cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

Patthe
I plan to stick around

Good day,

I have a Galaxy S6 Edge plus with the latest android marshmallow.

My question is, how do I know when I am using WIFI Calling ?

how can I test it and know it work ?

***Edited Labels***

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Wifi Calling

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Victorchan218

Unfortunately it seems like all Canadian carriers have been doing this since the launch of WiFi Calling.

With the new unlocking policy, i would want to see if Rogers will stop this restriction and let us use the features that we pay for (when getting the device) and have no way of disabling it.

At this moment though it's true. They only support models and phones which are sold by Rogers.

You could try asking Rogers to add the IMEI to the account. But you would also need to use Canadian firmware and use the Rogers CSC code on the phone.

Victorchan218
I plan to stick around
but how can you do it?

Victorchan218
I plan to stick around
Rogers already registered my imei but still nono WiFi feature on my note 8. how you can use Canadian firmware?

@Victorchan218 wrote:
Rogers already registered my imei but still nono WiFi feature on my note 8. how you can use Canadian firmware?

@Victorchan218

You can google how, I personally haven't done it, and I don't suggest it unless you understand the risks. You can damage/brick your phone, and warranty is VOID. I wouldn't suggest doing this, as you can damage the phone, and it still may not work, so it's not worth the risk.

tekguy
I plan to stick around

Not sure if this thread is still valid, but back in March I was travelling and was connected to Wifi at my hotel. I decided to try out the Wifi Calling so I placed my phone in Airplane mode, then turned on Wifi. I don't recall the exact message, it said I had to be connected to a mobile network. For some reason, I just don't trust it enough NOT to use the mobile network. Seems like a risky proposition to me.

If I felt 100% confident I wasn't going to get screwed over, I might have used it for a 2 hour conference call. I saw in an earlier post that somebody said they were able to place a call with Airplane mode and turning on Wifi. Is that lies maybe? Any advice from Rogers or someone who's been billed accurately when using Wifi Calling while traveling would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi @tekguy,

Thanks for reaching out.

Wi-Fi Calling is an extremely handy feature, so I can understand wanting to be sure how it works.  A wealth of information can be found here.

When will my device use Wi-Fi Calling versus the mobile network?

In most cases, when you have access to both the mobile network and Wi-Fi Calling (e.g., you have a Wi-Fi connection that is strong enough to be useable), your device will automatically default to using Wi-Fi Calling. This applies both when you are within Canada and when you are roaming outside of Canada.

For iPhones with iOS 9.1 or later, your device will automatically default to using Wi-Fi Calling when you have access to both Wi-Fi Calling and the mobile network. However, if you have an older version of iOS, your device will automatically default to using the mobile network when in Canada, and Wi-Fi Calling when roaming outside of Canada.

For Android phones, your device will automatically default to using Wi-Fi Calling when you have access to both Wi-Fi Calling and the mobile network. However, you may change your settings on your device to switch the default setting to the mobile network.

I hope this helps!

RogersShaun

someguy495
I've been here awhile

Unfortunately they seem to have also disabled Wi-Fi calling on all unlocked devices, even some o those purchased from Rogers directly. My Galaxy S8 arrived unlocked due to the CRTC unlocking deadline and can't get the IMS registration needed for Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE.

It seems like the only option to get these features is to wait for Rogers to stop blocking unlocked devices or to switch carriers.

Waspman_82
I've been here awhile

I recently received the LG V30 directly from Rogers.com and I am unable to get Wi-Fi calling to work. I go into settings and the option is there but when I attempt to activate it with the verification code that I received via text, it says that it is unable to process my request and that I need to call Rogers customer service.

Over 5 days I've rebooted the device multiple times (ranging from minutes to hours), I've tried with multiple combiations of Wi-Fi & data on or off, and I've even driven over 100km and tried it in 4 different locations on different towers to see if that would work.

I've been to a rogers store but they couldn't figure it out. I've spoken to 4 rogers reps who have all done basic troubleshooting and network resets with no luck, and they even opened a trouble ticket but 5 hours later i received an email saying the issue has been resolved and the ticket has been closed.... Yet, it's still not working.

I'm out of ideas and I have no idea what to do. The V30 sales page on rogers.com under technical data shows the device has Wi-Fi calling, and the options are built into the phone so it should work. However im beginning to think that info is wrong and shouldn't be there because the Wi-Fi calling faq doesnt have the V30 listed as a compatible device.

So is this sometjong the V30 doesn't have? Is it something that is coming in a future update? Or is there more troubleshooting needed?

Please help.

@Waspman_82 wrote:

I recently received the LG V30 directly from Rogers.com and I am unable to get Wi-Fi calling to work. I go into settings and the option is there but when I attempt to activate it with the verification code that I received via text, it says that it is unable to process my request and that I need to call Rogers customer service.

Over 5 days I've rebooted the device multiple times (ranging from minutes to hours), I've tried with multiple combiations of Wi-Fi & data on or off, and I've even driven over 100km and tried it in 4 different locations on different towers to see if that would work.

I've been to a rogers store but they couldn't figure it out. I've spoken to 4 rogers reps who have all done basic troubleshooting and network resets with no luck, and they even opened a trouble ticket but 5 hours later i received an email saying the issue has been resolved and the ticket has been closed.... Yet, it's still not working.

I'm out of ideas and I have no idea what to do. The V30 sales page on rogers.com under technical data shows the device has Wi-Fi calling, and the options are built into the phone so it should work. However im beginning to think that info is wrong and shouldn't be there because the Wi-Fi calling faq doesnt have the V30 listed as a compatible device.

