS/MMS is limited and not preferred these days. The bonus is that if someone you Chat with doesn't have a UP client app on their device (iPhone), then a regular SMS is sent in place of the RCS Chat message.

Google Hangouts did all of this and some more (with Google Voice in the USA) but was limited as it could not send SMS/MMS.

I Plan to Stick Around

https://www.sammobile.com/2018/09/12/samsung-google-collaboration-rcs-messaging

Since Samsung is confriming that there message app will work with google andriod messages and RCS does that mean Roger's will support it as well? Bel already supports Samsung messages.

Hello, @daniel10.

It's certainly a good news for those who love the Samsung Messages app. We don't have any new information to share about supporting RCS with the Samsung Messages yet. As always please stay tuned we will gladly share any updates. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is very interesting to hear. I have the samsung default messaging app with rcs and i know 4 other friends who also have newer samsungs with rcs capabilities and we all see the benefits of RCS between each other. I have ONE friend who is on Rogers wireless and works for them too and uses Android Messenger and i could send him rcs messages when i was a customer on Rogers / Fido but now i can not send him RCS messages because there still must be a compatibility issue between the other carriers like Bell and Telus aka Bellus between Rogers and Fido aka Fidogers.

So until I see the ability to send an RCS to my friend Roger who is using Rogers and works for Rogers then I will believe it. Right now there is still no RCS between Samsung Rcs and android messenger on different carriers yet. I will keep u guys informed when it works

I've Been Around

Didn't work for me   Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

It's been a while, and still only bell supports Samsung messenger for the RCS service. I'm hoping Rogers will get on board soon!!