WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

Exactly this. Also my experience and FYI, I genuinely think WiFi Call was never supported on OG Pixel as I had it and was able to get VoLTE to work (after calling to get IMEI Whitelisted) but the WiFi Call toggle was grayed out and always had been in the #4636# menu which leads me to believe that for this model, WiFi calling was just never supported at all by Rogers (i.e. WiFi call won't ever get provisioned if phone model = Pixel). For Pixel 3, both VoLTE and WiFi Call were natively "available" in the #4636# menu, but wouldn't work until IMS registration worked (which as you pointed out seem to only work for non Rogers device when someone on Rogers' side "adds" your IMEI or "toggles" provisioning to your phone). On my Pixel 3 for instance "Video calling" is grayed out which leads me to believe that at the moment (or maybe ever) ; carrier Video calling (Through the Phone app) will never work on any Pixel 3 on Rogers, unless this toggle becomes available eventually.

It's really a weird concept and i genuinely don't get what companies get by doing this. An option to self whitelist your IMEI for instance in the customer space online would be so easy (just like you can update your SIM card number if you swap SIMs). After that, if your phone's VoLTE, WiFi calling (etc.) doesn't work and it's a non Rogers device, I would understand that Rogers will do what they can to help but will be limited in what they can do as they can't cover all phone models / versions. But for phones like Pixels, Essential Phone and the "big brands" (Galaxy phones for instance) there is no reason why functions like VoLTE and WiFi calling couldn't work out of the box really. Of all phones ; ESPECIALLY on the Pixels it doesn't make any sense at all.
I've Been Around

Any updates on this? Does anyone with a pixel 3 have WiFi calling out volte working? I found this thread because I noticed my wifi calling stopped working at some point. Put the Sim card in another phone and it works, back into my pixel 3 and still no go. Don't even have the option under Network anymore. My phone is up to date, not rooted, etc.

Good evening @ChrisWo,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for posting!

For many reasons you may want to be able to use the Wi-Fi calling feature of your Pixel 3.

You indicated that it "stopped working at some point". Was is functional with this particular device in the past?

I can assure you that the Google Pixel 3 has the following specifications:

• 5.5in Full HD+ display
  • 12MP rear camera and dual 8MP front facing camera
  • 2915mAh battery
  • Pressure sensors – squeeze your phone to activate Google Assistant
  • VoLTE and VoWiFi Supported
  • WiFi Calling - Yes

• Are you using a Google Pixel you got directly from Rogers?

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have the Wi-Fi Calling feature enabled in your Settings on a compatible Rogers device with an LTE SIM. You must also subscribe to a Rogers postpaid wireless voice and LTE data plan

Find more details about our Wi-Fi Calling Terms & Conditions, here.

If you meet all the criteria, we may need to further troubleshoot. Let us know!

RogersMaude

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, is anyone having inconsistent connection to WiFi calling on their Pixel 3 (purchased through Rogers)?

WiFi Calling will randomly disconnect and not reconnect unless I reset my phone. It'll stay connected for a period of time, then disconnect for no apparent reason. If I leave one WiFi network and go to another one it rarely reconnects WiFi calling unless the phone is reset. I've tried this on multiple WiFi networks with the same results. When connected it works perfectly fine.

I've factory reset, I've cleared app data, I've reset network settings, I've tried safe mode, I've contacted Rogers (everything good on their end) and had a phone replaced! Nothing seems to remedy the issue.

Anyone else have these issues with their Pixel 3?

I've Been Here Awhile

I just got my Pixel 3 XL from Google and I appear to be having the same issues. I'll be on Rogers Wifi, then randomly it cuts out and goes to a regular Rogers cellular connection. In my case, it does appear to reconnect to Roger Wifi sometimes.

I relied heavily on the wifi-calling on my iPhone 7 in the same house with the same connection. The problem is it works sometimes so when I call tech support they just say its working and it must be my router. Could it be the Pixel phones just have spotty wifi?

I Plan to Stick Around

Weird as I have a non XL and although initially it was a pain to get WiFi calling to work, it now works 100% (ok maybe 99%) of the time. When it doesn't work it's usually that my internet is down or that there indeed is an issue with the router or modem ...
Try it on another WiFi network and check if you actually loose wifi signal too or just WiFi calling?
I Plan to Stick Around

Also make sure all os updates are done (you should be on June security patch) and that the Carrier Services and Phone apps are up to date too.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi everyone, I read thru messages on this board, but it's unclear if the xl 3 will work with wifi calling on Rogers or not.
I am buying a brand new Telus p3 xl, it's extremely important for wifi calling to work for me. Can anyone confirm if this will work or not?
I was under the impression that pixel has an unmodified android and therefore there are all pretty much the same.
I've Been Here Awhile

After I updated my phone to Android Pie 9.0, everything worked smoothly for Wifi calling on my Pixel 3 XL. I also recommend using your wifi calling on using the 2.4g router settings instead of the 5g settings. 5g is faster but a weaker signal. I'm finding I get less complaints about the quality of the call on 2.4g connections.

I've Been Around

Intermittent WIFi Calling now not working at all (pixel 2xl and 3)

I'm at my wits end with WiFi Calling. I've probably contacted Rogers 10 time, and Google support 3 or 4. I have a Google pixel 2xl, and my wife switched 6 months ago to a pixel 3. WiFi calling has been turned on but never connected without issue. Usually we could force it to connect by restarting our devices or using airplane mode. The last couple weeks it won't connect at all. My wife never had issues connecting with her iphone before. I set up our router from scratch again, wiped my phone and set it up again - everything i can think of. Am i the only one with this issue?