Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Will Rogers support RCS enhanced Messaging?

RCS is good. I'm coming from an iPhone so it's much better than regular SMS for sure we had before on Android. Hopefully it gets adopted much more. Only problem is that 80% of my contacts are iOS users and I have 2 buddies with Androids on Rogers that use RCS. So it's nice to see "Sent, delivered, read " etc. Pics come in nice and clear. Hope Telus and Bell adopt at some point.
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to follow, I have no one on Rogers or Fido on Android to test RCS with 😞
I'm a Senior Advisor

That is the major issue with RCS at the moment - even in the states, they are not getting a full commitment by all carriers to support the protocol.

The reality, is there is a real race going on right now between android with RCS, Facebook messenger to become the unified integrated app that runs all of our connections to SMS, calling, video calling, and putting all communications into one spot.

Until carriers start stepping up and saying who they will support, we are going to be running into this issue.

I have the same point,  my wife and I have Rogers, while all our children and many relatives are not on Rogers.  And to make things more complicated, one side of my family are pure iPhone users, and it is hard enough getting to agree to set up their iMessages to make SMS available for use, so we often can't communicate to them, and they use Facetime, where as I use FB messenger, so they will say why don't you facetime, because I can't period.

So there is going to be a long lag before this ever gets settled out to a common standard.

As some have mentioned, in the early days, you couldn't text someone on another carrier.

And my last insane problem is do I use on Android, the product version, or the Android version.

Do I use google voice for some things, and even getting my wife to be consistent with me on the functioning of calendaring is a challenge.

So in my case, I just haven't bothered to even think about it, because last thing I need is another mix of messaging into the crazy mix already there.

I recently said to all I know, if you want me, I use FB messenger, don't text me, don't skype me, you can still text me or email me though.  It was just becoming to crazy with all the different modes - it became too much.

I still miss my BB10 OS and the hub, it did it all seamlessly.

Bruce

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

RCS for S8+

Hey I know Rogers has enabled RCS function if you download android messenger. But bell has Samsung messenger native app working for RCS. Does Rogers have any info on when they will enable it?
Link to bell enabling it
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/30/bell-advanced-messaging-canadian-smartphone-owners/

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@daniel10 wrote:

RCS for S8+

Hey I know Rogers has enabled RCS function if you download android messenger. But bell has Samsung messenger native app working for RCS. Does Rogers have any info on when they will enable it?
Link to bell enabling it
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/30/bell-advanced-messaging-canadian-smartphone-owners/

I asked this question about a month ago, I too am waiting for Rogers to enable RCS on the stock Samsung Messenger app. The response I got was it's in the works, but not released yet. 

Hello @daniel10 & @gp-se,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

RCS is definitely a new and exciting feature for Android devices.

Rogers has partnered with Google to be the first telecom to bring RCS Messaging via Android Message. Due to this partnership, I am not sure when the native Samsung Messaging App will be supported for RCS. There is a good possibility this could be something in the works in the near future but we have not been advised when this will happen. We will keep everyone in the loop for when that happens.

It sure is an exciting time for Mobile technology!

Stay tuned.

RogersTony

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, Samsung has promoted that RCS is native in their devices, but if it isn't working as expected, you can always use the Android Messenger App - Google's solution. 

Rogers was the first to introduce it along with their partner service, FIDO, Bell introduced it in August of this year.  Bell is pushing its implementation out on the S8 and Note8.

I suspect that the Google Android messenger app may work on the bell network, but they don't say.

Interesting marketing though - Rogers - first to release on Google android app, (Canadian market by the way, it was available on a broader scale in U.S.) available to all android phones after Marshmellow, and preinstalled on all new phones.  Bell, is first to market it as a fully native solution on the Samsung, while it appears from your experience that it doesn't work on Rogers.

Not the optimum solution as Samsung has marketed that it is service ready natively in the product, but if not working, while waiting, you at least have an alternative of Android Messenger - try downloading it and see if it works.

This seems to be the new thing to differentiate the companies, adding features to the network that are baked into the phones, but not necessarily fully supporting them.

It may come to Rogers, but not stated if or when at this point - they already have their model.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS wrote:

Yes, Samsung has promoted that RCS is native in their devices, but if it isn't working as expected, you can always use the Android Messenger App - Google's solution. 

Rogers was the first to introduce it along with their partner service, FIDO, Bell introduced it in August of this year.  Bell is pushing its implementation out on the S8 and Note8.

I suspect that the Google Android messenger app may work on the bell network, but they don't say.

Interesting marketing though - Rogers - first to release on Google android app, (Canadian market by the way, it was available on a broader scale in U.S.) available to all android phones after Marshmellow, and preinstalled on all new phones.  Bell, is first to market it as a fully native solution on the Samsung, while it appears from your experience that it doesn't work on Rogers.

Not the optimum solution as Samsung has marketed that it is service ready natively in the product, but if not working, while waiting, you at least have an alternative of Android Messenger - try downloading it and see if it works.

This seems to be the new thing to differentiate the companies, adding features to the network that are baked into the phones, but not necessarily fully supporting them.

It may come to Rogers, but not stated if or when at this point - they already have their model.

Bruce

@BS On my Samsung S8 using Google Messenger it does work with Rogers, however I prefer the stock Samsung Messenger Application. I hope Rogers enables it on Samsung Messenger soon! I'm sure the majority of Samsung users are using the stock Samsung Messenger app, so having it enabled would be a great benefit for us. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I like the Samsung Messaging app better also. I don't use it because Rogers RCS only works on Android Messages. Hope they enable it.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Time will tell. This is one of the issues holding RCS back in Canada is restrictions to applications and carriers.

Kind of like text was in the beginning - you could only do Rogers to Rogers.

Agree, hope it comes.

Bruce