cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

coreyvelan
I've been here awhile

I just got the Pixel 3. The phone appears to let you turn on wifi calling, but it doesn't actually work. I called Rogers support and they said wifi calling isn't supported yet on the pixel 3 and he didn't know if it would be. Anyone know if it will be? If not, I think I'll have to return the phone. Reception in my house is brutal and wifi calling on my s7 edge saved me.

***Edited Labels***

71 REPLIES 71

Re: WiFi Calling for Pixel 3

JeromeM
I plan to stick around
Rogers wants people to buy devices from them so they lock the IMEI's capable of using WiFi Calling to only those they sold.

This is thr ONLY reason I buy from Rogers as I need this feature since there is near zero reception at my house and I work from home a lot.

msav999
I plan to stick around
Brutal.

I pay full price for a plan, I should have access to the same features as Rogers sold phones.

Time to switch to another carrier I guess.

JeromeM
I plan to stick around
To my knowledge it's always been like this, should it be? No but not much I can do 🙂

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around
And that's where you are wrong. With phones now required to be unlocked and seeing that without Rogers doing anything on their end, when I put a SIM card in that was previously in a Rogers VoLTE enabled device for which VoLTE works, VoLTE then works for a short period of time until the network registers the non Rogers device, you can call Rogers to complain or call the Crtc and file a complaint. Especially with devices like Pixel phones which are as close as it gets to iPhones in the Android world in terms of stock software (as in there are no differences between a Rogers and Google Store device), there is no reason at all to not have this work out of the box. It does in several carriers around the globe, even some in the USA now.

Greetings Community!

I can certainly understand your disappointment with the Wi-Fi Calling feature not working on your newly purchased Google Pixel 3's. =(

I really wish I had better news but unfortunately, at this time, only Android devices purchased from Rogers can use Wi-Fi calling on the Rogers Network.

If this changes at any time we will keep the Community updated.

RogersTony

msav999
I plan to stick around
What a terrible business plan...don't offer all costumers the available options so that they leave your network and go to one which does...well done. 👏🏼👏🏼

Batta
I've been here awhile

Anyone knows if other carriers like bell and Telus also block phones purchased through Google? I am seriously considering changing providers.

Thanks  

msav999
I plan to stick around
I contacted Bell. They said:

"As long as your device is compatible, you can enjoy WiFi calling."

So regardless of whether the device is purchased from Bell or comes to the network unlocked, you get full access to WiFi calling and VoLTE.

Batta
I've been here awhile

For what it is worth, tried to set up wifi calling on the Pixel 3 purchased from Google with a bell SIM, did not even get the option to activate wifi calling. Tried it on the Pixel 2 XL that was purchased from Rogers, no luck either. It is a shame we do not have a lot of providers in Canada and we are stuck with terrible expensive service.

BS
I'm a senior advisor
Thanks Batts for reporting your experience.

That was my concern when I read the post of Bell. The word compatable. Rogers says the same thing but only branded phones are defined as compatable.

Thinking though. If you just got your plan and find this out and are within the trial period conditions you can port your number to another company. On principle is all you are doing.

It really is the only buyer power we have.

Maybe report contact your MP and describe it as another example of companies restricting access to choice of portability and where you buy your phone. That is the principle of why locking was banned.

Maybe a fair fee to set up the feature. Unfortunately this is a corporate level decision.

Just thinking out loud on what options people have who have been locked out of this feature because they bought the phone from the manufacturer. Same phone just not fully provisioned.

Bruce 😞

trimaican
I plan to stick around
For me it now puts my service on par with the likes of Koodo but with plans being more enticing.

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

To me the concern is really that the service IS comptabile. With a Pixel 3, of all devices ; it does not require any effort on Roger's end to make this work, other than them allowing your device to IMS Register and use the functionality (provisioned natively for this phone) on their network. So saying you need a "compatible" device is not correct ; you really need a device with Wi-fi calling AND a Rogers registered IMEI.

The proof being ; for VoLTE, as per my previous post, if I put my SIM in a Rogers VoLTE compatible phone, let the network register the device (10-20 minutes) and then put it in my Pixel 3 ; VoLTE works perfectly without any efforts, natively for 10-15 minutes until the network un-registers me as it detects my non Rogers device. I don't have a Rogers Wi-Fi calling capable device handy now but have seen this in the past on a previous device ; same process. Wi-Fi calling on Device X was previously activated, address for e911 registerd and wifi calling therefore works ; put the SIM card in a non Rogers Samsung S8+, Wi-Fi calling works ... For 10-15 minutes, then devices gets un-registered ; no more VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling.

I really don't get how this is still a thing with all phones needing to be unlocked now. I absolutely get that Rogers cannot support all android devices that exist and have some implementation of wi-fi calling ; there are way too many android devices out there. But that they on purpose won't allow the functionality to stay turned on if they don't recognize your IMEI (but have no problem with you using data / voice with that same device) ; THAT, I don't get. 

