WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

Does anyone know if you need to have Pixel 3 purchased through Rogers to have access to WiFi calling? I bought my Pixel from Google.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers wants people to buy devices from them so they lock the IMEI's capable of using WiFi Calling to only those they sold.

This is thr ONLY reason I buy from Rogers as I need this feature since there is near zero reception at my house and I work from home a lot.
I Plan to Stick Around

Brutal.

I pay full price for a plan, I should have access to the same features as Rogers sold phones.

Time to switch to another carrier I guess.
I Plan to Stick Around

To my knowledge it's always been like this, should it be? No but not much I can do Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

And that's where you are wrong. With phones now required to be unlocked and seeing that without Rogers doing anything on their end, when I put a SIM card in that was previously in a Rogers VoLTE enabled device for which VoLTE works, VoLTE then works for a short period of time until the network registers the non Rogers device, you can call Rogers to complain or call the Crtc and file a complaint. Especially with devices like Pixel phones which are as close as it gets to iPhones in the Android world in terms of stock software (as in there are no differences between a Rogers and Google Store device), there is no reason at all to not have this work out of the box. It does in several carriers around the globe, even some in the USA now.

Greetings Community!

I can certainly understand your disappointment with the Wi-Fi Calling feature not working on your newly purchased Google Pixel 3's. =(

I really wish I had better news but unfortunately, at this time, only Android devices purchased from Rogers can use Wi-Fi calling on the Rogers Network.

If this changes at any time we will keep the Community updated.

RogersTony

I Plan to Stick Around

What a terrible business plan...don't offer all costumers the available options so that they leave your network and go to one which does...well done. 👏🏼👏🏼
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone knows if other carriers like bell and Telus also block phones purchased through Google? I am seriously considering changing providers.

Thanks  

I Plan to Stick Around

I contacted Bell. They said:

"As long as your device is compatible, you can enjoy WiFi calling."

So regardless of whether the device is purchased from Bell or comes to the network unlocked, you get full access to WiFi calling and VoLTE.
I've Been Here Awhile

For what it is worth, tried to set up wifi calling on the Pixel 3 purchased from Google with a bell SIM, did not even get the option to activate wifi calling. Tried it on the Pixel 2 XL that was purchased from Rogers, no luck either. It is a shame we do not have a lot of providers in Canada and we are stuck with terrible expensive service.