So is this sometjong the V30 doesn't have? Is it something that is coming in a future update? Or is there more troubleshooting needed?

Please help.

@Waspman_82

is there an option to enter your emergency contact address? For WiFi calling to work you need to have your emergency contact info entered. 

Option 2 is find someone with a Rogers/unlocked iPhone and put your SIM card in, then setup wifi calling on that iPhone. After it works put your SIM card back in your LG.

Waspman_82
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the reply,

I can't get far enough in the process to enter an emergency address. As soon as I get the activation code via text and enter it, I get the error to call customer care.

I dont think I know any iphone Rogers users but I will see what I can find.

Thanks for the information,

Waspman_82
I've been here awhile
Further information in regards to the issue I've been having with my Rogers LG V30:
After my first trouble ticket, they were able to fix my account to the point where I could now register for wifi calling. I got the email and text confirmation, and the wifi calling worked for 12 hours before stopping. It originally stopped working when I left for work and came back home.
After 4 days of trial and error and troubleshooting, I've been able to get it to work but only by using EXACT steps.
So my new issue is getting "WI-Fi calling error unable to connect". It would show that the wifi calling was trying to turn on or enable but after 2 minutes it would time out with thar error. However, if I did a power off and restart within that 2 minute window while it was trying to connect, the wifi calling would start working once restarted. (For some reason powering off the phone and powering it back on doesn't work, it has to be the restart option).
Unfortunately, as soon as I connect to a new Wi-Fi network (work, 2nd home network, businesses, etc), the wifi calling will cut out and I will have to redo the restart step otherwise I will get the "unable to connect" error.
This is Extremly annoying because I live in a low coverage area and need wifi calling. I travel for work between multiple locations and connect to anywhere from 2-8 wifi networks a day, so I have to restart my phone every time I switch networks to keep the wifi calling working.
I have a 2nd trouble ticket open on this issue afyer talking to multiple reps, but no word yet.
Sidenote: There is a reddit post in r/lgv30 from a Fido user in Canada who has the EXACT issue with this phone amd has to do the EXACT same steps to solve the problem. So it seems like there is a software issue with the wifi calling.

I hope this info helps other v30 users and if any new info is found, I will update.

Hi,
Why is there only wifi calling option on selected phones? When will Rogers make wifi calling available to Huawei P10?

BS
I'm a senior advisor

Rogers is selective on which phones and which plans they will put WIFI calling on.  It is purely a corporate decision, which we don't seem to have any way to effect change in that policy.  The only phone that you couldn't get WIFI calling on was Pixel 2 when not bought from them, and they have just started supporting those phones.

If you don't have a data plan, they won't provide it, if you bring an unlocked phone, not branded to Rogers (bought from them), they won't support it, and some product lines they won't support either.

So the only answer I see is because Rogers has decided to be this way - I think the other companies do the same.

Bruce

Why doesn't Rogers allow wifi calling on unlocked phones?

Have you enabled wifi calling on Huawei devices yet?

Hello @sergiochaves,

Thank you for your post! I use Wi-Fi calling whenever I am in my basement as the signal is usually a lot weaker down there so I can understand where you are coming from here.

While we would love to be able to provide Wi-Fi calling on all devices but it looks like only Apple, Samsung and LG devices are supported for Wi-Fi calling at this time. We also cannot guarantee that Wi-Fi calling will work on any unlocked devices purchased outside of Rogers as these devices and their software have not been tested on our network.

I know this may not be the answer you were hoping to hear. If anything changes we will keep the Community updated!

RogersTony

daniel10
I plan to stick around
Unlocked phones have the same software as a Roger's device. As soon as you put in a Roger's sim card it will have the Roger's csc and it will download any Roger's update. Wifi calling should work (if the phone supports it) it's just Rogers blocks it via iemi so you have to buy the phone from Roger's

Victorchan218
I plan to stick around
That's very bad Rogers

scarlemsfinest
I'm here a lot
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Contacted Rogers that their network is horrible in my unit of my condo (probably works in 10-15% of my unit) and they told me to enable wifi calling, which when I tried, it told me to contact Rogers, where I was eventually told that since I purchased my phone directly from Samsung, it's not available since I didn't get it from Rogers, yet as soon as I put in my SIM card, everything Rogers pops up on my phone. To make it worse, they raised the price of my plan (was on a grandfathered plan and was 'notified' that they were phasing it out, they text messaged me once to let me know, btw. I thought it was a spam text from an unrecognized number) and the only thing added to my plan was, surprise surprise, additional minutes. I've seen in some of the other threads that people who bought directly from the Apple, Samsung, etc. got the wifi calling activated, so just wondering if that's now possible? I miss about 70% of my calls while at home as they go directly to my voicemail, which eventually comes through to notify me. Also why do most of my texts come through but not phone calls? I'd like to point out my work cell phone is with Bell and works everywhere in my unit.

Good evening @scarlemsfinest,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! 

There is certainly a lot of value in having the ability to use the Wi-Fi Calling feature especially if you experience network connectivity issues at home. If you have a non-Rogers Android device, Wi-Fi Calling may not work. While we would love to be able to provide Wi-Fi calling on all devices, there is no way for us to manually enable it on your phone.

For more information on Wi-Fi Calling over the Rogers Network and to better understand the requirements are, check out the Wi-Fi Calling - Everything You Need to Know article.

If you would like to review your current price plan, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can access your account and get started. If you are not familiar with our Private messaging system please click here.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

daniel10
I plan to stick around
That's wrong, S8 and above wifi calling works on non Roger's devices
Topic Stats