WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

@yonexsp wrote:

Notin in the T&C's says you have to buy the phone form Rogers.

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Wi-Fi-Calling-Terms-of-Service.pdf

2. Do I need a specific device or plan to use Wi-Fi Calling?

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have the Wi-Fi Calling feature enabled in your Settings on a compatible Rogers device with an LTE SIM. You must also subscribe to a Rogers postpaid wireless voice and LTE data plan.

I think you found the whole answer in this - Rogers has basically told us in the terms and FAQ's that they support a compatible Rogers device.  They don't clearly define that a Rogers device as being sold by Rogers, but if you read it literally, a Rogers device would be one that came from them, or they have agreed to allow on their network.

And it seems pretty clear in what we have been told that this is exactly what they are saying - no plans at this time to support phones not purchased from Rogers (guess that means a Rogers device).

It would be nice if they were a little more clear in the terms and FAQ's so purchasers can make educated decisions on their purchases.  I may not like their decision, but it is their network, their support, and their corporate decision, and the only power we have on this one as I see it is to keep bringing it up, recognize that terms are written by lawyers and trained staff and are not always intended to be easily understood.  But the truth is out there now and if you bought the phone, unless you are bound into a cancellation fees, you can walk, and if you are still on trial period, you can also walk.

It is kind of a statement on the principle of the whole thing.  Hopefully people will find that Bell will support it and find out if Telus or other providers do so, or Rogers will change their minds.

It is as annoying to me as to anyone else.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Someone on Reddit found a solution concerning RCS. You have to disable the app called Carrier Services, now setup RCS through the Messages app.
Then you can reenable Carrier Services.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9wpcrv/pixel_3_xl_on_att_stuck_on_hspa/?utm_source=red...
I Plan to Stick Around

That's worked, thanks!
I'm Here A Lot

Is there an faq on the procedure? The link is about AT&T and not the Pixel
I Plan to Stick Around

Quick update ; I'm not sure what hapenned or when it hapenned but my non Rogers Pixel 3 now has VoLTE working without any action on my end. The only thing I tried (may have a link with this or not) is to disable then renable the "Carrier Services" app in the app settings. It may also just be luck or that Rogers changed something on their end recently ; not sure.

IMS Registration = Registered
Voice over LTE = Available 
UT Interface = Available

Voice over WiFI (WiFI calling) remains "unavailable" however and even if it shows in the Phone Info settings "WiFi calling  provisioned = Yes", when I try to turn it on, even after contacting support I get prompted with a "Unfortunately your accounr isn't eligible for Rogers Wi-Fi Calling" (and it is, I confirmed with customer service). 

I Plan to Stick Around

That's a bit random but glad it's working for you. So far it's not for me even with that potential fix
I Plan to Stick Around

And I confirm that WiFi Calling now works for me.
After seeing VoLTE worked figured I'd give it another shot. While NOT being logged on to a WiFi netowrk (only LTE), I was able to flip the switch for Wi-Fi calling to "ON" and then got prompted with a page where I capture my e911 address, name (Etc). Once I did that I was prompted to go back to Wi-Fi calling to turn it on but it wouldn't turn on / work right away ; I had to restart the phone, waited 10-15 minutes and then flip the switch back off/on again, with Wi-Fi network turned on this time. I also got an email saying I successfully registered for Wi-Fi calling from rogers.

Just placed a first Wi-Fi call (shows up as "Wi-Fi Call" when you dial out in the dialer app) and worked flawlessly. Tried my voicemail ; also works. So there is hope people ; call and complain if it doesn't work for you.

I Plan to Stick Around

darn still no luck here. Goes straight to the "sorry wifi calling isn't available for your device" you may be the lucky one on this front.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sorry about the bad link, I don't know what happened I copied it straight from Reddit.

Anyway, this should be the right one: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9wn1i0/for_those_on_rogers_with_issues_setting_up_rcs_...
I Plan to Stick Around

So I caved, returned my Google purchased Pixel 3 and bought a Rogers Pixel 3.

My Wifi Calling experience:

Was able to turn Wifi Calling on, provision my number, add my e911 address and seemingly have everything working. My Wifi calling seeming to work intermittently, however never 100% of the time, even when I would be on a strong WiFi signal at home.

Contacted Rogers, they walked me through a bunch of steps to try to figure out why it wouldn't stay connected continuously (including resetting my wireless profile in their system, activating WiFi calling on my number). After the end of it all, with it still no connecting continuously, the Rogers help agent went away for a bit to find out if there were any Pixel 3 specific issues with WiFi calling. They came back and said the following:

"Thank you for your patience. I have some bad news, unfortunately. Smiley Sad At this time, Wi-Fi calling is not available for the Pixel3. It's a relatively new phone so this may change, but we, unfortunately, do not have an estimated support date."

This was on November 16, 2018. So I guess WiFi calling still isn't officially supported by Rogers, and who knows when it will be. It's really disappointing that Google's flagship phone doesn't get the same support as iPhone.

Smiley Sad

Coming on PPV!
Pacquaio vs. Broner Live
LIVE: Saturday January 19, 2019 9PM ET
Preshow: 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!
Live Weigh-In January 18th @ 6PM ET

Promotional content running all day on CH 368 DTV & 430 Ignite TV until January 19th @ 9PM

Topic Stats