BS
I'm a senior advisor
To clarify a bit. Compatable with their definition under their business and marketing decisions. Not the technical definition of how the product works. All providers pick and choose whether they want to support a feature and they clearly have chosen not to. Don't try to understand this stuff with too much logic. The logic is simple. It is a business decision and we are stuck with no way to fight it but keep asking or just walk away on principle. I am a customer just like you. I don't get the feature because I don't purchase data but theoretically it can work because it uses a non charged stream of data for vote and wifi calling doesn't need data.

No competition on this one unless one of the companies decides to step up.. Take care.

msav999
I plan to stick around
I talked to Bell again, they don't actually support the Pixel 3 for WiFi calling yet, but are hoping to have it soon.

The agent reassured me that once the support is there, any Pixel 3 (not necessarily purchased from Bell) will have access to WiFi calling/VoLTE.

Hopefully that's not just lip service...Bell here I come!

WOW!  I have 5 phones on Rogers, all unlocked, all contract free. $350 a month is leaving ASAP.

I have finally had enough of Rogers.

Unlocked is unlocked, I pay for the service, so the sis a breach of contract on Rogers side IMHO. 

yonexsp
I'm here a lot

Notin in the T&C's says you have to buy the phone form Rogers.

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Wi-Fi-Calling-Terms-of-Service.pdf

2. Do I need a specific device or plan to use Wi-Fi Calling?

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have the Wi-Fi Calling feature enabled in your Settings on a compatible Rogers device with an LTE SIM. You must also subscribe to a Rogers postpaid wireless voice and LTE data plan.

Does TELUS? 

I will switch today if someone can confirm TELUS supports it.

trimaican
I plan to stick around
Different question but if you have an unlocked iPhone does the same rules apply? I always thought they didn't but never tried.

Believe restrictions like this in their inception we're back in the days where a device like the Galaxy S4 had a handful of different SKUs based on which carrier they were for. But I digress. For those that bought through Rogers, is WiFi calling and VoLTE working for you now?

Test12478120532
I plan to stick around

Unlocked iPhones work as Apple has the "power" to impose their rules to carrier. Basically ; if you want to sell iPhones, all functionalities they define need to work (VVM, VoLTE, WiFi, etc.)... Not "Exactly" how this works but you get the idea and so yes ; it will work regardless of where your iPhone 6 (or more recent) comes from. 

And yes, the SKU/model/software version/hardware differences between devices could still apply in some cases I guess (example ; I could understand if Exynos vs Snapdragon version of some Samsung phones might actually be problematic to both support if the carrier only has one setup to work with their network), however for Pixel devices this is where the irony is. A Google Store Pixel 3 is identical to a T-Mobile Pixel 3, to a Rogers Pixel 3, a Videotron Pixel 3 with the difference being ; when you stick your (Company XYZ) SIM card in it, a few carrier specific things might get installed (Carrier services, My Rogers app, etc.). I think there is one Korean (or other asia country) variant but rest of the world as the same Pixel and has a "pure" software OS that should be the same and get the same updates at a few days interval worlwide.

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@yonexsp wrote:

Notin in the T&C's says you have to buy the phone form Rogers.

http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/Wi-Fi-Calling-Terms-of-Service.pdf

2. Do I need a specific device or plan to use Wi-Fi Calling?

To use Wi-Fi Calling, you must have the Wi-Fi Calling feature enabled in your Settings on a compatible Rogers device with an LTE SIM. You must also subscribe to a Rogers postpaid wireless voice and LTE data plan.

I think you found the whole answer in this - Rogers has basically told us in the terms and FAQ's that they support a compatible Rogers device.  They don't clearly define that a Rogers device as being sold by Rogers, but if you read it literally, a Rogers device would be one that came from them, or they have agreed to allow on their network.

And it seems pretty clear in what we have been told that this is exactly what they are saying - no plans at this time to support phones not purchased from Rogers (guess that means a Rogers device).

It would be nice if they were a little more clear in the terms and FAQ's so purchasers can make educated decisions on their purchases.  I may not like their decision, but it is their network, their support, and their corporate decision, and the only power we have on this one as I see it is to keep bringing it up, recognize that terms are written by lawyers and trained staff and are not always intended to be easily understood.  But the truth is out there now and if you bought the phone, unless you are bound into a cancellation fees, you can walk, and if you are still on trial period, you can also walk.

It is kind of a statement on the principle of the whole thing.  Hopefully people will find that Bell will support it and find out if Telus or other providers do so, or Rogers will change their minds.

It is as annoying to me as to anyone else.

Bruce

FoleyRose
I plan to stick around
Someone on Reddit found a solution concerning RCS. You have to disable the app called Carrier Services, now setup RCS through the Messages app.
Then you can reenable Carrier Services.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9wpcrv/pixel_3_xl_on_att_stuck_on_hspa/?utm_source=red...
Topic Stats